3rd Brake Light and 33" Spare

Thumper4fun

TJ Enthusiast
What modifications are needed to the 3rd Brake light in order to accommodate a 33" spare? Bracket extension, wiring extension, etc.?

You'll need to raise the entire 3rd brake light assembly, which is fairly easy. I've used 1" PVC pipe cut into four pieces of about 2" in length. You'll need longer bolts. The wiring should be long enough that it won't need to be extended.

There are brackets you can buy to do the same thing, but this will get you the same result for significantly less money.

You'll need to raise the entire 3rd brake light assembly, which is fairly easy. I've used 1" PVC pipe cut into four pieces of about 2" in length. You'll need longer bolts. The wiring should be long enough that it won't need to be extended.

There are brackets you can buy to do the same thing, but this will get you the same result for significantly less money.

I did the same, but used pieces of 3/4" plastic conduit. I also pulled all the slack out of the wiring harness that was inside the tailgate. Easy peasy