Battery recommendations for TJ?

You know anything about the X2 Power batteries?
A few of us run X2 Power batteries and have no complaints, though mine is somewhat new. I think @tworley has had his a bit longer than me. Last I looked Odyssey and Northstar (and X2) are owned by the same company and make the batteries in the same plant out of Missouri.

Reactions: AZSobo
I've had my X2 for 2 years i think. It's been fine so far with a winch hooked it and powering a smaller fuse block. My main reason for buying was the reserve capacity and CCA

Reactions: rasband
I've had my X2 for 2 years i think. It's been fine so far with a winch hooked it and powering a smaller fuse block. My main reason for buying was the reserve capacity and CCA
Just bought the x2,battery plus,5year warranty it says north star on it.same case as odyssey.

8B85D462-AB5D-4341-9842-2A786A21A004.png

Find one you can with minimum required cranking amps. Higher amps = thinner plates = less life.

Me preaching x1,000 - OEMs put certain parts on vehicles for very specific reasons and then the enthusiast communities want to go "upgrade" everything and screw it all up while thinking the original parts were there because the OEM was being cheap.

Me preaching x1,000 - OEMs put certain parts on vehicles for very specific reasons and then the enthusiast communities want to go "upgrade" everything and screw it all up while thinking the original parts were there because the OEM was being cheap.
The very specific reason is overall price point. The OEM does not choose parts based on a principle of "this is the best part for the purpose".

Yeah it’s strange a lot if reviews recently stating it’s dead on arrival or won’ take a charge . It seems the older reviews around 2015-16 are positive and recent years they are all 1 star which makes me think they are selling fakes or the manufacturer like optima is declining

I picked up an X2 Power earlier, called and they told me they had a group 34, ordered online for 10% off and picked up in store, but when I got there they only had a 34/78 - mostly same specs except top and side terminals.

When I got it home I see on the top is says 'Sealed Non-Spillable 12V Lead Acid Battery' 'Dual Purpose/Deep Cycle'
I've never ran across any info calling an AGM 'Sealed Lead Acid' but after some google foo found that apparently it's just another name for AGM.

When I looked this battery up on their website it says 'Type Secondary' at the top of the description, it doesn't say that on the group 34 battery page. I guess that 'Secondary' is the same Deep Cycle but by their description isn't and AGM pretty much the same as deep cycle?

I didn't put it in yet, when I got home my wife was sick so plans changed. With these differing descriptions it's got me second guessing and wondering if I should see if they can get the 34 and exchange it....

I picked up an X2 Power earlier, called and they told me they had a group 34, ordered online for 10% off and picked up in store, but when I got there they only had a 34/78 - mostly same specs except top and side terminals.

When I got it home I see on the top is says 'Sealed Non-Spillable 12V Lead Acid Battery' 'Dual Purpose/Deep Cycle'
I've never ran across any info calling an AGM 'Sealed Lead Acid' but after some google foo found that apparently it's just another name for AGM.

When I looked this battery up on their website it says 'Type Secondary' at the top of the description, it doesn't say that on the group 34 battery page. I guess that 'Secondary' is the same Deep Cycle but by their description isn't and AGM pretty much the same as deep cycle?

I didn't put it in yet, when I got home my wife was sick so plans changed. With these differing descriptions it's got me second guessing and wondering if I should see if they can get the 34 and exchange it....
Having both top and side posts are nice if you have additional battery connections such as a winch or other high amp connections.

Reactions: AZSobo and rasband
I was doing some "research" and found this piece of "information" that has changed my mind on my next battery:

Optima!

optimaFTMW.jpg

:ROFLMAO:

AGM is a technology. Deep cycle is a use-type. Your battery is a dual-purpose (starting and deep cycle) AGM battery.
With these differing descriptions it's got me second guessing and wondering if I should see if they can get the 34 and exchange it....
You are good.
From BatteriesPlus:
SLI34-78AGMDP
Lead Acid Type: Deep Cycle, Dual Purpose (Starting/Cycling), Starting
Cold Cranking Amps: 880

Last edited:
I was doing some "research" and found this piece of "information" that has changed my mind on my next battery:

Optima!

View attachment 304577

:ROFLMAO:

AGM is a technology. Deep cycle is a use-type. Your battery is a dual-purpose (starting and deep cycle) AGM battery.

You are good.
From BatteriesPlus:
SLI34-78AGMDP
Lead Acid Type: Deep Cycle, Dual Purpose (Starting/Cycling), Starting
Cold Cranking Amps: 880
SLI34-78AGMDP - That is the battery!

Reactions: L J
I went with a more local battery that my mechanic recommended. He owns a very large shop and I have known him since we were around 10 years old and we are now in our mid 50's. We are brothers from a different mother, so very close. He also works on a lot of TJ's, CJ's and the like, not to mention is a mechanic for a car that runs over 250mph in the 1/4 mile. Yes, 250+ isn't a misprint. He recommended American made Deka (made in my state PA), so I just installed one. Here are the specs and price.

Price $130
CCA 850
Res 115

He stated this made in US battery has been very good for over 5 years so far. He used to use Interstate, but he dropped them due to lack of quality. This was hard due to there is a wholesale Interstate place less than 1/2 mile from his shop, but man is he pissed at that company as he installed them not knowing their changes at the time. He won't return to them.

I will chime back in a few years as my TJ is low miles and possibly the greatest TJ out there. :). It is pretty sweet.

Last time I chimed back in on a long term test was the knockoff Trucklites that I bought and they are still going strong! Just remember to make sure they aren't pointed too high for safety.

http://www.dekabatteries.com/assets/base/0259.pdf
734MF_Deka-East-Penn.Electrical.Batteries.1.jpeg

Last edited:
I went with a more local battery that my mechanic recommended. He owns a very large shop and I have known him since we were around 10 years old and we are now in our mid 50's. We are brothers from a different mother, so very close. He also works on a lot of TJ's, CJ's and the like, not to mention is a mechanic for a car that runs over 250mph in the 1/4 mile. Yes, 250+ isn't a misprint. He recommended American made Deka (made in my state PA), so I just installed one. Here are the specs and price.

Price $130
CCA 850
Res 115

He stated this made in US battery has been very good for over 5 years so far. He used to use Interstate, but he dropped them due to lack of quality. This was hard due to there is a wholesale Interstate place less than 1/2 mile from his shop, but man is he pissed at that company as he installed them not knowing their changes at the time. He won't return to them.

I will chime back in a few years as my TJ is low miles and possibly the greatest TJ out there. :). It is pretty sweet.

Last time I chimed back in on a long term test was the knockoff Trucklites that I bought and they are still going strong! Just remember to make sure they aren't pointed too high for safety.

http://www.dekabatteries.com/assets/base/0259.pdf
View attachment 309740
I assume for that price you didn't get the AGM? (no judgement on that, honestly just curious because that would be a heck of a deal)