1998 steering wheel starting to look and feel like a 1998 steering wheel

They should be compatible for install, but I’d check to make sure the older clockspring is compatible with the newer airbag.
I have no idea how I would do that but thanks for the info.

I have no idea how I would do that but thanks for the info.
I searched and found that the splines should be the same among the years (36 splines) but I can't find anything that says definitively that the newer airbag is compatible with the older clockspring.

Reactions: TJ Starting
I replaced mine... went on ebay and bought a TJ steering wheel with leather in good shape, and put that on.

Glad your dad let you drive ;)
Yeah, my dad's pretty cool. I just wish he'd shut up about this TJ! I get it, you installed control arms & welded your own Dana 35 JJ bracket. Good for you dad, but the family doesn't want to hear about how great it is every single night at the dinner table.

Any pics of how it came out installed?
20210612_062537.jpg
20210612_111358.jpg

Last edited:
Do you happen to remember what size you ordered?
When measuring, it was right on the border of M and M-. Initially ordered the M- wanting a snug fit and couldn't get the seams together near the spokes. Returned for an M, which worked out perfectly and is what you see in the TJ pic.

Reactions: srimes
When measuring, it was right on the border of M and M-. Initially ordered the M- wanting a snug fit and couldn't get the seams together near the spokes. Returned for an M, which worked out perfectly and is what you see in the TJ pic.
Perfect...thank you!

Reactions: DaveC
Yeah, my dad's pretty cool. I just wish he'd shut up about this TJ! I get it, you installed control arms & welded your own Dana 35 JJ bracket. Good for you dad, but the family doesn't want to hear about how great it is every single night at the dinner table.
Yeah Dad may never hush up about the jeep, but that young man will ALWAYS remember this time driving !, (behind the steering wheel masterfully para-corded by his brilliant dad ). :)
Good job Dad! , the best thing you did wasn't the steering wheel. ;)

Did you add the new wrap directly on top or did you remove the old wrap?

Did you add the new wrap directly on top or did you remove the old wrap?
Directly on top; just laid it over and stitched it up. If you go this route, you'll want to make sure you go back and tighten the stiches every 5 holes or so using a J hook or something similar that's small and can get under the stitches (I used a hole-punch). That ensures the seam stays nice and tight and keeps it neat.

Around the spokes, you only repeat the stitches on the front side and skip the same # of holes on the back. When you do this, it takes a little trial and error to see how many that should be. I found on both the Jeep and truck that I skipped less than I thought I would in order to keep it nice and tight. It's in the instructions and there are a few YouTube videos out there on how to do these. It's not hard, just tedious and takes a little trial and error until you get the hang of it to see how to keep it tight and neat.

Reactions: Zorba
Directly on top; just laid it over and stitched it up. If you go this route, you'll want to make sure you go back and tighten the stiches every 5 holes or so using a J hook or something similar that's small and can get under the stitches (I used a hole-punch). That ensures the seam stays nice and tight and keeps it neat.

Around the spokes, you only repeat the stitches on the front side and skip the same # of holes on the back. When you do this, it takes a little trial and error to see how many that should be. I found on both the Jeep and truck that I skipped less than I thought I would in order to keep it nice and tight. It's in the instructions and there are a few YouTube videos out there on how to do these. It's not hard, just tedious and takes a little trial and error until you get the hang of it to see how to keep it tight and neat.
Great..thanks. Amazon should be delivering mine today!

I replaced my steering wheel with a used OEM replacement from a Cherokee I believe. Just make sure you get the finish you want, there are a few, and don't worry about the controls. You can use your plastic covers on the "new" wheel. Same with the airbag, it will drop right in. Biggest advise is to rent a steering wheel puller, makes the job super quick. You just torque the wheel nut down to set the wheel in place. Years that you can use are from 1997-2002 Jeep TJ 1997-2001 cherokee I think. Ebay has them for days. Also make sure the pictures are very clear on the top, micro scratches lead to tears later down the road.