2005 Rubicon; A Rubi Brother

Ok so all I can say is WOW. The PITA process that is adding and adjusting adjustable components while rolling out and under your Jeep was all worth it after getting these shocks on.

The ride firmed up so much but it is also so smooth and balanced. It stabilized things enough that the seat even feels like it has more bolster and support to it. I don’t know how to explain it, but absolute night and day difference.

So worth the process I endured to get here.

That is great to hear. Doing all that work and being able to finally feel that it was worth it must be nice.

Not much has been going on. Went on a fun wheeling trip with the crew and got some great shots. Beat the hell out of my steering and underside so it’s probably time to start working on the under armor soon. I definitely pushed the limits and then some, but it was a blast.
EE183621-93D7-4B8D-ACFC-6EBDD759DBEF.jpeg

34CB2E7A-2983-413A-806E-022083756996.jpeg

5B87E528-D95A-470E-95C6-B817630F7CEE.jpeg

C8D1A07C-36F7-43FF-9FD0-2F8D0E2B7461.jpeg

A77A6193-7A6A-4D56-B36F-EACE1E72630B.jpeg

With that said, I ended up acquiring some new steering. Whilst browsing teh interwebz I found a near-mint Currie steering setup for $350. That’ll be a fun addition!
E828194C-A740-4050-8024-1802F2431667.jpeg

Not much has been going on. Went on a fun wheeling trip with the crew and got some great shots. Beat the hell out of my steering and underside so it’s probably time to start working on the under armor soon. I definitely pushed the limits and then some, but it was a blast.
View attachment 407869

View attachment 407864

View attachment 407865

View attachment 407866

View attachment 407868

With that said, I ended up acquiring some new steering. Whilst browsing teh interwebz I found a near-mint Currie steering setup for $350. That’ll be a fun addition!
View attachment 407872

Consider a BMB tie rod ..

https://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/4340-TIE-ROD-HEAT-TREATED-4340-TIE-ROD-HDTRC.htm

Reactions: RINC
So now, the transmission swap saga comes to a close as my swap is 100%, and I mean 100%, done. Wiring and mechanical; it is finished.
View attachment 316556

Interesting milestone I forgot to note. I finished my auto swap a year ago and man its been so much more enjoyable to drive! I've learned the 42RLEs characteristics well enough that I don't need the OD off anymore. It takes some getting used to but I've figured out how to manipulate the pedal enough to keep the RPMs where I want them around town. Off-road, it's made all the difference. I would love to brag about it, but when friends get in no one says "aren't jeeps supposed to be manuals?" allowing me to yell "ACHUALYYYY" So y'all will have to dote on me instead.

I wish I had more exciting things to report, but I don't. I'm still not making much headway on the tuck. I estimate to do this right would probably cost me around $1500 and as much as it pains me I can't prioritize that kind of money to leisure right now. But we'll see, I might be able to at least ditch the stock skid and get the UCF skid on here with some spacers.

In other news, the hard top came off and the soft top is back on because the weather has been absolutely perfect here. So having a convertible has been a nice change of pace after all the rain and snow we had this winter.
IMG_7733.jpg

Last edited:
Sup y'all? Made a casual purchase today from UCF noting their (what I assume is) 15% off Memorial Day sale. I bought an aluminum engine skid as well as the LoPro mount to mate up with my ultra high clearance skid! @AndyG kind of convinced me to give the LoPro a shot despite the negativity surrounding it, many vibration issues. He has a thread where he highlighted some metal-on-metal interference points and has it working smooth as could be now. Maybe @AndyG would like to update the class?

I've been running numbers and timelines through my head and I think I'm at the point where I can start tightening up the build. I think I'm also going to lift the rear another inch so I have 3" springs F+R. This way I can dial in all of the CAs and angles, get new driveshafts, so that by the time the 32s either A). Bite the dust or B). Limit me too much, I can throw the 33s on, set my bumps, and roll.

Sup y'all? Made a casual purchase today from UCF noting their (what I assume is) 15% off Memorial Day sale. I bought an aluminum engine skid as well as the LoPro mount to mate up with my ultra high clearance skid! @AndyG kind of convinced me to give the LoPro a shot despite the negativity surrounding it, many vibration issues. He has a thread where he highlighted some metal-on-metal interference points and has it working smooth as could be now. Maybe @AndyG would like to update the class?

I've been running numbers and timelines through my head and I think I'm at the point where I can start tightening up the build. I think I'm also going to lift the rear another inch so I have 3" springs F+R. This way I can dial in all of the CAs and angles, get new driveshafts, so that by the time the 32s either A). Bite the dust or B). Limit me too much, I can throw the 33s on, set my bumps, and roll.

I’m sold- My 04 is essentially done- the lo pro set up with added clearance worked out awesome- it is the tightest smoothest one I have owned- @Hog drove it today and can weigh in.

I hope you share your experience. Seeing what I've seen, I can't convince myself that the lopro mount is a good idea irrespective of cost. I have seen Andy's post and there is no way in hell that I would buy a product like that where you have to hack it up that much just to reduce vibrations to a tolerable level. And I'm not convinced that adding rubber washers like Andy did is good from a mechanical point of view..

Reactions: kiwi and Alex01
I hope you share your experience. Seeing what I've seen, I can't convince myself that the lopro mount is a good idea irrespective of cost. I have seen Andy's post and there is no way in hell that I would buy a product like that where you have to hack it up that much just to reduce vibrations to a tolerable level. And I'm not convinced that adding rubber washers like Andy did is good from a mechanical point of view..

The way I see it is the alternative to making the 241 fit under the new skid is creating a custom crossmember for the transmission. I’m not at the point where I can make that big of a dive so for $100 I figured I can give this mount a try in the interim. My stock skid is really limiting what I want to do in terms of wheeling so I’m ready to get that thing raised asap.

It sucks because I don’t have any place right now to do custom work and leave things disassembled for lengthy periods of time, so everything I do needs to be “bolt-on” for now. If that makes sense?

The way I see it is the alternative to making the 241 fit under the new skid is creating a custom crossmember for the transmission. I’m not at the point where I can make that big of a dive so for $100 I figured I can give this mount a try in the interim. My stock skid is really limiting what I want to do in terms of wheeling so I’m ready to get that thing raised asap.

It sucks because I don’t have any place right now to do custom work and leave things disassembled for lengthy periods of time, so everything I do needs to be “bolt-on” for now. If that makes sense?

There is a Savvy Skid for sale on the Forum, right Now, for 700 bucks, shipped. I'm tits-deep in a Motorhome Refurb, or you can bet I wouldn't be telling you about it. :)

There is a Savvy MUA on the sale forum (see below). You can perhaps talk to Gerald for the right auto trans mount. I understand that you have the UCF skid and the LoPro mount may be tempting. Budget will always play role, but make sure you are doing the right thing for your Jeep long term. For the amount of work you'll be putting into that LoPro mount mount, it's still going to be a compromise in many ways and you'll end up redoing this all over again later.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/savvy-uam-kit-03-06.70743/

There is a Savvy Skid for sale on the Forum, right Now, for 700 bucks, shipped. I'm tits-deep in a Motorhome Refurb, or you can bet I wouldn't be telling you about it. :)

I saw that a couple days ago. He must have changed his price because when he first posted it it was $800 plus shipping.

Reactions: RINC
View attachment 407869

View attachment 407864

View attachment 407865

View attachment 407866

View attachment 407868

View attachment 407872

Looks like a fun day. The dealer that I bought my Jeep from put some Walmart all terrains on mine prior to me buying and I'm surprised at the places the tires have taken me.

IMG_20230312_125828_916.jpg

Looks like a fun day. The dealer that I bought my Jeep from put some Walmart all terrains on mine prior to me buying and I'm surprised at the places the tires have taken me.

View attachment 428294

Rubi Bro! Darn things are mountain goats.
ountain_goat_wa_north_cascades_2012-08-01_069_blog.jpg

View attachment 428294

An another Rubibro I see, @AndyG will get the application process started for you.

Good looking Jeep! Those Walmart tires aren’t bad depending on what you do.