1998 Jeep TJ 2.5 automatic to 5.3 4L60E swap complete

Very nice work! I bought a 5.3L today to swap into my 97 2.5L auto.
@Aaron Paul Did you consider the 4l80 tranny, or was it's larger size and weight a drawback?
Did you install a body lift ?

I went with the 4l60 as it came with my donor truck. just added a trans cooler for longevity.

1.5" body lift was previously installed prior to the motor swap.

Reactions: KCsTJ
Hi Aaron,
Nice build, just in the middle of my build, same but I added the 5 speed. I like your gauges, do you have the model numbers, this part stumps me. Ohms etc. Thanks

All are Autometer electric short sweeps.

I actually bought a complete corvette dash setup off of Facebook marketplace and repurposed the gauges.

Autometer Fuel sending unit will be needed as the jeep one won't work with the gauge.

I added the trans temp on the pillar and an aeroforce in my tuffy console.

Good luck!

Mine is pretty much the same build! Truck motors are better for the Jeeps for that low end torque. If you haven't already, take care of the 4L60E weak points. I did that before I put it in the Jeep since I already had it apart for the output shaft. Jeep is a completely different animal after the swap. I had to go through CA smog stuff as well to make it street legal swap!

Good job on getting it done!!
I’m at the stage of my 5.3/4L60e swap that I’m trying to figure out how and where in the world I’m gonna put the factory 5.3 Cats. Not a lot of room especially on the drivers side with the front driveline! Any pics, pointers, or advice? Thanks!

I’m at the stage of my 5.3/4L60e swap that I’m trying to figure out how and where in the world I’m gonna put the factory 5.3 Cats. Not a lot of room especially on the drivers side with the front driveline! Any pics, pointers, or advice? Thanks!

Watch the end of my video and you can see how my shop did it.

• Love
Reactions: taylormade73
@Longhorn84 is in Houston. I'm in Roseville. I did the exhaust myself twice. First time referee didn't pass it because the routing wasn't exactly like 03 Tahoe. You are more than welcome to come see it in person. Driver's side is VERY tight but it works! I'll find some pictures and post them here.

Here's the front and rear view of the driver's side. Picture makes it look like the cat is touching the frame but it's not. With this setup, I was still able to keep my flat belly pan.

20160903_132103.jpg

20161022_162450.jpg

20161022_162346.jpg

@Longhorn84 is in Houston. I'm in Roseville. I did the exhaust myself twice. First time referee didn't pass it because the routing wasn't exactly like 03 Tahoe. You are more than welcome to come see it in person. Driver's side is VERY tight but it works! I'll find some pictures and post them here.
Ok my bad! Some pics would be great! That explains why Longorn84 has headers I am guessing. I also assume that we Californians probably won’t get away with running that cat under the oil pan. I have the factory Tahoe manifolds and cats and I’m trying to figure out if that will work to take to a good muffler shop.

Ok my bad! Some pics would be great! That explains why Longorn84 has headers I am guessing. I also assume that we Californians probably won’t get away with running that cat under the oil pan. I have the factory Tahoe manifolds and cats and I’m trying to figure out if that will work to take to a good muffler shop.
FYI, stock truck exhaust manifolds will not work. The ones from 2010 Camero SS works beautifully! See the pictures above. This the final product.

20161029_101918.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Wildman