3rd bulb in tail light housing stock?

rdonahe

I'm starting on my LED tails conversion and ran across an extra bulb in both of my tail light housings that does not look stock. Has anyone seen anything like this?

It does not light up in any combination I have tested and the wiring does not look factory. Oddly the two unidentified lights only seem to be wired to each other with a single wire that runs from one side to the other. Doesn't make sense to me.

The sheath for the factory tail wiring has been sliced on both sides to insert the red wire you see coming in from the bottom of the housing.

Any thoughts? I'm figuring this was something added by a previous owner and I'll just pull out the odd wire but figured I would check here first.

Thanks,
-Roger

Jeep_tail_light.jpg

It’s definitely not stock to any TJ I’ve ever seen. Definitely interested it what the intent was…

Thanks @ExitLeft ! I bet that's it. Last night after posting I was thinking about it and the wires leading from each mystery bulb meet up at a connector that was routed up into the driver's side rear of the tub through the factory wiring harness grommet. Nothing is connected to them at the moment but it's entirely possible wiring was routed from the front of the jeep to light them up in a flat towing situation.