Battery recommendations

Depends on your planned use. Do you have a winch or any heave current devices? Just a daily driver. What are your plans?

Reactions: SSTJ
Hi, I have recently bought a Jeep Wrangler T.J 2004 and the battery needs replacing. Any recommendations for good battery please.

Welcome to the forum. This topic comes up every now and then, so you’ll find a lot of information in some existing threads. I’ll paste an example below.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/battery-recommendations-for-tj.11885/page-2

If you want to look for others, you’ll have better luck using the Google search feature than the standard search feature.

And if you can share more about your intended use or needs, that’ll improve the recommendations you get here.

Old guy here, on and off, but seeing they are initiating you because of your question. What Wrangler, we seem to have different opinions of which "Wrangler" version we are familiar with and what we want to know. Not a question of gearing or lift or what soft top experiences, but almost a common question of what softdrink should I drink while driving, but have gotten heckled a little in the background.

My opinion, Jeeps are just like any other vehicles, we want them to start under any conditions and run forever. Yep, Iffen you are also going to do additional things, expecting to roll over or need higher amperage longivity ratings to run a winch longer, sit on the beach and run you Kicker all day for example, opinions might be different. Auto batteries are still auto batteries for most of us. My DD 98 TJ has a WM highest amperage that will fit the box lead acid for example, (almost the same as my Suburban) and it still starts after I run a ham radio for hours at a time talking around the world and it still starts. Soon I think Li batteries will be ready for the auto market, but they are not here yet. But I do have one in my riding mower ready for spring and one in my waverunner which normally led acids have a 90 day warranty but I got a 5 yr warranty on the Li's I am giving a try for only half the price more. See what happens over the next summer.

In the past I have had very good experience with the Optima batteries, currently own two that are over 10 years old and doing well, but have seen many reviews that since they move their manufacturing to MX, their quality and longevity has diminished. I have one application with a 360 Lycoming engine that a sloshing lead acid battery will not work well at all, so have to see how that goes also when I need to replace it.

So bottom line, Every day driver, jumping a curb, really don't matter. Sloshing around a lot or rolling over upside down for a little while, consider a glass mat. Like others have stated, whatcha have and what are you planning to do with it?