2006 LJ Rubicon Locker Questions

LieutenantJohnson

TJ Enthusiast
Ride of the Month Winner
Last year with my 4L in my 2006 LJR, the stock rear locker LSD blew into bits going down the hwy. So I replaced it with a used Front rubicon locker. Well I just went to a fluid change on the diffs this week and little bits of the spider gears came out of the rear diff. So looks like that one is toast too :( . This time with my LS motor.

Questions I have. Will an ARB , Eaton or Grizzly /Detroit be as vulnerable? Are the spiders any stronger OR does the carrier beef things up?

I am at a crossroads what to do. I run 36" light TSLs on chromoly shafts. The front has NEVER been an issue. The rear seems like a liability with or without the 4L or LS motor....

So do I just upgrade the Locker/carrier? Will this solve the issue.

I am honestly thinking about selling it, once fixed, then save for a built TJ with LS and tons. I don't have the time or money to build axles at the moment

I'd trust either a real Detroit Locker (not a knock-off) or ARB Air Locker to that power. But since you're in Vancouver where it can get icy I'd go for the selectable ARB.

Reactions: LieutenantJohnson
thanks Jerry. So are you saying that the CARRIER will beef up that rear better? Is that why the spiders are cracking/breaking away, because of the weak Rubi carrier?
While I personally haven't had problems with the Rubicon locker, it's not known for its strength. Not sure what the weakness is but I'd suspect the case/carrier. There are a lot of big V-8 engines pushing Detroit Lockers and ARB Air Lockers but as edited above, due to your potential for icy streets, I'd go for the ARB if it was me.

While I personally haven't had problems with the Rubicon locker, it's not known for its strength. Not sure what the weakness is but I'd suspect the case/carrier. There are a lot of big V-8 engines pushing Detroit Lockers and ARB Air Lockers but as edited above, due to your potential for icy streets, I'd go for the ARB if it was me.
Yeah that make sense. For sure with the icy/snowy roads detroit may not be the best.

I would hate to sell the Jeep but it is just too much work for me as I get older. Like stated, I broke my rear with my 4L and careful wheeling. I want to be optimistic about adding a full case locker BUT don't want to invest in an axle that could blow up again soon. This is now 2 lockers in the last 2 years

I'm pretty sure that Eaton makes a locker similar to the Rubi locker. On is locked, off is limited slip. Living up in snow territory I'd think this is a better option. Having all or nothing is great in the sun shiny states, but having that limited slip can save your (Canadian) bacon when the roads get shitty.

I'm pretty sure that Eaton makes a locker similar to the Rubi locker. On is locked, off is limited slip. Living up in snow territory I'd think this is a better option. Having all or nothing is great in the sun shiny states, but having that limited slip can save your (Canadian) bacon when the roads get shitty.
thanks for the response. I am not too concerned with a Limited slip in the locker as it is not my DD. The limited slip is a liability in my mind too. More parts to wear and break.

I just want technical info that the ARB, Eaton etc...should hold up better because of ??? Carrier? tougher Spiders?

Eaton does not offer a locker/LSD that I'm aware of.

thanks for the response. I am not too concerned with a Limited slip in the locker as it is not my DD. The limited slip is a liability in my mind too. More parts to wear and break.

I just want technical info that the ARB, Eaton etc...should hold up better because of ??? Carrier? tougher Spiders?

Count the spider gears on the front Rubicon locker and compare to your other locker options. Then for fun compare the size of the helical gears in the rear with something like a TrueTrack LSD.

An arb has a 4-pinion spider, much stronger than a typical 2-pinion.
16A0B258-14CB-4EA9-84DD-59503D3DA105.png

Thanks everyone. I confirmed with Eaton their new design is a 4 pinion and stronger than the stock Rubicon locker.

Will swapping one in next week. Then hopefully wire up to my stock switch