32RH Transmission Cable R&R?

LHC30

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Apparently my “Google-fu” is lacking. I am replacing the 32rh trans in my 01 and am a little nervous on just prying the cable ends off the trans levers.
is there some trick or is the Ford Method (brute force 😂) the way to go? I really don’t want to end up rep the whole cable (actually both shifter and TV).
thanks

Do you mean on the levers at the throttle body? The TV cable is the sort where if you pull it toward the driver side it will allow the peg to slide out. That's a TERRIBLE way to describe how it works, but it's the best I've got in a pinch. It should come off very easily though. It's like a keyway....the opening is sort of shaped like this: O-

where you put the peg into the O and then when it's under tension it will slide to the "-" and lock in place. To release it you have to remove the tension & slide it back to the O section where it will easily come out. There. That was a little better.

Sorry, no, the attachment to the trans for the shift cable only.

I looked again at the trans side of the TV cable and figured that one out 🤦‍♂️

image.jpg

IMG_0134.jpeg

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Ever find yourself embarrassed by your own (over) cautiousness? We’ll, this is one thread that is my example 🤦‍♂️

for those needing an answer to the primary question, simply take two screwdrivers or other suitable pry tools and pry the cable end at 180 degrees from each other and pop the end off the bracket. Doh!

i read somewhere in the recent past similar instructions that led me to understand one needed to pry the cable end apart to slide up and off the bracket. So I allowed myself to be misdirected.

• USA Proud
Reactions: Jerry Bransford