32RH TV cable tension

LittleTankTJ

TJ Euthanist
Lifetime Supporting Member
For anyone with a 32rh transmission, how tight is your throttle valve cable from the throttle to the transmission?

My understanding is that there should be no slack at no throttle. Even at max out adjustment my cable still had slack. I'm asking to see if I should go through the effort to replace the cable or not

TRANSMISSION THROTTLE VALVE CABLE ADJUSTMENT The transmission throttle valve is operated by a cam on the throttle lever. The throttle lever is operated by an adjustable cable (Fig. 177). The cable is attached to an arm mounted on the throttle lever shaft. A retaining clip at the engine-end of the cable is removed to provide for cable adjustment. The retaining clip is then installed back onto the throttle valve cable to lock in the adjustment. A correctly adjusted throttle valve cable will cause the throttle lever on the transmission to move simultaneously with the throttle body lever from the idle position. Proper adjustment will allow simultaneous movement without causing the transmission throttle lever to either move ahead of, or lag behind the lever on the throttle body

Adjustment starts on page #146
https://wranglertjforum.com/attachments/1997-jeep-wrangler-tj-factory-service-maniual-fsm-pdf.77148/

Reactions: TJRick
Did you get a new return spring? When i did my swap i purchased a new spring and they sent me 5 of them.

Did you get a new return spring? When i did my swap i purchased a new spring and they sent me 5 of them.
No, I bought a throttle return spring at Napa and made it work. If you have a spare I'd love to buy one.

What does that cable do? Second gear kickdown?
It essentially tells the transmission how much throttle you're giving it. That way it holds a gear longer or shifts correctly. For me because the valve wasn't fully closing I would get a "kick in the butt" if I accelerated hard and then let off the gas quickly. Such as when going stop sign to stop sign in a short block.