2006 engine block in a 2000?

1o1proof

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So the 2000 4.0 dropped a main bearing, and has to be replaced. I found a guy with an 06 doing an LS swap with a good motor and figured that would be a cost effective solution. Its a simple swap, or at least it should be…however, the OPDA and sensor are obviously different. My plan is to find TDC and just swap the assembly. Will this work?

I don't personally know for sure but I have read there are enough differences between 2000 and 2006 blocks that I would not expect it to be a trivial conversion.

Reactions: 1o1proof
I had to swap the intake as well, due to slight wiring differences. These are the only things I have found so far.

I wouldn’t expect the internal drive gear to be different, but that is just a guess. The plan is to find TDC on the old engine, mark the drive assembly, find TDC on the new engine and install. So I will be using the old assembly and wiring harness.

I have had a run of bad luck, maybe that will change here. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Yes, it should be fine. You will have to use the flywheel/flexplate from your 2000 4.0. You will have to swap OPDA, you may have to swap over some sensors and I think the intake if I remember correctly. The iat sensor is in the intake on yours verses the air duct on the 05-06. And obviously the engine harness is different.
The engine mount brackets are also different.
I swapped an 05 4.0 into a 2002 tj a few years ago and it ran fine until he crashed it.

Reactions: 1o1proof
You will need to swap over the OPDA/cam sensor and any other sensors that are different than what is on the 06.

Sounds like you have taken care of most of that with putting the old intake on it.

I know the 06 has the more restrictive exhaust ports, but I'm not sure what yr that was phased in so check the exh manifold to port alignment.

Thank you both for the reply, makes me feel much better about the swap. I had not notice the engine mounts, I appreciate the heads up!

So the 2000 4.0 dropped a main bearing, and has to be replaced. I found a guy with an 06 doing an LS swap with a good motor and figured that would be a cost effective solution. Its a simple swap, or at least it should be…however, the OPDA and sensor are obviously different. My plan is to find TDC and just swap the assembly. Will this work?
Does the 2000 have the coil rail on the plugs?

But yes, your camshaft synchronizer will plug right into block with no issue.

Yes, it should be fine. You will have to use the flywheel/flexplate from your 2000 4.0. You will have to swap OPDA, you may have to swap over some sensors and I think the intake if I remember correctly. The iat sensor is in the intake on yours verses the air duct on the 05-06. And obviously the engine harness is different.
The engine mount brackets are also different.
I swapped an 05 4.0 into a 2002 tj a few years ago and it ran fine until he crashed it.
When did the engine side cast brackets change? I know they did but the frame didn't and all you need is the motor side from the right year and it works, I just don't know what the split is.

We helped with an 05 into a 99 and it was very helpful to have both complete set ups to mix and match parts.

When did the engine side cast brackets change? I know they did but the frame didn't and all you need is the motor side from the right year and it works, I just don't know what the split is.

We helped with an 05 into a 99 and it was very helpful to have both complete set ups to mix and match parts.
I think it was 2003. the aftermarket brackets from M.O.R.E. says 2000-06. I needed one for my jeep a while ago, I tried one from an 02 and it didn't work.

Yes it does.
Good because the bolt bosses for it are not even there on the earlier motors so that's very good. The rest should just be matching up sensors and what not out of the 2000 and finding homes for them on the later motor. I believe that the IAT hole is there and plugged, if not, just swap intakes over.

I am possibly going to do the same swap, a 2006 4L into a 2000 4L. I understand you swapped intake manifolds and all those sensors with it and new motor mounts. How did this work for you? In the end, what parts needed to be swapped? I looked up the crank position sensors and they are different but use the same plug.
I can also get a 2004 to swap in but it has more miles on it.