2.25:1 SWR on Cobra 19 CB

Jezza

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I just installed a Cobra 19DXIV 40 CB with a 18' coax and a Firestik II 3' antenna. I have a tailight mount bracket and the stud is grounded on the bottom and has no continuity from the antenna to the frame. I am getting 2.25:1 SWR on channels 1 and 40. On channel 20 I am at 1.5:1. What is the general consensus for 2.25:1? Is that an acceptable SWR for a Wrangler. Any suggestions of input on making it better?

1.5:1 on ch 20 is not bad at all. As yours is now, you want the minimum SWR at 20 which is the midpoint of the CB band. To me it's entirely acceptable

Reactions: Jezza
I guess I'm just jealous of all the folks with their 1:1 SWRs. I added a 4 gauge ground strap from the tub behind the Driver's side taillight to the frame. Not sure if it will make a difference or not, but it can't hurt and I had the stuff here. I also had to order a spring kit as the antenna was hitting my garage door and I was afraid it was going to break. That should raise the antenna up a bit more. I guess we'll see.

I guess I'm just jealous of all the folks with their 1:1 SWRs. I added a 4 gauge ground strap from the tub behind the Driver's side taillight to the frame. Not sure if it will make a difference or not, but it can't hurt and I had the stuff here. I also had to order a spring kit as the antenna was hitting my garage door and I was afraid it was going to break. That should raise the antenna up a bit more. I guess we'll see.
You may have already done this, but have you adjusted the antenna length to try and lower the SWR?

You may have already done this, but have you adjusted the antenna length to try and lower the SWR?
I bought a Astatic SWR meter and adjusted the antenna length so channel 1 and 40 were the same. Not sure if that's the right way to do it or not, but I watched a video that showed it being done that way. My ignorance in the radio department is vast.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
I bought a Astatic SWR meter and adjusted the antenna length so channel 1 and 40 were the same. Not sure if that's the right way to do it or not, but I watched a video that showed it being done that way. My ignorance in the radio department is vast.
Forget the SWR at 1 and 40, adjust the SWR for minimum on Ch 20 so it's as low as possible there which is at the mid-point of the band. We tend to use the middle channels far more than those at the extreme ends of the band.

I don't know how tall your antenna is but I avoid antenna springs like the plague. Springs make the antennas harder to tune and they allow the antenna to sway around more on rough trails so they can run into the top/roof. I run a taillight mounted 2' FS-2 Firestik and it works well with no need for a spring to ever remove the antenna to get into the garage.