1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ still won't start—suggestions?

You can also run gauge check by pressing trip odo button and turning key to on. Then release trip odo button. Gauges and lights should go through self test.

Yes, remove connectors, look for corrosion, bent pins, etc., reconnect.

So did the gauge check. Still didn’t want to start. Cranked for about 8 times. Finally started. After it has started. It starts on first try. But after an hour will be hard to start again. Like it isn’t getting any spark and then all of a sudden it does. Or fuel is finally injected and then ignites. I’m completely stumped.

Look in the FSM, it tells you how to measure the coils resistance and what values to expect. There are 2 sets of values in my 92's FSM depending on vendor.

so replaced the coil. still hard to start. like it isnt getting any spark still. gauges still dont come up when you turn the key on. After several tries it did start, but still have to crank multiple times. checked fuel pressure and still around 50 psi and holding. So im down to 2 things left to check or replace, camshaft position sensor or computer. Thoughts?

Is your battery and its grounds known to be good?

Take the terminals off your battery and clean them and the battery posts. Reinstall tight. Try again.

Get the battery tested or switch in another known good battery. Even if it cranks, a marginal or failing battery can fail to power the computer, etc.

I think you said you already checked, but grab the FSM from here and check all of the grounds for the computer (I think there are 2 or 3 on my 2004, not sure about your model year).

Cant seem to get it to show codes. I do have a code reader and nothing shows. It popped over once but wouldn’t stay running.
You need to go full counter clockwise.

Key in
Cw to on, but not crank
Full ccw
Cw to on, but not crank
Full ccw
Cw to on, but not crank
Wait

You're also doing it much faster than I do.

Mines a 97 as well. You should always get a 55 code.

Check your ignition switch. I had one go bad, everything in the jeep would shut off while i was driving. I would turn the key a little bit and everything would come back on. I changed the switch in the column, haven't had a problem since.

Reactions: Turdworlder
Check your ignition switch. I had one go bad, everything in the jeep would shut off while i was driving. I would turn the key a little bit and everything would come back on. I changed the switch in the column, haven't had a problem since.
Yes, most people here just kick you into sensors noghtmare. Its your key ignition

Chrysler is very crappy at electronics and plastic parts. The only thing holding jeeps name is engine. Even crappy opel is not as bad as chrysler

Yes, most people here just kick you into sensors noghtmare. Its your key ignition
It thru me for a while. because at first if i turned the key off and restarted it was fine. Then finally when it happened I started playing with the key and everything would work again. All the contacts in the switch were worn out. safetychf problem might be the switch, it might start but when the key is released to the run position it loses all the contacts. That's where I would start. The switch is cheap and easy to change.