2001 4.0 crank, no start, and no gauge life

D M

CEL free! (again)
Supporting Member
So I found out I have a parasitic drain the hard way, I come home and go to start the jeep after about 5 days and its completely dead. No lights no nothing. I end up pushing it out of the garage and having a neighbor help me jump it, now the fuel pump is somehow dead?

I checked all the connections, they seem intact, no fuses are blown, no fuel comes out at the fuel rail. Ive had a full tank and she just sat in the garage, now it doesnt read any fuel and I dont hear the pump prime. What could have happened?

So I found out I have a parasitic drain the hard way, I come home and go to start the jeep after about 5 days and its completely dead. No lights no nothing. I end up pushing it out of the garage and having a neighbor help me jump it, now the fuel pump is somehow dead?

I checked all the connections, they seem intact, no fuses are blown, no fuel comes out at the fuel rail. Ive had a full tank and she just sat in the garage, now it doesnt read any fuel and I dont hear the pump prime. What could have happened?
Can you clarify a little, I get the battery died and you had to jump it. What's leading you to the fuel pump being dead? Assuming there's not enough power (such as in a post jump scenario), the fuel pump can't do its job - so I'd expect this to be a battery issue still just due to unavailable current.

Can you clarify a little, I get the battery died and you had to jump it. What's leading you to the fuel pump being dead? Assuming there's not enough power (such as in a post jump scenario), the fuel pump can't do its job - so I'd expect this to be a battery issue still just due to unavailable current.
Im only guessing its dead because I turn the key and dont hear it prime. I jumped it for about 15 minutes to try and run it, then checked the fuel rail and nothing came out. When I turn the key nothing happens to the fuel indicator(even though its full). I just found out my battery is over its age date too so that could be why it died. I think you may be right on it just simply not having enough power to turn on still.

Reactions: rasband
Im only guessing its dead because I turn the key and dont hear it prime. I jumped it for about 15 minutes to try and run it, then checked the fuel rail and nothing came out. When I turn the key nothing happens to the fuel indicator(even though its full). I just found out my battery is over its age date too so that could be why it died. I think you may be right on it just simply not having enough power to turn on still.
Yeah, I think it's likely to just be your battery.

Reactions: D M
Ill check again in the morning, my Dad is gonna bring his testing kit etc tomorrow. Hope its as simple as that🤞
If you haven’t done so, definitely check for corrosion around your battery terminals as well. I had to “fix” my friend’s non-starting Jeep once by cleaning those terminals (she was then able to drive away).

You will want to test for parasitic drain before you claim you have one.

It’s also possible that your alternator isn’t working correctly, you have a bad cell in your battery, your connectors are not tight enough, terminals are corroded, or your charging wires are corroded or broken.

I’m sure you will figure it out. Best of luck!

You will want to test for parasitic drain before you claim you have one.

It’s also possible that your alternator isn’t working correctly, you have a bad cell in your battery, your connectors are not tight enough, terminals are corroded, or your charging wires are corroded or broken.

I’m sure you will figure it out. Best of luck!
Ended up calling AAA, battery was charged to 12v, his computer said i have a charging issue, so my alternator is probably bad. Still weird though how its not reading fuel, I dont hear the pump prime when turning the key, and very little comes out at the check on the rail.

This is getting weird, fuel is starting to come back into the fuel rail, but my pump wont sound or read. We sprayed starting fluid and she still wont start. If i turn the key 3 times and try to get it throw a code it will not do anything. Wont say "done" or anything like that. I have a code reader, but it wont connect to my PCM

Reactions: Wranglerfix
Check all the fuses and relays for the PCM. It's not getting pwr or it's fried.

Also check all the battery cables and grounds.

Do you remember the decimal places it was reading to? Anything <12.7 is less than 100% and rapidly drops off under 12.1.

If it sat in a lower state for too long they won't come back to life.
I think it was 12.4 to be exact. That is a good point, still weird how starting fluid wont get it to go
Check all the fuses and relays for the PCM. It's not getting pwr or it's fried.

Also check all the battery cables and grounds.
battery cables and grounds are good, fuses are good too, only relay I dont know how to check is the fuel pressure relay. Hoping its not fried

you can swap it with any relay that is identical. Horn should be the same, IIRC.
Just tried, all of the relays still work, any way to test if the PCM is bad? Ive got a gut feeling its bad

After reading some other threads its possible my crankshaft/camshaft position sensor is bad, anyone know how to test them?

This is getting weird, fuel is starting to come back into the fuel rail, but my pump wont sound or read. We sprayed starting fluid and she still wont start. If i turn the key 3 times and try to get it throw a code it will not do anything. Wont say "done" or anything like that. I have a code reader, but it wont connect to my PCM
Im confused, if the pump isn’t waking up, how are you getting fuel at the rail?

Will your reader power up but not communicate? Or not even power up? Lots of symptoms here, let’s work them one by one.

Also just to be certain, you checked all the fuses in the glovebox too, right?

Im confused, if the pump isn’t waking up, how are you getting fuel at the rail?

Will your reader power up but not communicate? Or not even power up? Lots of symptoms here, let’s work them one by one.

Also just to be certain, you checked all the fuses in the glovebox too, right?
Checked all fuses, all relays work.

Not sure how im getting fuel but I do not hear any noise from the pump, and it doesnt read any fuel level even though I have a full tank. Starting fluid wouldnt help either.

Power reader turns on and works on other cars, but cannot communicate to the pcm. Im gonna test the CMS and CPS later. All my gauges are dead and wont throw codes.

No obdii comm, no fuel gauge = it’s not talking to the computer. BSK on YouTube has a preliminary PCM voltage/ground test. I would start there.

I ended up having a bunch of shorted wires & smoke release, but it could be a lot of things.