Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Interco TrXus

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dick Cepek Extreme Country

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Milestar Patagonia

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters
First of all...I HATE mud. So I'm going to avoid it any chance I get and I'm not looking for a tire to be good in the mud. I'm looking for a tire that will do good on some wet rocks, on what mud I can't manage to avoid, and not drive me crazy with imbalance or noise on the highway to the trail. I've had KM2s before and they met those needs, and the general feedback I've read is that the KM3 is an improvement.

I realize I'm shopping for a "mud" tire but it will see pavement since all the wheeling spots will be 2+ hours away and my kids like to ride in the Jeep to go out for ice cream (though probably not in torrential rain, usually). I can handle what a tire throws at me as long as it's predictable, so maybe the wet weather traction shouldn't be a factor, but I'm gonna need a convincing reason to pay the price of 6 tires to only get 5. The same applies to the Falken, which for whatever reason is also 20% more expensive than everyone else. What justifies that? and why do they need an extra 10 pounds per tire to do the same job as BFG or Goodyear? Hell, Interco isn't known for lightweight tires but the TrXus you suggested is closer to the weight of a BFG or MTR than it is to a Falken.

I agree that there are a lot of similarities in the tires I posted. In fact, something that is really common but really turns me off is that almost everybody puts this weird rib right at the shoulder that seems like would ruin the efficacy of having any traction features on the sidewall to begin with, and to my eye basically makes it look like it's only pretending to be aggressive. BFG, Falken Interco, and and one Maxxis model (the Trepador) are the only ones that have a single lug that actually wraps around from the tread surface onto the sidewall. It may be silly, but with 100% honesty it's the reason I haven't already pulled the trigger on some STT Pros.
That's why I suggested the Trxus to you....
Remember I sell these...I hear what customers are looking for and advise.

Notice I didn't suggest any of the traditional swampers. They won't be as pavement friendly that you're seeking but the Trxus is...it's quiet for a "MT" and will perform just as good on road as any from your list. Even better than any from your list off road.

I've no vested interest in your decision. Just telling you what I know from experience of messing with all these tires.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Mickey Thompson Mall Crawlers???? I have always had good luck with MT's offroad and so have many I know. I just put the Baja Boss on my TJ but havevnt had a chance to run them yet.
Same here. I've run two sets of ATZ P3s on TJs and I'm running the MTZ P3 on my LJ. I've run multiple tires, KO2, KM2, MT/R, Duratracs, and more. The MTZ is my clear favorite.

Same here. I've run two sets of ATZ P3s on TJs and I'm running the MTZ P3 on my LJ. I've run multiple tires, KO2, KM2, MT/R, Duratracs, and more. The MTZ is my clear favorite.

MTZ is a great tire. I used to run them on a lifted F-250. I almost went with them but the Baja Boss is the "newer" technology so figured I would give them a shot.

MTZ is also made in the USA if that is something you must have.

I have the yoko mts on my ram 2500. I've been very impressed with them. We did ~800miles dirt roads (nm to Breckenridge) and they did great slow in rocky sections, and fast on graded dirt. No chunking even after I tried to find my bump stops and a few all 4 wheels in the air launches. They have worn well and I have been pleased with their wet/snow performance. They slip as much as my old toyo atIIs around town in the winter. With common sense in weather, you'll be fine. For my jeep, it's between the yoko mt and the nitto mt. For what I will do, the lighter yoko mts will be fine.

Mickey Thompson Mall Crawlers???? I have always had good luck with MT's offroad and so have many I know. I just put the Baja Boss on my TJ but havevnt had a chance to run them yet.

I just see them a lot on JKs with sparkling clean undercarriages and 8" lifted full size crew cab pickups with 20"+ "rims". That doesn't say anything about their quality or capability. I have no idea why they're popular with that crowd.

I actually parked next to a JKU with Baja boss 35s tonight. They looked good, but the clean, black, unscarred sidewalls gave away that they've never been off pavement.

Reactions: Tldelaney
To be fair, if you saw my truck most of the time, the yokohama sidewalls are clean with a tire dressing, and no visible scuffs. If you aren't looking, you'd miss the kings and deavers on the truck. I know genright is pushing the baja boss on social media now.

Just in case anyone is wondering what inventory looks like right now on 35x12.50x15 tires through my national warehouse. The red numbers are current inventory, and it's looked like this for weeks. A few will trickle in here and there, but they're gone very quickly. Just be patient with your tire dealers.

ATD.PNG

The KM3 is a horrible rock crawling tire. I just removed a set with 60-70% life left because they sucked so bad in JV. I got MTR’s and only have one trip on them so far. Very impressed.

Out of your choices, I would go with the Cooper. I had 35 X 12.5 X 15 on mine before changing to 37's (now GY MTR). They handled very well on the trail and street.

My only complaint was that they run small, at least in the 15". Not sure about the KM3, but the KM2 were some of the smallest 35's (or 37's) I've seen.

Out of your choices, I would go with the Cooper. I had 35 X 12.5 X 15 on mine before changing to 37's (now GY MTR). They handled very well on the trail and street.

My only complaint was that they run small, at least in the 15". Not sure about the KM3, but the KM2 were some of the smallest 35's (or 37's) I've seen.

I'm starting to lean in that direction. I'd say at this point it's narrowed down to the STT Pro, the Baja Boss, or waiting for KM3s..that is assuming the Coopers or the Mickeys are any more available.

I'm starting to lean in that direction. I'd say at this point it's narrowed down to the STT Pro, the Baja Boss, or waiting for KM3s..that is assuming the Coopers or the Mickeys are any more available.

cooper owns mickeys and make Some of their tires at the same factories. They also own Dick cepek

I used to run Swamper's and always got around 40k miles out of them. They performed flawlessly in every situation.

The only reason I no longer run them is because Interco has gotten very proud of their tires, and I'm not paying 385.00 per tire.

I'm currently running M/T Baja MTZ-P3 and had Cooper ST-MAXX prior to the M/T.

My main issue with Cooper/Mickey Thompson is that they're not consistant in their tire manufacturing process.

When I put the ST-MAXX tires on my jeep, I went through several sets before I had five that would balance out without taking a ton of weight and peg the RoadForce. I'm talking over 17oz. per tire.

The Mickey Thompsons were even worse. I think I went through 5 sets before I got a set that took less than 5-7oz. each to balance out.

• Wow
Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I went ahead and ordered a set of STT Pros. Had to get 3 out of California and 2 out of Massachusetts and they'll probably show up on different days but I should have them sometime next week.

Reactions: JMT and suicideking
Why is the Goodyear MT/R not a part of the poll options?

'cause it's 5 for the price of 6 and there wasn't really anything I could find to justify that for me.

1621362545648.jpg

1621362568568.jpg

I did for a moment think I'd completely overlooked the Toyo Open Country MT, but I looked again and it was because their 35 is 13.5", not 12.5". They'd probably have been a contender if I was looking at 33s because they actually make a 33x10.5.

Reactions: Tldelaney and Chris
'cause it's 5 for the price of 6 and there wasn't really anything I could find to justify that for me.

View attachment 253273

View attachment 253274

I did for a moment think I'd completely overlooked the Toyo Open Country MT, but I looked again and it was because their 35 is 13.5", not 12.5". They'd probably have been a contender if I was looking at 33s because they actually make a 33x10.5.

They ain't cheap, but my understanding is they are nice tires! I get it though.

• Haha