1998 steering wheel starting to look and feel like a 1998 steering wheel

jrmcafee

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I bought my 1998 TJ about 5 months ago in a non-running condition and have been steadily making improvements to make it sea-worthy once more. The PO left the top off of the Jeep for a good long time (can't say exactly how long) in a carport, so it's had perhaps even more weather exposure than a typical TJ.

That said, the steering wheel resin has started coming off in my hands on humid days and the horn doesn't appear to be working (I haven't investigated the fuse situation to see if it's as simple as that; however the center doesn't have any sort of pressure response so I think it's something else).

Never been a fan of the neoprene/faux leather covers and wraps, even though that's definitely the more economical option. Anyone have ideas about the full replacement (level-of-effort and means vs. ends) or other unconventional ways to restore/seal the resin?

Definitely watching this one, my 2000 has the same steering wheel design and I think it looks absolutely hideous. I've wondered if the newer four spoke design would work as a replacement.

I bought my 1998 TJ about 5 months ago in a non-running condition and have been steadily making improvements to make it sea-worthy once more. The PO left the top off of the Jeep for a good long time (can't say exactly how long) in a carport, so it's had perhaps even more weather exposure than a typical TJ.

That said, the steering wheel resin has started coming off in my hands on humid days and the horn doesn't appear to be working (I haven't investigated the fuse situation to see if it's as simple as that; however the center doesn't have any sort of pressure response so I think it's something else).

Never been a fan of the neoprene/faux leather covers and wraps, even though that's definitely the more economical option. Anyone have ideas about the full replacement (level-of-effort and means vs. ends) or other unconventional ways to restore/seal the resin?
Just buy a new steering wheel

Reactions: TheBoogieman
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018FM4X2K/?tag=wranglerorg-20
I put one on the TJ and liked it so much, I ordered another for my GMC Sierra 2500.

A bit tedious stitching it on, but great quality.
I did the same thing. My steering wheel was all sticky and disintegrating. Looks new now. For 10 bucks.

Or buy a new steering wheel. There is a guy on ebay that redoes the leather and sells them complete.

Reactions: jrmcafee
I wrapped mine in paracord.

Edit - here’s a pic. I wasn’t sure how it was going to turn out, but I ended up liking it. I’m not a fan of steering wheel covers so I though I’d give it a shot.

39DE6568-1D1D-4202-ACAF-ED5C291EFE4C.jpeg

Swapping a steering wheel is pretty simple. There are two bolts on the back side, one each on right and left, that hold on the airbag. Once those are out, lift the airbag up and unplug it from the harness. Then unplug the cruise buttons if you have them. Remove the single nut in the center, then you'll need a puller to pull the steering wheel. Any auto parts store should have a puller to rent.

Reactions: jrmcafee and LJGreg
Swapping a steering wheel is pretty simple. There are two bolts on the back side, one each on right and left, that hold on the airbag. Once those are out, lift the airbag up and unplug it from the harness. Then unplug the cruise buttons if you have them. Remove the single nut in the center, then you'll need a puller to pull the steering wheel. Any auto parts store should have a puller to rent.

First step should be: Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Wait two minutes for the system capacitor to
discharge before further service.

Try a good quality lace-on leather steering wheel cover, you'll love it. Leather won't cause your hands to perspire and being lace-on means it will fit tight and not look like something you bought at Autozone. I've laced leather covers on several steering wheels over the years and all turned out great.

Reactions: Big-Al
So I should be able to switch from a older style wheel to the newer 03+ style without any other modifications? Or I'm guessing your talking about swapping same style wheel.

Try a good quality lace-on leather steering wheel cover, you'll love it. Leather won't cause your hands to perspire and being lace-on means it will fit tight and not look like something you bought at Autozone. I've laced leather covers on several steering wheels over the years and all turned out great.
Two things:

1. How long did it take you to do it? I'm not usually patient for tedious things like this but may have to learn. My steering wheel is getting too ratty to continue this way.

2. Did you remove the wheel to work the lace easier?

Two things:

1. How long did it take you to do it? I'm not usually patient for tedious things like this but may have to learn. My steering wheel is getting too ratty to continue this way.

2. Did you remove the wheel to work the lace easier?
It might have taken 30-45 minutes start to finish. It's not small stitching like comes on nice factory leather-covered steering wheels, it's like a small diameter lace like used on high quality lace-up dress shoes. But small enough that it still looks good and blends in once you're done. I'd say it's easier installing it with the steering wheel mounted than if it was loose.

Just make sure it's made from real leather. There are a lot of very misleading terms used to make unsuspecting people think it's leather when it's not. Faux leather being one, there are other similar misleading terms. Try to find something described as Full Grain or Top Grain leather. Split, genuine, or bonded are lower grades with bonded being a thin skin of leather over vinyl of similar.

Some that have "leather" in their names aren't leather at all so if it doesn't say Full Grain or Top Grain in front of leather, look up the word they're using to see what it means. Avoid "leatherette", "imitation leather", "faux leather", "vegan leather", "PU leather" and "pleather

Reactions: Big-Al and jrmcafee
I've done it - its a bit tedious, but doable. In fact, I need to do it again - the Mercedes wheelskin is showing wear after 20 years, its time for a new one. If you can lace a corset, you can lace a steering wheel! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
So it sounds like the most logical options are:
  • Lace ::: cheap, least time and effort
  • Custom wheel ::: expensive, significant ship-time and install time and effort
  • OEM replacement ::: moderate, install time and effort
I'm not a fan of the thicker grip so as close to OEM as possible is ideal. Like @Joe Biden I'd like to know how cross-compatible wheels are between the TJ model iterations. For better or worse, my SE has no steering wheel controls at all and I'd probably look for another that doesn't. It would annoy my anal-retentive nerve to have controls that didn't function.

So I should be able to switch from a older style wheel to the newer 03+ style without any other modifications? Or I'm guessing your talking about swapping same style wheel.
They should be compatible for install, but I’d check to make sure the older clockspring is compatible with the newer airbag.