2006 Rubicon manual to auto swap

STOUD

Supporting Member
I have a mechanically stock 2006 LJR with 60,000 original miles on it. I have seen a few swap threads in here but none covering the 2006. My understanding is the 05/06 is unique when comes to a lot of mods for various reasons. So i have come for advice on how to do this properly or at least effectively.

I want to swap the NSG370 six speed for the 42RLe auto trans. I know the 42 gets shit on because of the overdrive but I differ to the pros and the below made my decision for me.

mrblaine
It is a good swap into the same years it came in. If you have a 42 compatible rig, you should swap in the 42 since you at least get an overdrive. I would never swap a 32 into an 03-06.

I got a general parts list and price from the Swap 1998 4.0 manual for automatic. How expensive? thread.

Drive shafts: Will the LJ need new drive shafts? (see bellyskid)
Auto PCM: I have ordered a Wranglerfix unit for an auto
Shift indicator bezel: I have
Belly skid adapter: Is this the right time to do the Savvy TT? The Official Tummy Tuck FAQ Thread
Trans cooler lines: I have
OEM radiator: I thought a saw somewhere that Jeep shipped all units with an auto radiator. Is this true?
t-case linkage cable: I will probably just buy the Savvy shift cable.

And of course the Transmission.

What I'm I missing?

Last edited:
I have a mechanically stock 2006 LJR with 60,000 original miles on it. I have seen a few swap threads in here but none covering the 2006. My understanding is the 05/06 is unique when comes to a lot of mods for various reasons. So i have come for advice on how to do this properly or at least effectively.

I want to swap the NSG370 six speed for the 42RLe auto trans. I know the 42 gets shit on because of the overdrive but I differ to the pros and the below made my decision for me.

I got a general parts list and price from the Swap 1998 4.0 manual for automatic. How expensive? thread.

Drive shafts: Will the LJ need new drive shafts? (see bellyskid)
Auto PCM: I have ordered a Wranglerfix unit for an auto
Shift indicator bezel: I have
Belly skid adapter: Is this the right time to do the Savvy TT? The Official Tummy Tuck FAQ Thread
Trans cooler lines: I have
OEM radiator: I thought a saw somewhere that Jeep shipped all units with an auto radiator. Is this true?
t-case linkage cable: I will probably just buy the Savvy shift cable.

And of course the Transmission.

What I'm I missing?

You will need the following-
Trans with torque converter, stiffening ring, crankshaft bolts and the biggie, crank bushing for pilot on converter.
Trans bellhousing to engine block bolts.
Trans specific trans mount.
05-06 Rubicon dash side harness to get the OD off switch and Rubi locker switch connectors.
Chassis harness from middle of firewall that has both plugs on it. Manual has a single plug, Can use harness from TJ and splice in just past the pump connectors to pick up that section.
Auto PCM.
Trans cooler lines
Auto radiator with cooler ports
Shift indicator bezel.
Floor plate for shifter.
Shifter.
Trans shifter cable.
Firewall block off plate for clutch master
Brake pedal for auto deletes clutch pedal.

Driveshafts stay the same.
T-case shifter is the same.
No adapter needed at belly skid.
Make sure trans has the shifter cable bracket, dipstick and tube.
Dorman makes a very nice pan if you need something with a drain and maybe a temp sender bung. I can add the bung if needed.
Highly recommend a temp gauge. Only place it mounts well is in the dash on the right side by the locker switches. Trans cooler should also be considered.

I think that gets most of it. I'll post more if I remember it.

Reactions: STOUD
If the San Clemente you live in is home of the Nixon summer Whitehouse, then we have easy ways to help.
It is the very same.

I'm stationed in Camp Pendleton for the foreseeable future and I don't want to squander the opportunity to get offroad while I have access to the holyland of off-roading.

I will accept all the help available.

Trans with torque converter, stiffening ring, crankshaft bolts and the biggie, crank bushing for pilot on converter.
05-06 Rubicon dash side harness to get the OD off switch and Rubi locker switch connectors.
Chassis harness from middle of firewall that has both plugs on it. Manual has a single plug, Can use harness from TJ and splice in just past the pump connectors to pick up that section.
Auto PCM.
Trans cooler lines
Shift indicator bezel.
Floor plate for shifter.
Shifter.
Trans shifter cable.

Dorman makes a very nice pan if you need something with a drain and maybe a temp sender bung. I can add the bung if needed.
Highly recommend a temp gauge. Only place it mounts well is in the dash on the right side by the locker switches. Trans cooler should also be considered.

Ok then! Im only missing about 90% of what I need. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Plumber1
The overdrive is easy to reverse its’ auto on function and PCM failures are minimal and fixable....unless you find someone like Blaine to do it you are more than likely headed for a can of worms. I’m not trying to blow him up, but the challenge of doing it is far beyond the threat of pcm failure or the worthless overdrive ratio.

Not trying to be a buzzkill, and if I’m speaking out if place I’ll get back in my corner.

The overdrive is easy to reverse its’ auto on function
Which is just a non issue.
and PCM failures are minimal and fixable....unless you find someone like Blaine to do it you are more than likely headed for a can of worms. I’m not trying to blow him up, but the challenge of doing it is far beyond the threat of pcm failure or the worthless overdrive ratio.

Not trying to be a buzzkill, and if I’m speaking out if place I’ll get back in my corner.
There is nothing custom about the swap. It uses OEM parts, they are available, and Mark has to date solved the PCM issues. It is a minorly complex puzzle that can be done by most. The second most difficult part is thinking through it and there is enough help here to make that not so bad. The single hardest part is the pilot bushing in the crank. That is very doable. Simply take a new pilot bearing bushing from a manual down to a machine shop with the converter. Have them measure the converter snout and open the hole in the bushing up to 1-2 thou larger.

Reactions: Wranglerfix
It is the very same.

I'm stationed in Camp Pendleton for the foreseeable future and I don't want to squander the opportunity to get offroad while I have access to the holyland of off-roading.

I will accept all the help available.
Worst case is I can convince my wiring guru to swing by when you get stuck and give you some pointers.

Good point, but from what I've read Mark over at wranglerfix has solved this problem for the community.
PCMs fear @Wranglerfix .....many of them straighten up when his name is mentioned.
Which is just a non issue.

There is nothing custom about the swap. It uses OEM parts, they are available, and Mark has to date solved the PCM issues. It is a minorly complex puzzle that can be done by most. The second most difficult part is thinking through it and there is enough help here to make that not so bad. The single hardest part is the pilot bushing in the crank. That is very doable. Simply take a new pilot bearing bushing from a manual down to a machine shop with the converter. Have them measure the converter snout and open the hole in the bushing up to 1-2 thou larger.
i never used the word custom, more the opposite, knowing the vehicles stock design well enough to make it happen is more like it.

Reactions: Wranglerfix
Auto PCM.
Trans cooler lines
Shift indicator bezel.
Floor plate for shifter.
Shifter.
Trans shifter cable.

Good list... Curious about the bell housing bolts. As I go thorough my mental inventory of the stuff I have, those are not on the list. Lengths are different I assume? I also don't have the clutch master block off plate, but that should be easy to fab.

Good list... Curious about the bell housing bolts. As I go thorough my mental inventory of the stuff I have, those are not on the list. Lengths are different I assume? I also don't have the clutch master block off plate, but that should be easy to fab.
Lengths are different. Davey has the block off plate.

Reactions: Mike_H