1997 TJ 4.0 to LS 5.3 Gen 3 Swap

myjeep3

TJ Enthusiast
Hello,

I am prepping to do an LS Swap in my 97 TJ with manual transmission, and 4.0 engine. I know there are many docs on this, but wanted to go through the list of parts needed.
I called Novak and they sent me a list of parts for the build. I am planning on retaining the 5 speed transmission and transfer case. I will be getting an LS 5.3 Gen 3. Planning on getting this motor out of a 2000 Silverado 1500

Attached is the part list I got from Novak, if we can go through it and remove that is not needed. I numbered the parts from 1 to 33

1.png

2.png

3.png

• USA Proud
Reactions: CreepinDeth
Thanks for sharing this information

Im genuinely interested in a LSx swap thread sticky for all interested hobbyists to source info to entertain a swap. I think enough people have done this and should know the do’s and don’ts by now??

I LS swapped my 04 and have a few things you can do to save some money without sacrificing quality.
  • Find a set of OEM cast LT1 headers on Ebay. They run on average about $200 shipped and fit in the TJ frame no problem. They hug the block really well.
    1713275721075.png
  • Get your radiator from Superioradiator.com, specifically the 1987-2005 jeep wrangler ls motor conversion radiator with 16 inch fan and shroud. This runs for $550.
    1713275889925.png
  • The SYE, NP231 rebuild kit and TC shifter cable can be found through various other sources. Some sites will offer discounts if you're a JF member.
All in all, just this would save you about $800-$1000.

388$ billet flywheel? Not for me if it isn't custom and necessary.

Also,800$ for "wiring harness modification" seems excessive.are they combining the tj/gm harnesses or just making the gm harness standalone? It isn't hard to do yourself and get a stock ecm reprogrammed cheaply

Reactions: Wildman
I LS swapped my 04 and have a few things you can do to save some money without sacrificing quality.
  • Find a set of OEM cast LT1 headers on Ebay. They run on average about $200 shipped and fit in the TJ frame no problem. They hug the block really well.
    View attachment 519215
  • Get your radiator from Superioradiator.com, specifically the 1987-2005 jeep wrangler ls motor conversion radiator with 16 inch fan and shroud. This runs for $550.
    View attachment 519217
  • The SYE, NP231 rebuild kit and TC shifter cable can be found through various other sources. Some sites will offer discounts if you're a JF member.

Definitely! Good finding.

388$ billet flywheel? Not for me if it isn't custom and necessary.

Also,800$ for "wiring harness modification" seems excessive.are they combining the tj/gm harnesses or just making the gm harness standalone? It isn't hard to do yourself and get a stock ecm reprogrammed cheaply

They will just rework the oem harness. Their pricing see too high. I read that reprogramming the ecm can cost as little as 75$ on Ebay?

Reactions: Wildman
They will just rework the oem harness. Their pricing see too high. I read that reprogramming the ecm can cost as little as 75$ on Ebay?

I used this site to make my silverado harness stand alone and had him program it.also went auto to manual configuration.

https://lt1swap.com/

There are new stand alone harnesses available as well for less than 800$

Nice! Good i
I used this site to make my silverado harness stand alone and had him program it.also went auto to manual configuration.

There are new stand alone harnesses available as well for less than 800

Great info on that site. What was the cost to sort out the harness and program the ecm?

Reprogramming was less than $100. I don't remember what now.

I did the harness myself using the info he provides. He just asks that you consider using him for the programming.

There are new stand alone harnesses available as well for less than 800$

lt1 swap FTW! I used this site to pinout and thin my harness. Super easy and well documented.

• USA Proud
Reactions: Rickyd and myjeep3
The Novak prices are really high for sure, but it's nice to have a list. I have their tach emulator and fuel pump integration system. My buddy bought a built TH400 trans for his LS swap from Novak and they didn't build it correctly. He had to spend $1700 to a local shop for the correct parts and labor. The Novak trans builder put 4L80 parts in the TH400 which is scary given how much he paid for the trans.

View attachment 519215
    View attachment 519217

I'd stay away from the Superior Radiator after all the issues I've read about with guys who used them in their Magnum swaps. And what brand fan is used? As @NashvilleTJ found out not all fans are made alike.
https://wizardcooling.com/ makes a high quality unit and uses SPAL brushless fans also.

Reactions: Obi-Wan and Sj's TJ
I'd stay away from the Superior Radiator after all the issues I've read about with guys who used them in their Magnum swaps. And what brand fan is used? As @NashvilleTJ found out not all fans are made alike.
https://wizardcooling.com/ makes a high quality unit and uses SPAL brushless fans also.

I only speak from experience. I have had the same radiator / fan setup suggested in my LS TJ for almost 10 years now with zero issues. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: Obi-Wan
Did find a motor for my build, a vortec 5.3L out of a 2004 Silverado with 130k miles.

It is a drive by wire, I also have the pedal. Should I convert it to a drive by wire as my TJ petal already have a wire? What is needed?

Did find a motor for my build, a vortec 5.3L out of a 2004 Silverado with 130k miles.

It is a drive by wire, I also have the pedal. Should I convert it to a drive by wire as my TJ petal already have a wire? What is needed?

Drive by wire is electronically activated & your TJ would be a drive by cable unless it's been changed. I've only owned newer rigs with drive by wire so I can't say which would be better in your situation.

Reactions: myjeep3
Drive by wire is electronically activated & your TJ would be a drive by cable unless it's been changed. I've only owned newer rigs with drive by wire so I can't say which would be better in your situation.

Yes, the TJ is a drive by cable, though I could just use the jeep pedal, but apparently I cannot. I will just keep the drive by wire setup.