2 questions

For a manual transmission on a Rubicon with 35" tires, I would go with either 4.88 gears or 5.13.

Personally I would go with 5.13, only because I like my gears a little lower.

Reactions: PriddyBoy and StG58
It’s a 5 speed manual. It’s slowly becoming my daily driver. As it’s getting cooler here in Texas. I have a F250 and a Harley which is what I’m on most of the time, but I’m digging this jeep thing!!! So with that being said I do t want to lose a lot of top end because of Dallas traffic. But it’s also going on the trails I’m not scared of getting dirty, I have a rzr on 32’s with 9” of lift.

Ok so being a new guy please explain the difference in the gears and why. I do most of my own work but there are some things I’ve never touched.

Chris, I had a separate post about vibrations. You recommended me taking and having the tires balanced, well I had them balanced and rotated. It still vibrates. I took video of it, is there a way to share it? Maybe thru pm? If not can I email it or text it to you?

I really appreciate all the input guys y’all are awesome, I’m sure there will be a ton more questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s a 5 speed manual. It’s slowly becoming my daily driver. As it’s getting cooler here in Texas. I have a F250 and a Harley which is what I’m on most of the time, but I’m digging this jeep thing!!! So with that being said I do t want to lose a lot of top end because of Dallas traffic. But it’s also going on the trails I’m not scared of getting dirty, I have a rzr on 32’s with 9” of lift.

Ok so being a new guy please explain the difference in the gears and why. I do most of my own work but there are some things I’ve never touched.

Chris, I had a separate post about vibrations. You recommended me taking and having the tires balanced, well I had them balanced and rotated. It still vibrates. I took video of it, is there a way to share it? Maybe thru pm? If not can I email it or text it to you?

I really appreciate all the input guys y’all are awesome, I’m sure there will be a ton more questions.

Upload it to youtube and paste the link here.

Reactions: PriddyBoy
Hmm...good video, especially the 2nd one with your commentary of what’s going on. I’m thinking someone here will have some good direction.

Reactions: PriddyBoy
A 6" lift and 35's isn't exactly a gas saver. That said, you could definitely use a gear swap. 5.13 would put you at 2700ish at 70 and would be my recommendation.

The video sounds more like driveline vibration. You will need to check angles, u joints, suspension components, etc and see what you find. You need to square that away because it will likely worsen with a gear swap due to increased drive line speeds.

Running 35's with 4.88 gear, getting around 15 mpg and rolling at 70 mph @ 2,700 rpm. I have Rubicon axles under mine but keep the NP231 vs your NV241 transfer case along with keeping my AX15 transmission.

Found the source of the vibrations, I double checked the U-joints and sure enough the front uj on the rear shaft was bad. Thanks guys for all the help.

9e62d21930d3975381875bf961b60786.jpg
f9e7cfb1f0e266fcdffe29f583149ad7.jpg
67c8ce03a390f4ac7c2a178f4ba62f48.jpg

Anyone have experience connecting one of these? I purchased one and thought no big deal.... well I’m lost, please HELP!!!

I have yet to wire one up, but if you have a factory service manual (which has the wiring diagrams), it shouldn't be that hard I would guess.

Just incase you don't have an FSM, you can download them here:
Jeep Wrangler TJ Factory Service Manuals (FSM) & Technical Documentation

You may want to post this in another thread and title it something like, "Dakota Digital Speedo Corrector for Rubicon", or something similar.

Reactions: StG58
I’m getting around 150 miles per tank
With 35s thats about average. Maybe a bit worse than average. Once you go past 33s gearing, rpm start to really kick in. With 33s, 4.10s are a good combo for a TJ which is never on a trailer. But 35s..... there is a lot of tire to turn. And not much left even with 4.88s. Compare 35s to driving a semi. You eat up the horsepower and torque way faster with 35s that 33s.

I have 33’s with a 4.0, manual and 4.56 gearing. In the city I get like 13. Truthfully, it doesn’t improve that much on the highway. Thankfully my commute is short or I would ride my motorcycle more.