2000 TJ front axle nut removal problem

Jerry thank you for taking the time to write, you are clearly well respected on here so I appreciate it. The issue I am having is the 3 bolts the hold the knuckle are completely stripped. Another project for another day.

When I go to jack up the front to get the driver side tire back on the hub assembly is not perpendicular when I raise it high enough to put the wheel back on. I am jacking it up from the front diff, because if I use the axel shaft on the passengers side there is no coils or shocks to stop if from continuing to go up. Thus on the passenger side is being lifted.

I can jack it up enough from the pumpkin to get my drivers side wheel back on, BUT, the camber is off. Is this safe to lower this way? What are my options? Thank you.
Not to be a downer, but doesn't the unit bearing have to come out to ( The 3 stripped bolts ) to get access to the U-joint?

None of this will affect the camber or caster.
Maybe camber is the wrong word. But the hub is at an angle when I begin to lift the axel up high enough to put the tire back on.
I have removed the sway bar, sway bar disconnects, the shock, coil and brakes from the passenger side. When I go to jack up the front end to put the drivers side tire on the hub begins to angle.

The issue I am having is the 3 bolts the hold the knuckle are completely stripped. Another project for another day.
If you plan to get to that U joint you're talking about, it's a project for today. Taking the 36mm nut off only separates the shaft from the unit bearing. You still have to remove the unit bearing to pull the shaft. Your unit bearing is attached to the knuckle.

If you plan to get to that U joint you're talking about, it's a project for today. Taking the 36mm nut off only separates the shaft from the unit bearing. You still have to remove the unit bearing to pull the shaft. Your unit bearing is attached to the knuckle.

Ill be watching this ASAP, thank you for posting it and helping out! Much appreciated

And understand, that unless you have a locker, putting one wheel on the ground won't solve your problem. The easiest method (aside from an impact) is to have somebody step on the brakes while you loosen the nut. Be sure to do both sides before removing the brakes. With where you are with it right now you can put a large screwdriver or small crowbar between your u joint and that will keep it from spinning while you loosen the nut.

Reactions: AaronPaul
Maybe camber is the wrong word. But the hub is at an angle when I begin to lift the axel up high enough to put the tire back on.
I have removed the sway bar, sway bar disconnects, the shock, coil and brakes from the passenger side. When I go to jack up the front end to put the drivers side tire on the hub begins to angle.
Perfectly normal and not an issue.

Reactions: AaronPaul
And understand, that unless you have a locker, putting one wheel on the ground won't solve your problem. The easiest method (aside from an impact) is to have somebody step on the brakes while you loosen the nut. Be sure to do both sides before removing the brakes. With where you are with it right now you can put a large screwdriver or small crowbar between your u joint and that will keep it from spinning while you loosen the nut.
I do not have a locker no. I will try the crow bar method. I think that will be much easier than putting the brakes back on.

Use lots of PB Blaster!
PB Blaster is among the last of any produce claiming to be a penetrant I'd ever use. Maybe that's why you said "Use lots of PB Blaster". :ROFLMAO:

It never does well in any tests of penetrants I have read. Liquid Wrench has been around "forever" yet it still scores at the top of commercially available penetrants. The only better penetrant in such tests is a 50-50 mix of Acetone and ATF but it won't stay in suspension so it needs to be shook or stirred up constantly while being used.

Reactions: Blondie70
I have had a lot of success using PB Blaster. I have used it restoring a Grand Wagoneer, three XJ's, and the TJ I am bringing back to life. Maybe the problems I have run into are not relevant to the tests conducted by "experts". I do apologize if I mislead anyone.

Jerry...........must that mixture of acetone and atf be put into a metal container? Will acetone eat plastic ??? Thanks