31” vs 33” tires

TJim

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Hey guys!

I would like to ask your opinions about which size of tires should I prefer and why!

I have a 2004 TJ 2.4L (not 4.0L)
NV1500 transmission, NV231 Transfer Case
Dana 30 Front Axle, Dana 35 Rear Axle

Its my daily driver, and I enjoy some off road trips, not major rock crawling though.

So what size of tires do you guys think I should plan my build around? and why?

+ I have 16'' rims (shown in photo). Not lift kit and only 235/70r16 tires in the photo (equivalent to 29").

JPFriends - After Korinthia 2.JPG

@TJim this depends on a few factors. Budget being the major one. Next are your intentions for the vehicle and what you just plain want. Let’s go with the hypothetical situation that you “want” 33’s. This would require a 3-4 inch lift, a slip yoke eliminator, a double cardan rear drive shaft, and recommended re-gear. Can you run 33’s with out those things? Yes but it’s far less than ideal.

For 31’s far less is required. I ran 31’s on my SE until I could no longer stand the weak motor. For 31’s most recommend a modest lift of 2-3 inches and if you have vibes a transfer case drop could fix it but that is not the best way to go.A slip yoke eliminator and a double cardan rear drive shaft will help if not completely delete your vibes.

Ifn' it was me- with those 16" wheels- I would stay with what you have. With the 4cyl is not the strongest thing out there. I think you already jumped up to 16's from 15's-- you got to remember bigger tires and wheels need extra power to move. I think you should just keep it like it is, but I am an old fart and think differently than most

Reactions: TJim
I plan to go with 33's to force me to upgrade everything eventually but this Jeep is not my DD and I'm running the 4.0. If it was a 2.5 and my DD, probably go with 2" suspension lift, 1.25" BL and 31's. You can do a lot with that setup and still drive everyday

If you want a more aggressive stance, 2 inch BDS springs and a 31 inch tire max.

Your Jeep would really wake up with a re-gear. However the expense to re-gear would likely be argued that it would not be worth it.

Plus I think 33's will rub with out a lift. I am running 31's with no lift whatsoever- and I am lucky it doesnt rub @ full turn- most folks have to add a washer or two @ the steering stops to keep from rubbing. Just looking @ the stance of your jeep , 33's are going to be to big with out some type of lift. The tires you have fill up the wheel well pretty good right there- thats about how mine looks and I like that-- its all a personal preferance

And since you "enjoy those off road trips" and looks like you could be doing a little muddin' - spend the $ on a winch instead of tires

Thanks everyone for their response!

I am leaning towards 31 inch tires max, since I have the 2.4L TJ. (with a 2-2.5 inch lift kit)

Th truth is I am quite happy with my TJ so far (in muddy, and rocky conditions, I haven't tried it in sand yet), but I would like to have some more clearance for the rocks.

SO:
I would like to upgrade from 29" tires to 31" tires with a 2-2.5" lift kit. I would not like to do a transfer case drop though, since I dont want to run bigger tires just for the sake of doing it, but to have some more clearance, which I am going to lose with the drop.

I am well aware and planning every single mod thinking about the weight that I am going to add in the vehicle, since the 2.4L should not be necessarily loaded.

Winch is next! (I am going to use stock bumper, since I dont want to put the weight of an aftermarket bumper, but also make it removable, so I dont carry it everyday, but only in trips)

Reactions: Nickgsjeep and JMT
You could split the difference and go with a 32" tire. 2" OME springs, Rancho 5000x shocks. If you have 4.10 gears you should still have enough motor for a daily and get a good set of "C" range 16" tires. 265/75R16 give me no rub when turning or flexing. And they fill out the wheel well just about perfect in my eye.

Reactions: FJQue
I would like to upgrade from 29" tires to 31" tires with a 2-2.5" lift kit. I would not like to do a transfer case drop though, since I dont want to run bigger tires just for the sake of doing it, but to have some more clearance, which I am going to lose with the drop.
What would be really cool is a Savvy 1.25 inch body lift, allowing you to do a tummy tuck.

Then add a 1 inch spring lift combined with, if need be, a 3/4inch puck on top of the springs to gain the clearance needed for a 31 inch or 31.5 inch tire.

What would be really cool is a Savvy 1.25 inch body lift, allowing you to do a tummy tuck.

Then add a 1 inch spring lift combined with, if need be, a 3/4inch puck on top of the springs to gain the clearance needed for a 31 inch or 31.5 inch tire.
Honestly this is the best budget build advice. Raising the skid 3”, 1.25” more tire clearance, and 1” more suspension travel will make 31”s extremely capable off road.

Reactions: Fouledplugs

Hey!

If I do a 2-2.5 inch spring lift, do I need to do a 1-1.25 inch body lift too to do a tummy tuck?

or is the spring lift enough?

If I could do it again. (My Wrangler came with 33's on it)
I would have chosen NOT to get 33's.
My axle shaft snapped ON ROAD due to a 33inch tire paired with 3.07gearing.
And finding a plain jane Dana 44 around me would have ended up costing almost the same as rebuilding my Dana 35 with 30spline shafts & a locker.
Here's when I snapped my axle shaft.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/why-you-should-super-your-dana-35-axle.26700/#post-431030
Also. My Wrangler had no lift at the time, with very minor rubbing on the front sway bar, on stock rims w/ 1.5in spacers.

You should check out "4WD action" on YouTube, one of the guys drives a truck with a 1in lift (i think) and 31in tires. And he throws that thing at all kinds of obstacles and it preforms amazing. Even when it doesn't. That's why you have a winch.

I'd go no larger than 31 with that engine.

If the frame and body and such are in good order, I tell u to swap in a diesel and dana 60s with an atlas between them, arb locked front and rear, 5 inch lift with 41 inchers, $3000 in lights with custom onboard air and a rooftop tent and shower with a cooler full of beverages with dip and ridged chips..... and call it a day.

Honestly this is the best budget build advice. Raising the skid 3”, 1.25” more tire clearance, and 1” more suspension travel will make 31”s extremely capable off road.
If I had a 4 cyl, this is exactly what I would do.

Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat

If the frame and body and such are in good order, I tell u to swap in a diesel and dana 60s with an atlas between them, arb locked front and rear, 5 inch lift with 41 inchers, $3000 in lights with custom onboard air and a rooftop tent and shower with a cooler full of beverages with dip and ridged chips..... and call it a day.
This is the dream 😂
I'd like to have two diesel wranglers built up this way.

Hey!

If I do a 2-2.5 inch spring lift, do I need to do a 1-1.25 inch body lift too to do a tummy tuck?

or is the spring lift enough?
For a tummy tuck you have to do a 1.25 inch body lift.
If you combine the 1.25 inch body lift with the 2.5 inch suspension lift, youll have too much room for 31’s. The 1.25 inch BL and 2.5 inch SL combination is ideal for 33’s.

Since you are wanting to stay on 31’s, a 1.25 inch body lift combined with a 1 inch H&R spring lift, would be perfect for a 31 inch tire and a tummy tuck.

Be aware you would need a SYE, a new driveshaft and adjustable links to alter the pinion angles.

Reactions: Lorenzo Altarocca

swap the dana 60s with the dana 80s and I am game