2006 Black Wrangler LJ in Texas

mopar_tx

Well I finally bought me a Wrangler in Sept '18. I wanted a lower miles than what I got but for the price range I wanted to be in I think I did OK. I'm the 5th owner, its a has a hard top automatic. I was told by the previous owner that it had a lift on it when he purchased it. It appears to be a Teraflex 3" lift with quick disconnects and factory wheels with Toyo Open Country A/T 31-10.5-15s and a Barricade bumper. The led fog lights that came with the bumper aren't working and the KC's need to be rewired with a relay and a new switch. It is what I was looking for and has plenty of things that I can do just to clean it up a little. It's my 1st 4x4 and at a more experienced age. We'll see how it goes, I appreciate suggestions because I'm use to lowered 2wd truck.
1st pic '06 LJ.jpg
2nd pic driveway.jpg

You just stepped into the funnest vehicle you can own. You’ll love going toess and doorless next spring!

If it already has a 3” lift on it, I’d get a 1” body lift and put 33’s on it. The 31’s look small on it as it sits.

Welcome to TJ paradise. Nice to see a fellow Texan. Here’s to you from the Hill Country.:beer-toast1:

I did a cheap headlight upgrade I had read an article on. I got some post '07 headlights($15) from an individual and bought some pigtail adapters(under $10) and led bulbs($35) off the internet. I think they turned out alright for the money spent. The steering stabilizer shock were white and rusty so I removed them bead blasted them and painted them flat black and wipe down the shock boots. Then after much deliberation and finding a sale, I bought some Trail Master 17x9 (5x4.5/5x5) and some Pro Comp 305/65-17s and put them on. I am happy with the change in appearance and ride as well. So far I have no tire fitment issues but it's just been on pavement for the most part. I'll address those issues when they get here. I'm trying to figure out some other things about my wrangler and figure what's next. I have a tailgate/window sealing issue and the carpet that keeps moving around on me that is driving me crazy.
06 new wheels  I.jpg
front end no plate.jpg
front flare 10-18-18.jpg
steering stabilzer.jpg

You just stepped into the funnest vehicle you can own. You’ll love going toess and doorless next spring!

If it already has a 3” lift on it, I’d get a 1” body lift and put 33’s on it. The 31’s look small on it as it sits.

Welcome to TJ paradise. Nice to see a fellow Texan. Here’s to you from the Hill Country.:beer-toast1:
I would like to keep my toes and I have already got 33's, I'm just slow and getting anything posted. I'm looking forward to Hidden Falls and wherever else. Thanks MOE

Great looking LJ..cant go wrong with black...Those tyres either need to be bigger or more air ;)

EDIT - Oops sorry I was only looking at your first pics...much better now

Last edited:
I would like to keep my toes and I have already got 33's, I'm just slow and getting anything posted. I'm looking forward to Hidden Falls and wherever else. Thanks MOE
LOL. Yeah, toes are good to hang onto. Topless is good too!

Yeah, looks much better with the 33’s

Reactions: mopar_tx
Thanks I agree, I couldn't get wheels/tires fast enough. I just over think things so it took me a little longer to figure out what I wanted.
Wheels and tyres are normally the first to get changed if you buy one that pretty much stock....looks a lot better proportioned now.

I’m asking about the purpose of the 2nd steering damper (the thing that looks like a shock absorber with the red boot) that appears to be attached on the right side to your tie rod, not sure what it’s connected to on the left, maybe the track bar??? I’m asking because the one on top of it is what your LJ came out of the factory with & is all that is needed for its designed purpose, arguably. The lower one was added on by one of the prior owners and is by all accounts superfluous.

And it hangs too low :D

I thought that is what you were referring to. The last owner said he put it on because it either had a death wobble or he was trying to prevent it. Yes, it is attached to the track bar.

"No we are not relations, sir!"

hahaha that's the best line & they cut it short...

Anyway, I'd read this thread carefully to address the prospect of death wobble, I don't think it's advisable to correct it with a second damper, or a new first damper for that matter...:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...ng-vibrations-or-death-wobble-read-this.6883/

I thought that is what you were referring to. The last owner said he put it on because it either had a death wobble or he was trying to prevent it. Yes, it is attached to the track bar.

"No we are not relations, sir!"
Yeah, I wondered what that thing was too. It won’t fix DW, but if you don’t have DW, then I’d leave it for now. If you have trouble down the line, never buy the line that a steering damper will fix the problem. They only mask the problem and it will be back.

• Wow
Reactions: Chief Brohician
I don't know either, from the "cheap seats" it's on there now. If it fails or if I have to remove it for something than I'll think about putting it back on or not. The wrangler had a bit a swaying motion with the 31/10.5-15s on it. Now with the new W/Ts it seems to be doing better. We'll see how it goes. Thanks, MOE

"Buying a used jeep is like a box of Chocolates, you neve know what you're going to get"

I don't know either, from the "cheap seats" it's on there now. If it fails or if I have to remove it for something than I'll think about putting it back on or not. The wrangler had a bit a swaying motion with the 31/10.5-15s on it. Now with the new W/Ts it seems to be doing better. We'll see how it goes. Thanks, MOE

"Buying a used jeep is like a box of Chocolates, you neve know what you're going to get"[/QUOT
Yeah, I wondered what that thing was too. It won’t fix DW, but if you don’t have DW, then I’d leave it for now. If you have trouble down the line, never buy the line that a steering damper will fix the problem. They only mask the problem and it will be back.
I read some of that link. I hadn't experienced any vibrations or wobbles yet, so we'll see.

Wait... why is there two steering stabilizers? Remove that bottom one ASAP. It's absolutely useless and it's in a prime spot to get damaged (if you go off-road at all).

Other than that though, great looking LJ!

Great looking Jeep!! Do you know if it has the stock 3:73 gears in it? If so you might consider upgrading a bit.

Any other mods/upgrades in the plans?
I'm not sure about the gear ratio, I haven't checked it yet. I'm assuming it is just on what the mpg were with the 31/10.5-15s. I'll check it soon and/or remover the diff cover to see what it looks like in there.
As far as other upgrades, I'm about to replace the rear bumper so I can get that heavy W/T off the tailgate and there is a part of the frame back there that needs some surface rust removed and a little rattle can love. After that I'm sure I will play it by ear and at least get what I need to hit the trails the way I want too. I'm never done with anything I have. I still have to old cars in the garage and a truck in the driveway.

Reactions: JMT
Nice LJ.

That 2nd damper is asking to get bent on the trail, and make getting home a problem. More isn't more.

The fogs on front may be wired to the driving light circuit , which only works on dim , when you pull out on the turn signal lever.

If KC 's blow a relay , too much pull is on it usually , it's a KC specific relay , and basically only sold by them.. The ones at parts stores appear identical but they aren't .

I keep a spare in my glove box.

They also sell an led conversion for those .

My favorite mod and upgrades

1.regear

2.Savvy shift cable

3 . Bartact seat covers

4 . Regear

5. Spicer u joints

6. Back up camera

7 . Did I say regear yet

Reactions: mopar_tx