2006 Rubicon four-wheel-drive selector switch question

AndyG

Because some other guys are perverts
Lifetime Supporting Member
Are these as picky about the brand of the component that you purchase as they are with sensors,etc.

Are you talking about the locker switch or something else? The switch isn’t just a switch, i took one apart the other day and was suprised by how much circuitry it has.

3C5B49CE-30CD-4A25-8B5C-492A205EE772.jpeg

The four-wheel-drive selector switch this is the switch on the transfer case that actuates the light- Further question is does all that go through the PCM on a Rubi- Looking at what you’re showing makes me think that it might.

Ah the indicator switch. It’s just a simple switch to ground so doubt it’s picky about brand. I replaced my non-Rubicon with a Crown and it’s been trouble free. It goes directly to the Instrument Cluster to turn the 4wd light on and assist in the logic if lockers can be enabled on not.

I think the switch is used on things like the Ram series trucks so they can be found cheap.

Reactions: AndyG
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Ah the indicator switch. It’s just a simple switch to ground so doubt it’s picky about brand. I replaced my non-Rubicon with a Crown and it’s been trouble free. It goes directly to the Instrument Cluster to turn the 4wd light on and assist in the logic if lockers can be enabled on not.
OK thanks the Rubicon circuitry is a good bit more complicated- Rubicons will not activate the lockers unless the vehicle knows it’s in four Lo-or the system has been overrode.

I’m gonna try to tag @Jerry Bransford - I know he’s going to tell me the wire everything direct and I’m not opposed to that I’m just trying to understand which selector switch to purchase and if the PCM is part of the circuitry-

Thanks man

One thing I don’t like about the switch is the fact it in its normal position which is going to be 2 hi the spring is full compressed rather than at rest.

Ya, my answer is based on the Rubicon wiring & logic. I currently have my cluster and axle lock switch on a bench since I am trying to replicate the factory setup in my non-Rubicon.

The indicator switch goes to the cluster.
The speed goes to the PCM and the PCM sends it to the cluster.
The transfer case gear (high or low) goes to the PCM and the PCM sends it to the cluster.
The cluster then applies the complicated logic and grounds LOCKER ENABLE 1 & LOCKER ENABLE 2 wires which go to the locker switch
The locker switch then activates the FRONT LOCKER REQUEST & REAR LOCKER REQUEST based on the ENABLE 1 & 2 signals.
The FRONT & REAR LOCKER INDICATOR SWITCH SENSE gets sent to the cluster and if after being requested doesn't activate within a few seconds, the cluster cancels the request by turning ENABLE 1 & 2 off.

Reactions: Mike_H and pagrey
OK thanks the Rubicon circuitry is a good bit more complicated- Rubicons will not activate the lockers unless the vehicle knows it’s in four Lo-or the system has been overrode.

I’m gonna try to tag @Jerry Bransford - I know he’s going to tell me the wire everything direct and I’m not opposed to that I’m just trying to understand which selector switch to purchase and if the PCM is part of the circuitry-

Thanks man

One thing I don’t like about the switch is the fact it in its normal position which is going to be 2 hi the spring is full compressed rather than at rest.
Looks like i'm wrong, i just checked the FSM and on the Rubicon the indicator does go to the PCM but in the non-Rubicon it goes direct to the Cluster. What's interesting is the logic still works in the non-Rubicon (ie. you can't enable lockers without 4wd being turned on) but as far as i know, they never offered lockers in non-Rubicons.

The Rubicon Transfer case (241OR) uses a 6 position 4wd switch that you should try and get a MOPAR unit. It operates based on sending a resistance signal to the PCM so the PCM knows which position the transfer case is in. The switch IS NOT a Normally Open 12V switch going right to the 4WD indicator light on the cluster, as the TJ w/231's do.

23E1B5A5-6C6E-4553-ACE0-381BFC7D5B05.png

Reactions: LJGreg
Looks like i'm wrong, i just checked the FSM and on the Rubicon the indicator does go to the PCM but in the non-Rubicon it goes direct to the Cluster. What's interesting is the logic still works in the non-Rubicon (ie. you can't enable lockers without 4wd being turned on) but as far as i know, they never offered lockers in non-Rubicons.
Thank you for posting that

The Rubicon Transfer case (241OR) uses a 6 position 4wd switch that you should try and get a MOPAR unit. It operates based on sending a resistance signal to the PCM so the PCM knows which position the transfer case is in. The switch IS NOT a Normally Open 12V switch going right to the 4WD indicator light on the cluster, as the TJ w/231's do.
That's pretty slick. Now I want a 241OR :D

The 241 is rare for Jeeps but not for pretty much every Ram truck out there, that switch isn't special. You wont find many people having problems with generic sensors on Ram trucks. Obviously get what you feel comfortable with but just because the "OR" is rare doesn't really mean anything for 241 parts in general.

Reactions: AndyG

View attachment 321423
Thank you sir

Ya, my answer is based on the Rubicon wiring & logic. I currently have my cluster and axle lock switch on a bench since I am trying to replicate the factory setup in my non-Rubicon.

The indicator switch goes to the cluster.
The speed goes to the PCM and the PCM sends it to the cluster.
The transfer case gear (high or low) goes to the PCM and the PCM sends it to the cluster.
The cluster then applies the complicated logic and grounds LOCKER ENABLE 1 & LOCKER ENABLE 2 wires which go to the locker switch
The locker switch then activates the FRONT LOCKER REQUEST & REAR LOCKER REQUEST based on the ENABLE 1 & 2 signals.
The FRONT & REAR LOCKER INDICATOR SWITCH SENSE gets sent to the cluster and if after being requested doesn't activate within a few seconds, the cluster cancels the request by turning ENABLE 1 & 2 off.
Thank you I just saw this