2001 TJ Needs New Frame

2001TJtrouble

Purchased a 2001 4.0L 6-cylinder TJ a few months ago. Only had 140,000 and the body looked good. The frame looked good to but as it was getting lifted at a shop for a new clutch to be installed, the mechanic said the frame cracked and has a ton of rust underneath there. I live in North East Indiana. Does anyone have any recommendations for fabricators to mod a 2003 frame? Are there drawings showing the specs of an 01 frame?
From your experience, do you think its worth swapping the frame or will I find a bunch more that needs to be replaced once its all apart? Thanks

I would do an in depth look over for any other cancer you may have in the Jeep first. A borescope can be had for little money nowadays on Amazon that bluetooths to your phone. Get inside all the torque boxes, above and behind the gas tank, in the bottom of the B pillar, etc before throwing good money after bad. What did the mechanic think of the rest of the Jeep? Get a few of your more OCD type of friends to look it over too. After all that then you can make a better decision on the best path for you to take.

I did a frame swap a few years back. They are never financially smart unless you plan to do all the work yourself (and even then, its close). Once you get it apart, there will be many things you will want to replace. If you have other rust on the body, add that to the list as well.

I guess it depends on a few factors:

1. The overall condition of the rest of the Jeep (does it run/drive well, is the body okay?)

2. How bad is the rust, and is it repairable/isolated to a small area, or does the frame need entire replacement?

3. If the whole frame is replaced, do you have the ability to DIY, or would you trust/pay a shop to do it?

87A64756-00BF-423E-B016-C33898AA3E36.png1D5C5008-6A0C-4731-A0C0-B2AFA2B0D4BE.png1CEF3472-D840-4FFE-968D-6177EDF5D3E6.png

Does anyone have any recommendations for fabricators to mod a 2003 frame? Are there drawings showing the specs of an 01 frame?
From your experience, do you think its worth swapping the frame or will I find a bunch more that needs to be replaced once its all apart? Thanks

No need to mod any frame. If you swap the frame, there are a few small changes between your frame and an '03 frame: steering box is different; transmission skid plate is different. You can use the skid plate from an '03 frame and you may need to change the mounting block on the transmission from an '01 to an '03. If you don't want to use the '03 steering box, you will need to mod that frame to accept the original Saginaw steering box. If your frame was that badly rusted, most likely the body tub is rusted as well where the frame mounts to the body, usually under each door and these will need to be cut out and new mounts welded in. Also, your hard brake lines are probably mostly rust and you will end up replacing them, as well as some parts of the fuel lines. Your parking brake lines will likely need to be replaced as well. Likely you will need all new control arm mounting bolts. Also a good time to check the fuel tank skid plate-it's likely a rusted mess and in need of replacement; and this is a great time to change the shocks.

Additionally, you will need a way to lift the body and driveline off the frame, plus you will need some decent tools and space to work.