3rd quarter Gladiator sales (16,132 units)

The Gladiator just seems too long to me. It should have come out with a diesel engine, a Rubicon drive train, and a 2 to 3" lift and bigger tires as standard gear to set it apart from other trucks and Jeeps.

My father in laws Ford F150 truck is 4 door 4x4, looks better proportioned, and gets 20 mpg in town and 25 mpg on the highway. It's on the lower end of towing for a full sized truck and can out tow the Gladiator while costing much less money.

It's on the lower end of towing for a full sized truck and can out tow the Gladiator while costing much less money.
Not exactly a fair comparison...But I will play, The F150 base model may cost less, but do the doors comes off? Does the top come off? Does it come with the beefy Dana 44 axle rear? Does it even come with a straight axle front, much less a new gen Dana 44 front axle? Does it offer a 4:1 transfer case or better?

Its funny but i have seen more at the dealership then i have seen on the road. Just like the JK and JL they seem to be just sitting around. Most dealers around me have so many jeeps the store them in 2 or 3 different places.

With the price tag they have put on them they are going to be a novelty.
You see so many JK's and JL's on dealer lots because they sell them like crazy. Hence the reason why you see so many on the road almost everyday, all day.

The way the sales of the JKU had skyrocketed from the standard CJ, YJ, TJ market I think FCA thought they could build anything "Jeep" at any price and us fools would rush in, wallets open.
Did you just compare the price of 1988 Jeep Wrangler to a 2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU? Nice, makes total sense.

Now they won't even special order you a base model.
Come on, you are being dramatic. Total lie.

Not exactly a fair comparison...But I will play, The F150 base model may cost less, but do the doors comes off? Does the top come off? Does it come with the beefy Dana 44 axle rear? Does it even come with a straight axle front, much less a new gen Dana 44 front axle? Does it offer a 4:1 transfer case or better?

The majority of people don't know or care. They look for a truck and compare it to other trucks. That's how sales can slump.

It's not a better truck or a better Jeep. It just costs more. it's in a small truck category with big truck pricing.

For the price, buy an F250 diesel and get better mileage and price. Or buy a JK and a trailer to get a better off road vehicle and haul the same cargo.

To make it different they should have made it really stand out type different. Like I said the base model should be Rubicon drive train, 2" lift, 32 inch tires, diesel engine, big brakes, integrated tow brake controller, etc. Stuff you can't get in a Ranger or Colorado or the bigger trucks.

All the Gladiators I've seen look like they'd high center somewhere on a trail and owners are tossing off parts from their expensive new purchases. I can buy a full 2019 Rubicon Gladiator suspension on our local Jeep buy/sell site.

Reactions: derekmac
The majority of people don't know or care. They look for a truck and compare it to other trucks. That's how sales can slump.

It's not a better truck or a better Jeep. It just costs more. it's in a small truck category with big truck pricing.

For the price, buy an F250 diesel and get better mileage and price. Or buy a JK and a trailer to get a better off road vehicle and haul the same cargo.

To make it different they should have made it really stand out type different. Like I said the base model should be Rubicon drive train, 2" lift, 32 inch tires, diesel engine, big brakes, integrated tow brake controller, etc. Stuff you can't get in a Ranger or Colorado or the bigger trucks.

All the Gladiators I've seen look like they'd high center somewhere on a trail and owners are tossing off parts from their expensive new purchases. I can buy a full 2019 Rubicon Gladiator suspension on our local Jeep buy/sell site.
This is pretty accurate.

The JLU is marginally powered , and rather than a bigger engine , they gave it an 8 speed auto to keep the v6 in its best power range . A turbo 4cyl is funny.

FCA is simply not listening to the market, wrangler owners want more power , and putting the same v6 in a bigger vehicle was not a smart move. .
And the now too small and choked up diesel isn’t going to be stellar either .

It’s time for a small V8 Chrysler , wake up . The arrogance that went with the Gladiator launch was ridiculous , and sales prove it . The off road and truck world wants performance .

The best horsepower to weight Jeep offers is the 285 hp 3.6 in the 2 door...that’s a winner .

If the price didn’t feel so exorbitant, I’d consider a gladiator. But what it’s at I think I’d go for a taco still. Hell, I’d consider a full size truck too.

Though I’m not a “new car buyer” type - I’ll probably always be in the used market since buying a depreciating “asset” doesn’t always add up for me.

I've actually been looking into new ones, so I can answer for this.

F150s with smaller engines come with the Ford 8.8 rear, which is similar in strength to a Dana 44, maybe slightly stronger with larger shafts and gears. Many packages, like some towing/payload packages or upgraded engines give you the Ford 9.75 rear, which is often considered to be on the same level as a Dana 60 semi-float rear. Both the 8.8 and 9.75 rears are c-clip axles.

The 2wd and 4wd front suspension is always IFS, like most other trucks in it's class. Not as good at rock crawling, but generally gives significantly improved ride quality. The front axle on f150s is always an 8.8 with CVs for 4WD models.

The transfer cases for 4WD models are made by Borg Warner and has a 2.69 low ratio. You won't find a 4:1 package for the f150. However, the 10 speed automatic comes with a 4.69:1 1st gear. Compared to the 42RLE 1st at 2.84:1 and a 4:1 case, that is deeper overall. The modern Chrysler 8 speed has a 4.71 1st, so a Gladiator will outperform there.

Modern F150s offer gear ratios of 3.15, 3.31, 3.55, and 3.73. You can usually order the deepest ratios independently of the packages in which they are normally included.

The f150 also offers a rear locking axle for not all that much money. The whole FX4 package, which includes the locker, skid plates, different shocks, etc is less than $1,000. The locker can be ordered on any non-FX4 f150, even 2WD models. The locker can be engaged in all transfer case positions on 4WD models (2WD models have no transfer case).

Lariat trims and above also come with an extra transfer case position called 4A, or automatic 4WD. This function uses clutches in the transfer case to send power to the front/rear axles without mechanically locking the transfer case. The system varies clutch pressure based upon detected wheel slippage. Ford says it can be run in any condition, including dry pavement. Supposedly it works better on snow and ice because the front wheels aren't forced to slip relative to the rear wheels.

Front lockers are not available from the factory for the f150, but are available aftermarket, along with upgraded shafts and other components. Suspension lift kits in excess of 6 inches are relatively common, which generally accommodate 37 inch tires.

In my search for what is out there, I did price out my ideal F150 versus an ideal JT Rubicon. The f150 came significantly cheaper and had way more options that I wanted. The biggest draw for me is that the F150 comes in a 4 door (6 seats) with an 8 foot bed, something no other half-ton can do. The JT doesn't even offer a 6.5 foot bed.
Biggest disadvantage was no front locker, but that could easily be added aftermarket.

The F150 comes with six different engine options: 2 naturally aspirated gasoline engines (3.3L V6 and 5.0L V8), 3 turbocharged gasoline engines (2.7L V6 EcoBoost, 3.5L Ecoboost, and 3.5L EcoBoost HO), and one turbocharged diesel among (3.0L Powerstroke). The 5.0, offered on all trims except Raptor, has 395 horsepower. (The 3.5L HO offered on Raptor and Limited has 450 horsepower.) Compare that to the JT which only has one engine option (3.6L V6) with 285 horsepower, which is less than even the weakest engine on the f150 (3.3L V6).

Then there's also the Raptor, which comes with 450 horsepower stock, 13-14 inches of suspension travel, 34 inch tires, and a whole lot of other options. I can't reasonably afford a Raptor though.

Then there's the payload and towing on the F150. With the payload package, F150 payload capacities can go as high as 3,270 lbs. The combination I want would probably be about 3,000 lbs capacity. Maximum payload on a JT is 1,600 lbs with the correct options. A JT Rubicon is only 1,200 lbs. A correctly optioned JT can tow 7,650 lbs, but a correctly optioned F150 can tow 13,200 lbs.

For me, there's just no comparison. For less money, I get much more space in the cabin and bed, capable 4WD, significantly more payload and towing, 110 additional horsepower, the equivalent of a Dana 60 rear, and a whole host of other features. Perhaps I lose the ability to take off the doors and roof, but I already have a TJ. Plus, how many people actually take the time to take a hardtop off the JT?

I think a better comparison would be to a Ford Ranger, as it's a smaller truck in the same class as the JT. However, I'm not quite as familiar with the options and packages that come with the Ranger.

Last edited:
I think a better comparison would be to a Ford Ranger, as it's a smaller truck in the same class as the JT. However, I'm not quite as familiar with the options and packages that come with the Ranger
The Ford Ranger is the Jeep JT competitor. Pretty cool to see folks glazing over the Ranger and jumping up to compare the JT with the 1/2 ton F-150, that kind of says a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steel City 06
July, August and September sales total 16, 132 units , with a little over 23,000 sold to date .

This is a far cry from the Tacoma . It sells roughly 4-5 times more units monthly, but it is a very established product with a loyal following...,and it didn’t get there overnight. The JLU, incidentally , sells in similar numbers to the Tacoma .

I can’t help but think the Gladiator attracts some 4 door wrangler customers and is seen as a potential “Super Wrangler “...in full battle dress it looks good.

It fares well with the rest of the category , as the competition in the mid size category isn’t that exciting.. ,I’m not saying it’s bad...there is just nothing like the Gladiator...in mid size or any category.

Will it stay in production long? Will it go down in history like other “I remember those” Jeep trucks...

Will sales increase?

I felt all along it wasn’t going to be the hit it was hyped to be , and really disagreed with some statements FCA was making ...in hindsight , I think what irked me was I just didnt think it was marketed right - it should have been shown on the trail with 9 or 10 wranglers and competitors with someone asking...hey , who’s got the food, drinks and tents ....Bill does, and here comes Bill in a big bad Gladiator with all the essentials for the big bonfire gathering as the commercial fades.

Of course I’m the same guy who as a teenager had no idea how people as dumb as my parents could have a kid as smart as me.
$1,150,000,000 based on sales of 23,000 units at a conservative price of 50,000 per unit seems significant but I know next to nothing about big business dollars other than the "gimme me more" premise.

The Ford Ranger is the Jeep JT competitor. Pretty cool to see folks glazing over the Ranger and jumping up to compare the JT with the 1/2 ton F-150, that kind of says a lot.
I agree. The next best comparison, at least for a JT Rubicon, would be the Ford Raptor. Base Raptors go for 50k plus, which isn’t much more than a base JTR. Not really practical trucks for work or for commuting, but moreso for recreation.

Although I would say it is worth comparing to an F150 due to the higher cost of the smaller truck. Heck, even a dually can be had for 35k new

To be really fair about it the Gladiator is absolutely a specialty vehicle.

Is it a failure... No not at all.

I think essentially it made it to the market without being everything it was capable of being... They are capable of making a vehicle that would make people throw rocks and other things to have one.

order to capture market shares and be dominant it has to be more sought-after and its competition... Which means it has to go beyond just the next concept from Jeep.

Eh, not my problem, just talking about market stuff and what could be affecting sales.

If I want to seriously go off road, I won't buy a Gladiator to do it. I'll buy an older Jeep and have it modified with capable off road parts for the price. Because I'd have to add all the same parts to a base Gladiator to make it more capable off road and it still likely wouldn't do as well as the old Jeep based on it's geometry.

If I want a truck, I'll buy the F150 because it competes pricewise with even the Ford Ranger. That's why I see many more F150s on the road then Rangers. Because once you start adding the options to make it a little more capable, you can buy the bigger version, get roughly the same gas mileage and way more capability for the same price.

Like I said, beef up the base model a little to make it a cheaper Ford Raptor and have stuff the Ranger doesn't.

The Wrangler model is different in that there really aren't that many competitors in that price range. It's like the poor man's Land Rover. :ROFLMAO:

Did you just compare the price of 1988 Jeep Wrangler to a 2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU? Nice, makes total sense.

Come on, you are being dramatic. Total lie.
No. Comparing a 1988 model in 1988 to a 2020 model in 2020.
I thought people would understand how time works.

And no. Not a lie. Neighbor ordered a base Tacoma in 1996. Took 2 years to show up. Gave it to his son this spring for 18th birthday. Thought about getting a new one. 2 different dealers said they would not special order anything with that little profit for them. So that makes YOU the liar. Careful of your words. Some people still take them seriously.

Just last night local news claimed the new Gladiators are being sold up to $20,000 over MSRP. Seems some folks would buy them new and turn around and sell them way over what they paid the dealer so the dealer wants all that extra cheese for themselves. Sucks for the guy that actually wanted to buy and keep one.

(Edit) Same news report suggests that the big 3 are very close to removing a V8 option from all their (implied US market) vehicles. A combination of EPA pressure, eco perception of the consumer, and this new wave of cities and states (California leading the way) mandating restrictions on anything not battery powered on their roads.)
London has enacted such laws already. Taxing any vehicle of specific emissions levels to certain hours and lanes in the city. Ireland is in the process of something similar.
How this will effect folks getting their morning tea or a banana could get interesting. When people think a 16 year old Swedish girl has the answers it makes common sense a thing of the past.

Last edited:
I still cant believe that with the aftermarket shoving hemi's into all the newer jeeps that the manufacturer hasn't jumped on board.

Even as a 5K option most would opt for it. The idea of a vehicle sized and weighted as any of the post 4.0 jeeps are only being equipped with a v6 is laughable, shove a 5.7 in it and watch the sales come in. With the 5.7 I would consider the Glad in lieu of my f-150 just to have a convertible truck.

I accept the 4.0 in my TJ because I understand its limitations and I dont expect it to do 85 on the highway for 500 miles (unless its flat towed behind my f-150), as it is a great powerplant for what the TJ is built around.

For the newer "nicer" jeeps, especially at that price range I absolutely expect to cruise at 85 with enough additional power to pass when needed.

Reactions: Fouledplugs

(Edit) Same news report suggests that the big 3 are very close to removing a V8 option from all their (implied US market) vehicles. A combination of EPA pressure, eco perception of the consumer, and this new wave of cities and states (California leading the way) mandating restrictions on anything not battery powered on their roads.)
London has enacted such laws already. Taxing any vehicle of specific emissions levels to certain hours and lanes in the city. Ireland is in the process of something similar.
How this will effect folks getting their morning tea or a banana could get interesting. When people think a 16 year old Swedish girl has the answers it makes common sense a thing of the past.

I'll admit that I had this in the back of my mind when looking at buying a used Jeep. What happens if they decide gas needs to be taxed an extra $4/gallon, or they just start banning certain cars from the roads.

But then I remembered my Toyota was getting similar gas mileage around town and almost everyone driving would suffer the same fate if they cut off gas and gas vehicles. The political will won't be there for at least another decade or two because the negative policies would disproportionately affect the poor. They tend to drive the oldest technology due to cost of entry and pay for it with extra gas over time.

Not to mention the middle class soccer mom running kids around. They move too fast and it will blow up in their faces.

As technology advances, I could retrofit a TJ with a small turbo diesel plug in hybrid setup. Especially since Jeep will be offering that package in 2020.

I agree. The next best comparison, at least for a JT Rubicon, would be the Ford Raptor.
It would be any optioned out 1/4 truck actually. Apples to apples.

These three compete in the same class:
Toyota Tacoma 4WD
Chevy Colorado 4WD
Ford Ranger 4WD
Jeep Gladiator

By comparing anything else, you are putting a lightweight in the ring with a middleweight/heavyweight. Doesn't happen.

Reactions: Steel City 06