2004 Steering Gear Box Recommendations?

mikespine

Looking for any updated recommendations for 2004 Jeep Wrangler X steering gear box recommendations. I don't believe I can do the Durango change out on a 2004. Suggestions appreciated. Happy Thanksgiving :)

PSC makes a quality box.

What issues are you having?

@toximus The steering is sloppy, a lot of play and a little scary on the highway (I wouldn't want my wife to drive it), I'm not comfortable either. In the last month I have converted all of the steering linkage from TJ to ZJ-tie rods, ball joints ect . Put on Zone 3 inch lift with 33 inch tires and aligned. I have screwed the hex bolt flush to the nut on the gear box-no change noted. I ran the model number on the gear box-it happens to be a Cardone.

The PSC one must be good for $900, but it's probably out of my wheel-house. I'm always up for suggestions. Thank you.

Last edited:
@toximus The steering is sloppy, a lot of play and a little scary on the highway (I wouldn't want my wife to drive it), I'm not comfortable either. In the last month I have converted all of the steering linkage from TJ to ZJ-tie rods, ball joints ect . Put on Zone 3 inch lift with 33 inch tires and aligned. I have screwed the hex bolt flush to the nut on the gear box-no change noted. I ran the model number on the gear box-it happens to be a Cardone.

The PSC one must be good for $900, but it's probably out of my wheel-house. I'm always up for suggestions. Thank you.

Have you tried doing a dry steering test?

Have you tried doing a dry steering test?

@toximus Yup, dry testing has been done by me, a friend and looked at by a local body shop guy and assume the the 4x4 shop that put on the 3 inch Zone lift, new wheels/tires with alignment would have noticed something. The dry test has always looked tight prior to the new conversion steering linkage TJ to ZJ, but the steering wheel has always been sloppy. I have adjusted the steering box until the hex bolt is flush to the nut, but no change in tightness of the steering wheel.

**The sloppy steering has always existed before and after all the changes.

Last edited:

I have a 06 TJ with a stock box and I realized in order to tighten up my steering box I had to BACK OFF on the screw, not screw it in further which made it worse.

Reactions: mikespine
I have a 06 TJ with a stock box and I realized in order to tighten up my steering box I had to BACK OFF on the screw, not screw it in further which made it worse.

You are not kidding....I watched some you tube videos and they all say to screw it in....I did that and had about 10" of play. The Mercedes gear box on my 2005 HAS TO BE SCREWED OUT to be tightened up.....what a pain!! I need a new box as well......

@Erik V : thanks for the idea. So I backed it out all the way until it stopped. No change for better or for worse. My guess is that the box is no good since I backed the bolt out about a 1/4 inch until it stopped, about a 1/4 inch of threads exposed. So I ordered from RockAuto: Lares #1356: $238, Core $295, 5% discount, Tax/Shipping: Total $550. About $255 after core return. After I install it, I'll give an update. I'm still open for recommendations and input.

Last edited:
Reactions: derekmac and Erik V
You are not kidding....I watched some you tube videos and they all say to screw it in....I did that and had about 10" of play. The Mercedes gear box on my 2005 HAS TO BE SCREWED OUT to be tightened up.....what a pain!! I need a new box as well......

Yea it was a pain, I found out by mistake, lol

Large tires and rock crawling are hard on the stock box. If you do extreme stuff it’s not going to last and PSC may be your best option. if you don’t Check out Redhead Steering gears web site. Then call them. They rebuilt mine about 3 yrs ago. If you’re not the hard core crawler on big tires they are a good option IMHO.

Large tires and rock crawling are hard on the stock box. If you do extreme stuff it’s not going to last and PSC may be your best option. if you don’t Check out Redhead Steering gears web site. Then call them. They rebuilt mine about 3 yrs ago. If you’re not the hard core crawler on big tires they are a good option IMHO.

I'm a puddle jumper and maybe some beach sand. No rock crawling. Thank you for your input.

I went to their site and Jeep is not listed. I emailed them. If the box the OP purchased is junk, I will call them. Standing by for feedback!!

Any updates??

Installed LARES 1356 Remanufactured gear box from RockAuto. Took me and a buddy a little of 2 hours. Used propane torch, hammer and a pitman arm puller to pull off pitman arm. Be patient: heat, hammer and tighten pitman arm puller little by little being cautious not to snap puller.

Another challenge was sliding gear box shaft from the steering column coupler. We used a chisel/screw driver to open up the coupler. It didn't separate easily but was able to pry it off and separate steering column coupler from gear box shaft little by little... a lot of prying and reassessing and prying.

I changed out the the gear box mounting bolts: grade 8, 7/16-14 course thread, 3 bolts x 5 inches long with washers. Bought them at Ace Hardware. (I think I used a 5/8 socket on bolt head.)

My gear box did not come with new o-rings for the low and high pressure lines. I just used the old ones but it is suggested to use new ones.

The steering is now more responsive and returns to zero when turning. I would prefer it a little "tighter" but I'm inclined to leave it since the directions say it is set to manufactures spec. It's not a car and it's not a new vehicle. Its a 2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ. Overall, I'm pleased. Best of Luck.

Next: possibly this week I will take the sway bar to a Truck/Spring shop to try and widen (cold bend) the sway bar a little to get the sway bar link bolts off my frame rails because my frame is bent.

Last edited: