2006 Rubicon anti-lift

Maybe so. However, the reasons for going through the effort would be different if the modified version of the Jeep had been put together in ways that several of us know to be improvements over stock.

We could go through the long list of conclusions that justify the return to stock and have an interesting discussion from it. But that is unlikely to happen.

Ultimately, the Jeep is where Larry wants and needs it to be. That is all that really matters.

Maybe so. However, the reasons for going through the effort would be different if the modified version of the Jeep had been put together in ways that several of us know to be improvements over stock.

We could go through the long list of conclusions that justify the return to stock and have an interesting discussion from it. But that is unlikely to happen.

Ultimately, the Jeep is where Larry wants and needs it to be. That is all that really matters.

I agree It might be an interesting discussion but in my case it would not have changed anything. As I previously said, I liked how the lift performed and it was tested. I didn’t return to stock because of any lift shortcomings. I in fact was happiest with the Jeep lifted when off road. I never had a single problem. It seems there is a rising change in the direction of this thread indicating that if I had a better lift ( by someone else’s definition) I wouldn’t have had to return to stock.
I guess some guys can’t accept any Jeep owner would ever have a good reason to remove a quality lift (your definition of quality).
I don’t know how I could make it more clear why I removed the lift.
Why is that so hard to understand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tranz Zam
You lowered it to make it easier for your bum knee. I thought it was pretty dang clear to me. I'm sure we can blow it way out of proportion and make this a 50 page thread though. You're on your way! Lol!

Reactions: jjvw and BendLarry
I guess some guys can’t accept any Jeep owner would ever have a good reason to remove a quality lift (your definition of quality).
I don’t know how I could make it more clear why I removed the lift.
Why is that so hard to understand?

I am glad that you are satisfied with the end result. I even accept that you are happy with the end result. :)

Like I said Larry, it takes guts to do anything not mainstream today.

It takes zero courage to follow the flow.
Pretty impressed with Chris for deleting a bunch of those replies.

Reactions: BendLarry
Got my tj from my dad. It's stock. I'm old so he's a dinosaur. He has a stock 1987 (?) cj, winch, slightly bigger tires. He got rid of mine so he could get a DD with a 4.0, hardtop, and better AC. 1994 yj.

He has scared the crap out of my kids, my wife, my brother in law, and me when trying to get to an old mine or waterfall or whatever. Like "ok, you guys stand on the left rear corner of the bumper, we'll make it."

Nothing wrong with stock if you're trying to see something cool. You may not clear the biggest rocks but there is definitely fun to be had.

The main reason we ALL love our Jeep is because they are a do everything vehicle ...Rock crawling, desert roads, climb a mountain, hit the beach, overland or simply to go the mall ;)….and to this end Im a firm believer in the adage of building your Jeep for what your needs are......

You lowered it to make it easier for your bum knee. I thought it was pretty dang clear to me.
I dare you to go read posts 1-35 and simply copy and paste the part which explains that. It may be clear to you having some insider knowledge, the rest of us reading those not so much. The conclusions arrived at after reading those posts do not make that clear in the least and in fact if you read the first post, it sets the tone for most of what follows- "
This is how a TJ should be set up IMHO
".

I dare you to go read posts 1-35 and simply copy and paste the part which explains that. It may be clear to you having some insider knowledge, the rest of us reading those not so much. The conclusions arrived at after reading those posts do not make that clear in the least and in fact if you read the first post, it sets the tone for most of what follows- "
This is how a TJ should be set up IMHO
".

Post 35,

" #2, a few years ago I hurt my knee and getting into a 5 inch lifted Jeep with 33’s was a real pain, even with the electric steps. "

"The goal was to restore the ride qualities that I knew were possible while still maintaining a capable rock crawling Jeep, with some reduced capabilities. I was going to realize a 7 inch drop but only lose 2 inches of ground clearance."

Reactions: BendLarry
Since that's quoted, and I wondered about it when I read it the first time, how does one only lose 2" of ground clearance with a 7" drop.

Since that's quoted, and I wondered about it when I read it the first time, how does one only lose 2" of ground clearance with a 7" drop.

The difference between a 33 inch and 31 inch tire equals 2 inches. You add the 5 inch drop from returning to stock plus the 2 inch drop with the tire change and you get 7 inches.

I'm not following the math. Was there a t case drop that was removed after reducing the spring lift?

Last I checked, my frame height under the door is at about 20" with my ~33s and a 4" spring lift. I would expect a stock-ish Rubicon to be about 13.5-14", I think.

The difference between a 33 inch and 31 inch tire equals 2 inches. You add the 5 inch drop from returning to stock plus the 2 inch drop with the tire change and you get 7 inches.

If you lowered it a total of 7", it's 7" lower. Sure the diffs are only 2" lower now, but everything else is 7" lower.

I'm not following the math. Was there a t case drop that was removed after reducing the spring lift?

No other lift components. I’ll try to simplify this. The lowest hanging item is the differentials. Going from a 33 to 31 brings the differentials 2 inches closer to the ground thus a loss of 2 inches of ground clearance.
The suspension lift was 5 inches plus a 1 1/2 inch spring spacer on top of my front springs.
My butt with the lift was raised by the lift and additional height of the tires 7 inches (didn’t count the spring spacer in this math) sooo remove the lift and install 31’s and the overall drop of my butt is 7 inches.