2004 Steering Gear Box Recommendations?

I watch these threads ..I hate a bad driving Jeep with a passion. . It kills the buzz fast . And I've had some .

And I've had some that drove great.

I'm posting this to be supportive, not to brag : a Jeep , even lifted , can drive fantastic.

My 2003 is smooth as glass , talking 65 mph on the interstate with 2 fingers , running 33's on beadlock rims .

The Jeep is essentially all stock steering and it has an adjustable track bar front and rear .

Don't rule out control arm bushings ..they can make the entire vehicle feel way off .

Mine was horrible when I got it , had shot skyjacker stuff under it ...it was dangerous above 45, vague , fish tailed , rear steer , wandered , you name it.

It was primarily the control arms that changed it , I didn't replace a single steering component except the stabilizer. It literally went from the worst Jeep I'd had since a 74 CJ-5 to the best .

I realize once a gearbox is shot , it's shot . Just remember there are multiple contact points that affect a Jeeps handling ...it is seldom just one thing .

Hub bearings are also known to make a jeep wander when worn.

The short wheelbase of a Jeep doesn't make it doomed to bad handling , just more sensitive to worn or misaligned components.

Don't give up til you are happy (or out of money ).

Reactions: mikespine
I got about 6” of free movement in my box.. it sucks and your absolutely right it kills the whole vibe. I need a new box or rebuilt? What is everyone’s favorites? I frickin hate rock auto but they are super cheap, I just emailed a mainland company about it (located in Hawaii).

I got about 6” of free movement in my box.. it sucks and your absolutely right it kills the whole vibe. I need a new box or rebuilt? What is everyone’s favorites? I frickin hate rock auto but they are super cheap, I just emailed a mainland company about it (located in Hawaii).

PSC is your best bet for a new box. I only got about 2 years out of a redhead reman on 35s.

Reactions: Steel City 06
PSC is your best bet for a new box. I only got about 2 years out of a redhead reman on 35s.
I just can’t spend almost 1k on a power steering box.. that price is ludacris with such intermittent reviews they have. I think I’m going to go with Detroit Axle for 400, lifetime warranty.

Reactions: mikespine
I just can’t spend almost 1k on a power steering box.. that price is ludacris with such intermittent reviews they have. I think I’m going to go with Detroit Axle for 400, lifetime warranty.
Where are the intermittent reviews at and for what reasons?

Where are the intermittent reviews at and for what reasons?
I forget what website, might have been summit but people had a lot of premature failures with PSC. I just ordered a stock box from Detroit Axle, life time warranty for about $430 with military discount including shipping both ways. Not a bad price for a lifetime warranty IMO. The other company I contacted wanted almost 200 for shipping, Detroit axle was 35 each way.

Reactions: Chris
I forget what website, might have been summit but people had a lot of premature failures with PSC. I just ordered a stock box from Detroit Axle, life time warranty for about $430 with military discount including shipping both ways. Not a bad price for a lifetime warranty IMO. The other company I contacted wanted almost 200 for shipping, Detroit axle was 35 each way.

That seems like a really good price for a factory box.

Installed LARES 1356 Remanufactured gear box from RockAuto. Took me and a buddy a little of 2 hours. Used propane torch, hammer and a pitman arm puller to pull off pitman arm. Be patient: heat, hammer and tighten pitman arm puller little by little being cautious not to snap puller.

Another challenge was sliding gear box shaft from the steering column coupler. We used a chisel/screw driver to open up the coupler. It didn't separate easily but was able to pry it off and separate steering column coupler from gear box shaft little by little... a lot of prying and reassessing and prying.

I changed out the the gear box mounting bolts: grade 8, 7/16-14 course thread, 3 bolts x 5 inches long with washers. Bought them at Ace Hardware. (I think I used a 5/8 socket on bolt head.)

My gear box did not come with new o-rings for the low and high pressure lines. I just used the old ones but it is suggested to use new ones.

The steering is now more responsive and returns to zero when turning. I would prefer it a little "tighter" but I'm inclined to leave it since the directions say it is set to manufactures spec. It's not a car and it's not a new vehicle. Its a 2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ. Overall, I'm pleased. Best of Luck.

Next: possibly this week I will take the sway bar to a Truck/Spring shop to try and widen (cold bend) the sway bar a little to get the sway bar link bolts off my frame rails because my frame is bent.
I realize this is a very very old post — any update on how this Lares 1356 unit performed?