32s rubbing with OME lift, need opinions on route to take

Hoboscratch

Supporting Member
04 LJ owner here. I am in the process of installing my pieces together OME/Rancho lift, having purchased the 0-2” Ranchos. I have 32” BFGs and live in MN, so mostly street but I plan on doing wheeling trips too. Have friends in CO who want to meet up in the Black Hills next year, so I want to be ready for that.

I just finished my bump stop check for my shocks on the front and I had .25” to go before my shock bottomed out. I was thinking a couple washers would suffice there. However, I did the tire check and need .75” of bump stop to stop the tire from rubbing the seam where the flare meets the fender.

The rear was similar, except I hit full bump with an inch of shock travel to spare. Still around .75” needed to stop the tire, but the tire only rubbed on the flare, not any metal. Not planning on the relocation bracket.

My question is that it seems there are more than a few ways to solve the problem.

1) Switch to 31s. Expensive but maybe the most logical.
2) add bump stops, limiting uptravel by 1” - just feels disappointing
3) I have .75” coil spacers on hand - I could install those, return the front shocks and get the longer ones and be ok, right? I should be ok in the rear with .25” to spare
4) 1” body lift - concerned this will add a lot of work/mods

I dunno, could use a little insight here. In hindsight I should have just packaged something with Dirk instead of trying to save money by piecing it together myself.

Reactions: JMT
How much longer of a compressed length do the next longest pair of front shocks have?

Or add a small body lift.

Or add a couple cup washers to the bottom half of the upper shock bushing.

What would that do to your travel bias? The goal is to be close to a 50/50 split.

Truth be told I haven’t installed front springs to even get an idea of ride height. I hit pause when I started questioning the setup after the bump stop check. I have to rent spring compressors to get the fronts in, so won’t be able to answer that quite yet

I like the body lift idea if that isn't too tall for your liking. Easy to install and practical imo.

Reactions: Hoboscratch
This is just normal stuff. BL or spacer, but install the front springs first bc that will tell you more.

Reactions: Hoboscratch
Thanks guys, I’ll be working on it again this afternoon and will let you know more info as I get it.

Reactions: jjvw
You don't need spring compressors. Loosen the control arm and track bar bushings and disconnect the sway bar to allow the axle to drop further.
I do have sway bar and track bar disconnected, but didn’t loosen the control arms. Will give that a shot

Reactions: jjvw
So I’m a little confused with the recommendation, how does putting the new spring in help with bottoming out the tire in the fender when cycling the suspension? I get it won’t with the spring in usually, but the point is to test it without?

Slight tire rub by 1/2”, I’d set the bump to clear the shocks and add the BL 1/2” to give the tire space and call it a day.

So I’m a little confused with the recommendation, how does putting the new spring in help with bottoming out the tire in the fender when cycling the suspension? I get it won’t with the spring in usually, but the point is to test it without?

Slight tire rub by 1/2”, I’d set the bump to clear the shocks and add the BL 1/2” to give the tire space and call it a day.
He needs to figure out the ride height in order to determine the shock's travel bias to know if these are the best size shocks.

Exposed shaft length is 4.75-5”, depending on the side. Travel length is just under 8”. I do not have a winch or bumper yet but will be adding that over the winter, which should bring me down an inch. That should be just about perfect for the shocks I have, I believe.

I have the 2933 springs up front (80-190#). Outside of a couple shakedown street rides, the Jeep will be parked until spring.

Then I can add the BL over the winter too and I should be good to go

Please correct me if I’m wrong

I have an LJ with an OME lift and have just recently replaced the rear shocks and springs with heavier rated units. So I have some experience with OME lifts on an LJ.

If you can answer these questions, we'll go from there.

• What specific springs do you plan to run front and rear? OME has numerous '2" lift' springs.
  • What have you already added to your Jeep that would add significant weight?
  • What else do you plan to add that would add weight?
  • Will you be running a soft top or hardtop?
  • Do you carry significant weight in tools, recovery gear, spares, etc.? If so, where is that weight located in your Jeep?

I have an LJ with an OME lift and have just recently replaced the rear shocks and springs with heavier rated units. So I have some experience with OME lifts on an LJ.

If you can answer these questions, we'll go from there.

• What specific springs do you plan to run front and rear? OME has numerous '2" lift' springs.
  • What have you already added to your Jeep that would add significant weight?
  • What else do you plan to add that would add weight?
  • Will you be running a soft top or hardtop?
  • Do you carry significant weight in tools, recovery gear, spares, etc.? If so, where is that weight located in your Jeep?

No matter what, the ride height needs to be finalized. Only then will can the shocks be figured out. Until then, the best length shocks and bump stops are a moving target.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated. It’s one of those things that didn’t quite click until I got hands on with it.
Happy to help.

You're playing a chess game right now that can be a lot fun once you learn the moves.