2005 Rubicon Rear Differential Rubbing Fuel Tank

UPDATE: Completely sorted.
All adjustable control arms were seized. Had to apply tons of heat with oxy acetylene, pipe wrench, PB blaster and breaker bar to get the snug nut and rear upper threads to budge.
I also used the below chart as a guide to set the control arms. So, according to the chart, I set the adjustable UCA's in the rear to just under 15". What I didn't realize is the rear UCA's are factory 13.25", not 15" so when i lowered the vehicle, the diff hit the gas tank again. Only after searching a bit more did I realize the error. I set the UCAs a bit less than 13.25" and it now works perfectly. My error was not having OEM control arms on hand to verify the measurements.

Thanks all for the help!!

Stock Control arm Length.jpg

Reactions: Rob5589
I also used the below chart as a guide to set the control arms. So, according to the chart, I set the adjustable UCA's in the rear to just under 15". What I didn't realize is the rear UCA's are factory 13.25", not 15" so when i lowered the vehicle, the diff hit the gas tank again. Only after searching a bit more did I realize the error. I set the UCAs a bit less than 13.25" and it now works perfectly. My error was not having OEM control arms on hand to verify the measurements.

Thanks all for the help!!

View attachment 55970

Glad it's better than it was and I don't doubt that it is. But if the bump stops have been extended and with some amount of lift, wouldn't the arm lengths be different than stock in order to center the axle at full bump and to set the pinion at ride height?

Yes - My rear LCA are around 16" (from 15.75" stock) and uppers around 13.15" (from 13.25"). Its a jack screw, so i could only adjust to half turns. Slight changes for the mild lift. I've read where these 2.5" lifts are installed without adjustable control arms and just use factory control arms.

I still need to look at pinion angle, but my local auto parts stores didn't have the finder, so I eyeballed and axle looks to be much more centered than before. Back on the road for now.