3 inch lift and transfer case skid drop

Danarch

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I think i’ve settled on a 3“ suspension lift. Some manufacturers provide and a drop kit for the tranny / tc skid and say it’s required (JKS) and then the next one says it’s not required (BDS), these are just examples. With a LJ Rubicon is the drop really required? I know part of the reason for a lift is larger tires, but also more clearance at the belly. So with a suspension lift which lowers the belly by 1 1/2” after the 3” lift you only gain 1 1/2” at the belly. What is everyone else’s experience?

Still somewhat thinking about a 4”, but don’t plan on going over 33” tires.

Reactions: inkedrose
I put a SYE on my 97. Came with a super crappy 4" ProComp lift kit. Had to cut the 1" square tube transfer case spacer in half to get the skid off...bolts were seized. So rather than replace the spacer and since I was dropping the transfer case and AX-15 to do the clutch it seemed like the right time for a SYE and new rear driveshaft.

Ultimately it comes down to vibrations.

-Mac

Reactions: P man and inkedrose
With a LJ Rubicon is the drop really required? What is everyone else’s experience?
Still somewhat thinking about a 4”, but don’t plan on going over 33” tires.

You won't need the drop with an LJR.
Obviously, no SYE needed either.
I use to run a 3" lift without a drop on stock arms with no issues.
Better off adding a body lift than going to 4".
YRMV

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the input. I’m glad I don’t need to do the SYE, sounds like a little bit of a project. That was my thought didn’t need the drop kit.

So if I end up going with the JKS I’d just skip the drop kit and MML they provide. Also I assume the TC linkage they provide wouldn’t need to be installed since the TC isn’t being dropped. I am leaning towards the BDS and adding some of the options like LCA, track bar etc.

I just wanted to say that I recently did a 3.5 inch front lift on my LJR and had a lot of interference issues with my Currie Rockjock track bar and the Dana 44 front. I had to cut the gusset off, bend the bar in a press, cycle it a million times, and still ended up running 2 and 7/8ths inch of bumpstop, bringing my overall travel straight back to stock levels (8 inches). Looking back on it now I would rather have kept the front lift at 2.5 with no adjustable, or jumped up to 4 inches lift. At 3 inches it's a weird place where you do need the adjustable track bar but it ends up becoming the number one interference point (with 9.5 inch travel Ranchos). If I moved up to the next Rancho, the RS55255 for a 4 inch lift, the shocks would be the number one interference point and not the track bar, maximizing travel and keeping the amount of bumpstop (3 inches).

Thank you everyone for the input. I’m glad I don’t need to do the SYE, sounds like a little bit of a project. That was my thought didn’t need the drop kit.

So if I end up going with the JKS I’d just skip the drop kit and MML they provide. Also I assume the TC linkage they provide wouldn’t need to be installed since the TC isn’t being dropped. I am leaning towards the BDS and adding some of the options like LCA, track bar etc.

I just installed the JKS 2 inch, and some thoughts for you... Not sure which shocks you are thinking of going with, but...

With the factory springs I was running Monroe shocks and 31's, and the ride wasn't harsh, but was stiff. Now with the lift, and 33's, I opted for the J-Spec shocks. The ride is better than stock, and way better than the monroe's. The J-spec shocks are a little stiff on the small/quick jolts, like expansion joints... but bigger/slower bumps (dips, etc) they have a slower response that smooths out the ride a lot. Jeep feels more planted than it did previously, and now I'm finding that I prefer the ride and handling a little more than that in the JT.

I was considering the 3.5 inch lift, but I opted for the 2 inch with 1.25 body and 1 inch MML strictly because I wanted to avoid vibrations, and didn't want to go over a 33 inch tire.

I just wanted to say that I recently did a 3.5 inch front lift on my LJR and had a lot of interference issues with my Currie Rockjock track bar and the Dana 44 front. I had to cut the gusset off, bend the bar in a press, cycle it a million times, and still ended up running 2 and 7/8ths inch of bumpstop, bringing my overall travel straight back to stock levels (8 inches).

This seems odd. I had no issues with my JKS trackbar.
Any reason why you couldn't just move the axle back?

This seems odd. I had no issues with my JKS trackbar.
Any reason why you couldn't just move the axle back?

I really wanted to keep the stock control arms. The long run goal is to run adjustable arms in the front with the taller rancho shocks and increase the ride height. Also need to get my bumpstops moved to the spring perch but it's fine for now, it only rubs on the pass coil at full droop a little bit. I should have cycled for a JKS bar before going straight to Currie, but everyone on the forum is adamant the Currie has the best fit. It's too late now my track bar frame mount is already drilled to 5/8ths and axle to 1/2. :confused:

Just to clarify the track bar just barely didn't clear, it would scrape the paint off the diff but would eventually pop over the other side if enough force was exerted. So it was never really a 100% full stop interference.

I just installed the JKS 2 inch, and some thoughts for you... Not sure which shocks you are thinking of going with, but...

With the factory springs I was running Monroe shocks and 31's, and the ride wasn't harsh, but was stiff. Now with the lift, and 33's, I opted for the J-Spec shocks. The ride is better than stock, and way better than the monroe's. The J-spec shocks are a little stiff on the small/quick jolts, like expansion joints... but bigger/slower bumps (dips, etc) they have a slower response that smooths out the ride a lot. Jeep feels more planted than it did previously, and now I'm finding that I prefer the ride and handling a little more than that in the JT.

I was considering the 3.5 inch lift, but I opted for the 2 inch with 1.25 body and 1 inch MML strictly because I wanted to avoid vibrations, and didn't want to go over a 33 inch tire.

Either the shocks that are an option by the lift company or Rancho’s as it seems everyone has a good experience with them.