2005 4.0L: Codes P0016, P0171 and P0174

fourmustangs

TJ Enthusiast
just picked up a 2005
needs a crank sensor and some O2 sensors.
I found the thread for O2 to get but is there a specific crank sensor best to buy?

the jeep also has the start of wobble around 50mph.

and need a soft top.

4.0L Auto
18033428_1225349934229794_8210529338545897717_n.jpg

Buy an OE crank sensor. In fact, anytime you need to buy a sensor make sure you get an OE sensor. A lot of the reviews I've seen throughout the years say that a napa or Bosch or autozone sensor will work for awhile but the longevity just isn't there. One of the best lessons I've learned from some of the most experienced jeepers here.

Last edited:
Reactions: StG58
For the top, @Chris wrote a summary guide in the FAQ section. My advice is to use a Best Top. They were the original manufacturer of your top. Since you have a 2005, your original color is black diamond.

For the top, @Chris wrote a summary guide in the FAQ section. My advice is to use a Best Top. They were the original manufacturer of your top. Since you have a 2005, your original color is black diamond.

Here you go:
What is the best replacement soft top for my Jeep Wrangler TJ?

I second a Bestop. They are the best soft tops you can get, period. Costly, but you get what you pay for!

Also, you definitely want to use an OE crank sensor as well. Those things are finicky like the O2 sensors as well.

Thanks will do more research on best top and see which one to go with..

As far as crank sensor, I might just buy one to put on...but alot of reading last night talks about cam gear wear for code 0016

If you bought an OPDA, be sure not to use the replacement crank sensor that comes with it. It's pretty well known that the aftermarket OPDAs CPS sensor gives lots of errors on our TJs. The thing that people always do (worked for me as well) is to use the stock Mopar CPS sensor that came off your old OPDA and swap it onto the new OPDA.