31 or 33" Tires?

31 or 33" Tires?

so needing to replace tires, currently have 31" so trying to decide to stay 31x10.5 or go to 33"
If I go to 33" do i stay with 10.5 or do 12.5 on the width?

my wheels are 15x8
View attachment 14937
aesthetically I like the look 31's over the larger sizes but thats just my opinion but if you stay with 31's, I think they look best with an aggressive tread. I really like the look of my Grabber AT2's. they look really good in person and pretty aggressive tread but very quiet and nice ride. I know Chris likes the Duratracs and they look great too and come highly recommended.

Reactions: UpperMI
I guess get what you can afford and like appearance wise. Everyone has their fav tire. Nice AT tire is good for all around use. Only thing I personaly would not get is an all season tire as they look lame on a jeep. Even some AT tires look too mild.

Last edited:
s-l500.jpg

Just ordered these 31x10.5x15 for $472 shipped

I vote sticking with 31's, you won't be creating all sorts of new issues that way. And look at the BFG All Terrains, I had a set of them and they lasted 60K miles and look pretty good too.

That's a pretty sweet lookin' tire. Be sure to post pics after install and, even more important, give your initial and, later, your longer-term impressions of how they perform for ya.

Just reviving this thread here. I have a 99 tj with a 4.5 inch lift. I live in Oregon and currently have 33x12.5x15 tires. Considering going to 10.5 instead so I can get better traction on wet roads since it does rain here quite a bit. Would the thread pattern matter much too. I want to stick with a BF all terrain or similar tire.

Reactions: dan lee
I went with BF Goodrich AT /33's on a stock rim 10.5 wide, I really like the look of a taller tire verses a wider tire

View attachment 15343
Man I sure do miss that 98 TJ Jeep, wish I would have kept it, I did upgrade to a 2004 Rubicon recently. Went with 265/75/16 BF Goodrich KO2's on this jeep, I personally dont care for the wider look!

unnamed22.jpg

Reactions: RMETeeJay
Man I sure do miss that 98 TJ Jeep, wish I would have kept it, I did upgrade to a 2004 Rubicon recently. Went with 265/75/16 BF Goodrich KO2's on this jeep, I personally dont care for the wider look!

View attachment 230335nice looking jeep. How did you like your ko2's? Mine right now are fine but definitely suck when i run over a puddle. Im not sure if it's because they are 12.5 wide or if its actually the tire that just can't handle water.

Seems like a bit of both but i would say more on the hydroplane side. I just know it never handled water so well.
Read the wiki on aquaplaning.
I’d consider an MT tire or an AT that doesn’t have as square a profile as the BFG’s do to help with the hydroplaning. Grip is based on rubber compound, road surface, water depth and contaminants. Not much you can do about those.

Read the wiki on aquaplaning.
I’d consider an MT tire or an AT that doesn’t have as square a profile as the BFG’s do to help with the hydroplaning. Grip is based on rubber compound, road surface, water depth and contaminants. Not much you can do about those.
Yea I had a feeling that the square like style played a role in it since it doesn't look like its any direct way for water to get through it even though they are AT. I guess I'm going to look for a different brand that can handle better. Im probably going to go with a 33x10.5x15 too instead of 12.5s