2001 Steering Column Bushing?

LHC30

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Ok, just picked up an 01 4.0l sport. The steering is a little loose and I have checked all the front joints (including r&r the ball joints etc) and checked the steering column from gearbox to column. The intermediate bearing and Ujoints seem OK, but where the upper joint meets the lower column has enough play that i believe that is my problem.

Now, the bolt on the joint is tight but either the joint or the lower bushing/bearing on the column itself is shot. Before I get taking the steering column out of the dash, are there any wise words? I can't seem to find a diagram or parts descriptions which makes me think its not serviceable.

Thanks.

Hey Ted, nice pickup! Got a pic? Still have the JKU too? I just picked up mostly stock 04 TJ for DD use.

Of course, I'm no help to this issue, but I'll bump your thread.

Hi, still have the JK for rock crawling. Got the TJ to pull behind the MH when we aren’t on a run, it’s almost half the weight. Lol

and LongJP, I haven’t crawled under to get a pic but held the joint on a dry test of the system. The bolt is tight so it’s either the joint or shaft bushing. Will try to get a remote pic tomorrow

Reactions: suicideking
Taking JP’s advice re pics, I took a few videos of the connection. It looks like the joint connector to the steering column shaft is loose but the bolt is tight. Maybe to prior owner didn’t get it on all the way? When I get time I’ll pull the shaft and figure it out.