37 or 38 inch tires?

Hfc26

Just had 4:88 installed,small lift,and 33 inch tires.....changed my mind and I wanna go bigger. What would be the best route for a 37 inch or 38 tire to fit?!?!

IMG_20220321_185518.jpg

There are no axles that Jeep ever installed under a Wrangler TJ that are strong enough for even 37's, let alone 38's. They're good for 35's no matter what you do to them. Really. Unless it's only used on Sundays for trips to the mall.

You’ve got bigger problems, like axles 😆

But if axles aren’t the limiting factors, why wouldn’t you go with the larger tire?

Highline the fenders, get wider axles. If you don’t wanna spend another 10-15k+ to make it work, do what Jerry said and get a nice set of 35s.

New Axles New Lift and New Big Brake Kit. Also might want to change the gearing again to get the most out of your build. I pondered this question years ago.

There are no axles that Jeep ever installed under a Wrangler TJ that are strong enough for even 37's, let alone 38's. They're good for 35's no matter what you do to them. Really. Unless it's only used on Sundays for trips to the mall.
I just go in a little bit of mud and ride on the beach. I'm not a serious offroad enthusiast yet it's pretty much a pavement princess so far.

I just go in a little bit of mud and ride on the beach. I'm not a serious offroad enthusiast yet it's pretty much a pavement princess so far.

For beach running you want a wider tire so it'll float on top plus you want a tire that isn't as aggressive so more like a All Terrain type tire. And then for mud it depend on how deep it is. If it's not real deep then a narrower tire to cut thru to the hard pan below but if it's deep then a wider tire so it might float.

And as Jerry said you need the power to clean the tire when in mud and more power can help in sand too. I'd get out and just enjoy your Jeep the way it's setup now and then read some more and then read more and watch and learn before spending any more money on your Jeep. For mud or sand a winch is almost a MUST for recovery. Add good solid tow points to the front and rear and have recovery gear so you can self extract if you get stuck.

Reactions: Tob
If you wanna play in the mud, you are going to have to pay. My 74 Bronco mud racer had 8" of lift, 38" to 40" tires, a spooled 9" rear and a spooled 60 front. 351 Windsor putting right at 475 hp to the wheels.

All it was good for was mud racing, I didn't care about flex or travel just straight runs. Lost my wallet and my shirt when I sold it!!!!!!

I am no expert,just here to learn. I'm new to jeeps period. Maybe I will drop another 10-15 in it. Thanks Chris and lj for your expertise.
I’m not saying don’t do it, I’m just saying if you want to put 37s on that thing and do it right, you’re gonna spend upwards of 30k realistically. Not saying it can’t be done cheaper, but it still won’t be cheap. 35s would be another story.

Reactions: L J and Wildman
I’m not saying don’t do it, I’m just saying if you want to put 37s on that thing and do it right, you’re gonna spend upwards of 30k realistically. Not saying it can’t be done cheaper, but it still won’t be cheap. 35s would be another story.
a still not cheap story ...