1998 Sahara Collision Repair

L-Beez

Hey Guys,

As you can see, i got int a bit of a fender bender in the good ol girl and was looking for suggestions for things i havent thought of to start pulling her apart and rebuilding as needed.

As you can see, ill definitely need to replace the front grill, passenger quarter panel, Radiator, Hoses and Belt, Fan, and possibly some front mounted components (Water Pump, AC compressor, etc). I also noticed after the accident i was leaking transmission fluid, so probably the transmission cooler lines as well. (Yes i have the three speed Auto)

I also noticed my gas peddle seems to be bent, not sure if that was from me slamming the brakes in the accident or if something else happened.

Any suggestions on where to start besides the obvious of taking the damaged panels/components off, or any other suggestions to check? Would it be more beneficial and cost effective to replace with OEM parts or aftermarket?

Thanks in Advance!

Last edited:
57D7A1E4-A98F-4867-8B26-1C7CA6E8171F.jpeg
34956654-399A-456C-A8B8-786F04491751.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: Allstar424
I also might add that the steering seems fine, and it also runs as well. The only issue i saw when it was running was the serpentine belt was rubbing on the fan. Other than that she starts every time.

Ideas on tackling this myself of taking it to a collision shop..

The first place to start is by taking it to a professional body shop and getting an assessment of the damage. They need to put it on a rack and check the frame, because there's a very good chance the frame is bent, at which point any repairs you do will not be enough.

Usually they'll give you an estimate for free, which is where you should start. If the frame is straight, then you'll need new inner fenders, a new hood, new fenders, grille, and possibly more. You can source all those parts using http://car-part.com or eBay.

Reactions: skrelnik and L-Beez
The first place to start is by taking it to a professional body shop and getting an assessment of the damage. They need to put it on a rack and check the frame, because there's a very good chance the frame is bent, at which point any repairs you do will not be enough.

Usually they'll give you an estimate for free, which is where you should start. If the frame is straight, then you'll need new inner fenders, a new hood, new fenders, grille, and possibly more. You can source all those parts using http://car-part.com or eBay.

Chris to the rescue once again.

Thanks,

Reactions: Chris
No problem! That's definitely the place to start though, just because you want to make sure there isn't any actual frame damage, otherwise all the new parts aren't going to line up correctly.

Do you have full coverage insurance?

No problem! That's definitely the place to start though, just because you want to make sure there isn't any actual frame damage, otherwise all the new parts aren't going to line up correctly.

Do you have full coverage insurance?
Yeah i was hoping there was no frame damage since majority of it happened above the bumper line, but you have valid point. Just eager to get wokring on it again since spring is coming up and the trails will be opening soon.

And since it was my second vehicle no i dont, so this repair is going to be coming all out of pocket for me. The vehicle i hit had no brake lights, (hence why i ended up hitting them) but since im in Colorado, im at fault regardless. :cautious:

Reactions: Chris
Yeah i was hoping there was no frame damage since majority of it happened above the bumper line, but you have valid point. Just eager to get wokring on it again since spring is coming up and the trails will be opening soon.

Let us know how the visit to the frame shop turns out. I have 2002 that was hit and now has a bent frame. It's a second vehicle for me too and I need to find some time to get it on a frame rack in the next few weeks.