2006 Black Wrangler LJ in Texas

Thanks, he had the KCs wired straight from the battery through the switch with no relay. So it smoked the switch of course. I just have to wire in a relay. I've got a relay, I just need to put it in. Thank you for the suggestions.

Reactions: JMT
I'm not sure about the gear ratio, I haven't checked it yet. I'm assuming it is just on what the mpg were with the 31/10.5-15s. I'll check it soon and/or remover the diff cover to see what it looks like in there.
As far as other upgrades, I'm about to replace the rear bumper so I can get that heavy W/T off the tailgate and there is a part of the frame back there that needs some surface rust removed and a little rattle can love. After that I'm sure I will play it by ear and at least get what I need to hit the trails the way I want too. I'm never done with anything I have. I still have to old cars in the garage and a truck in the driveway.
FYI, the frame color is matched perfect with Krylon Semi-Flat.

Not sure what you’re planning for rear bumper and tire carrier, but they are very expensive and just about every one I have seen has problems. I prefer the Moryde/Exogate. It will handle up to a 35 easy and is much lighter. It also allows you to open the tailgate as normal and without the additional step of unlocking the mechanism from the bumper to swing it out, and then the tailgate separately. It’s also only $329 and then you have a lot more bumper options.

There is often a small strip of metal on the diff cover bolts that list your gear ratio.

Nice looking LJ! It is always interesting inspecting the Jeep and seeing the weird S that previous owners have done. Mine didn't have any parking brake assemblies, which why you would remove that is beyond me..

Do you know where you want to go with it long term? I find having a path to guide you on helps out a lot :)

Reactions: Chief Brohician
Nice looking LJ! It is always interesting inspecting the Jeep and seeing the weird S that previous owners have done. Mine didn't have any parking brake assemblies, which why you would remove that is beyond me..

Do you know where you want to go with it long term? I find having a path to guide you on helps out a lot :)
FYI, the frame color is matched perfect with Krylon Semi-Flat.

Not sure what you’re planning for rear bumper and tire carrier, but they are very expensive and just about every one I have seen has problems. I prefer the Moryde/Exogate. It will handle up to a 35 easy and is much lighter. It also allows you to open the tailgate as normal and without the additional step of unlocking the mechanism from the bumper to swing it out, and then the tailgate separately. It’s also only $329 and then you have a lot more bumper options.

There is often a small strip of metal on the diff cover bolts that list your gear ratio.
I have a print out on what it came with from the factory, I just meant to check and see if the gears had been changed by one of the previous owners.

I installed a Smittybuilt SRC rockcrawler bumper with tire carrier and D-rings and Class III rec hitch. The bolts weren't bad removing the factory parts. I had to show some "rattle can love" to the frame section under the tailgate. I could see it every time I was behind my LJ. The only issue is my jeep without a body lift has no clearance for my tailgate to open and clear the grease fitting on the tire carrier pivot. It looks like if I had a body lift it would clear. I'm going to fill it up with grease and then replace the grease fitting with a bolt until it's time to fill it up with grease again.
rbumper before I.jpg
rbumper before II.jpg
rbumper after 1.jpg
rbumper after 2.jpg

Reactions: Chris and JMT
Love the LJ! Got a black one myself. I see you do not have door surrounds be careful when shutting the doors, don't smash them too hard until you get the surrounds as the flex in the door & window frame can make them crack there :(

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Love the LJ! Got a black one myself. I see you do not have door surrounds be careful when shutting the doors, don't smash them too hard until you get the surrounds as the flex in the door & window frame can make them crack there :(
Thanks for the info. I don't have a soft top yet we just took it off for the weekend and then put it back on. I'll keep that tip in mind.MOE

I've been doing a couple of things just delayed on putting anything on. Walking up to my LJ in a parking lot and the 2 things that drive me crazy was the rusty little tail pipe and the surface rust on the front frame horns. So I found a Banks cat back exhaust on craigslist for $40 and some parts I took off my LJ. I had to also do the u-joints on the rear drive shaft. Then I removed the front bumper to have it repowdercoated and replace the LED's in the bumper and clean up the frame horns. which turned into removing the front sway bar to clean up, the steering box skid plate, the KC lights, and whatever else I find that needs attention. I'm still working on the KC lights but the rest has come together pretty good. Also I need to order new sway bar links, these seem pretty dry and don't see how they will hold grease in them. I ordered a winch today and it will be in soon. I'm getting closer to coming out on the trails soon. With the biggest hurdle being time.

lj tailpipe.jpg

lj tailpipe 2.jpg

lj frt bumoer 1.jpg

frt bumper 2.jpg

frt bumper 3.jpg

lft frame horn.jpg

rt frame horn.jpg

frt frame.jpg

sway bar link.jpg

frt bumper 4.jpg

KC 1.jpg

KC 2.jpg

KC 3.jpg

I'm also going to shorten that tailpipe and have it welded and get rid of the exhaust clamp. I drilled holes in the bumper just underneath the light mounts before powdercoating so I could hide the wiring inside the bumper when I rewire the KC lights. I'll post up a pic when I'm done. I thought I had pics of the frame before sanding and painting but I must not have. It's more trying to slow down the rust then just making it pretty. There were some spots on the bottom of the grill where the 'JEEP" cover was rubbing the paint off and I even painted it to cover the bare metal. I'm working on cutting some of the cover off so it fits better.

Last edited:
I feel for those of you guys up north! The 2 Torx bolts on the bottom side of the bumper killed my 1st jap socket and I had to get a better one. I can only imagine if I was in an area where they salted the roads.

Bought a soft top for Spring and Fall. Just put it on last week and then went to Surfside Beach for St Patrick's day weekend. Unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate, but we had fun anyway. A little fuzzy on the blown up beach pic.

Reactions: Chief Brohician
I had a radiator leak for a week or so and didn't know. I replaced it with the Moshimoto radiator. It says direct bolt in, the holes line up but none of the bolts are correct nor the coolant line adaptors sent in the box. I am happy with the radiator despite those issues.
rad 1.jpg
rad 2.jpg
rad 6.jpg
rad 3.jpg
rad 4.jpg