2000 Jeep TJ Restoration Project

Forgot the "before" pic!
20180304_131312.jpg

Reactions: Ephry73 and Chris
Wow, great job so far! I applaud you for taking this on. You're giving @Ranger_b0b a run for his money!

Thanks Chris. I can't add much to the forum in the way of proper suspension set-ups or common TJ improvements/repairs but maybe I can help members tackling their own rust issues. These are great vehicles and actually very easy for people to learn bodywork/rust repairs on. I welcome anyone's questions on how to begin, what is needed, etc. I have seen the threads about people accidentally buy a "problem" Jeep and many are salvageable. Maybe I am just too dumb to run away, but I figure if someone else can do something, so can I- maybe not as fast or as good, but I have to at least give it a shot. After seeing what many of you experts do with your builds and mods, fixing some rust pales by comparison! I learn something new from this site every time I log on!!

Reactions: Chris
You're right about the TJ being a relatively easy vehicle to learn on. Being as though the body panels are almost entirely flat, and the fact that it's body on frame, it's probably a lot easier than trying to work on or repair on of those modern vehicles with curves everywhere and so many bells and whistles it would drive you nuts!

Been away from here for quite a while- took a new position at work that required a lot of travel, coupled with a much needed vacation, but I am back!!

Since I was on here last, I finally got everything back together, drove it and then took everything out of the interior to Monsta-line it. Went with the Pyroclastic color, kind of a weird shade of grey. I actually go worried about the color when everything was out, but once we re-assembled it, it really looks great. Since this is ultimately my son's Jeep (my wife isn't convinced that I will actually give him the keys since I drive it so much), I had to relent to painting the roll bar red. To be honest, it doesn't look bad, although I am personally a bit less flashy than a teenage boy.

Just re-painted the doors and replaced the handles (pain in the ass). Couple items left to do besides touching up the paint and clear coating the body.

1- Hate the dropped skid plate. Not sure if I want to drop the money on the SLE. Maybe just a motor mount lift? Need to spend some time on here searching pros and cons
2 - Adjustable front control arms - not enough adjustment to get the caster set, feels like it wanders more than it should
3 - Rebuild the transmission (technically have it rebuilt). Under hard acceleration the torque converter shudders for a second. Not slipping at speed, but it is inevitable. Figure while everything is out, might as well get it completely rebuilt

I am sure there are going to be other items, but that is the short list. Hopefully I can contribute more and travel less!
20180720_164737.jpg

Glad you stuck with it.I finally got my 2000 tj on the road.I was the guy from Ontario Canada that bought mine in dec and spent 3 months under it as you did. I did the frame repairs,all new brakes,mounts,new floor pans,new fenders etc.
I am glad to hear you also have saved one.
Cheers
Bruce

So my latest updates in this on-going saga - replaced the torque converter. Made a How-to. It is a pain to do, but not impossible for the home mechanic. I replaced the seals while it was all apart and I adjusted the transmission bands. It still shudders slightly when it shifts from 1st to 2nd so I now suspect the tranny will need a rebuild at some point. Since it isn't a daily driver, I will just run it until it is done.

Next on the agenda is to put adjustable front control arms on so I can regain some caster and replace the rear sway bar bushings. With all of the work I have done on this and having it recently inspected, I was shocked to find they were so bad. I don't mean a little bad, I mean 3/16" play. How the garage missed this, I have no idea. I am a hack, but I sort of trust professionals to catch these things. So, just when I thought I was nearing the end of my list of fixes, a new one pops up- at least it is cheap and simple to do (famous last words).

I noticed you mention you had a shudder?

Added adjustable rear control arms to set pinion angle correctly - fixed shudder

My 2002 TJ has a shudder at 2000 rpms when the engine is on load. Do yo think this will fix my shudder?