32RH in need of rebuild?

LHC30

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
This is a two part post.
1) we‘re talking an 01 4.0 TJ Sport, auto trans and 3:07 gears (if that Even matters), with 264K on the odometer. This rig is strictly a fairly stock rig for a MH tow behind. I rebuilt the motor due to a broken skirt on the #6 piston and the motor runs fine. The TC wouldn’t release at idle at first, but with two fluid changes and a dose of Seafoam trans cleaner, that problem stopped. There was a lot of grey metal in the fluid and on the magnet so I’m thinking it’s quite worn inside. It is still running and shifting well but last week the P0740 code showed up. Checked fluid and it’s ok, but showing bubbles on the stick 😳.
I’ve read several posts here and need to check the wiring on the TCC, but all things considered, I strongly suspect the right course of action is to rebuild it. Opinions please.

2) I have been looking for a shop to rebuild the trans here in Lake Havasu and cannot find a shop anyone would send their own trans to. I checked with Jasper and they no longer handle the 32RH! Are there any ideas for a reputable rebuilder here in AZ or So Cal? Thinking of doing it myself but have always stayed away from autos.
any help is appreciated.

The best transmission shop for all Jeep transmissions I'm aware of Ted is https://westminstertransmission.com/ in Orange County CA.

Joe was the best contact there when I contacted them a couple times hopefully he's still there. They do a lot of transmission prepping for KOH too.

And no doubt you've already checked its ATF level while the engine is running and the transmission in Neutral. Even being a little low can cause problems.

Good luck with it!