4.0 swap for 2.4

03wranglerwrecker

just recently threw a rod in my 2003 Wrangler TJ 2.4 engine, and of course after I get it replaced the mechanic mentions that we could have replace the 2.4 with a 4.0 he has told me that there is a jeep liberty 4.0 that has identical bolt on with transmission, clutch, electrical and fluids can someone confirm this or give the real info on this thanks in advance

The Jeep Liberty never came with a 4.0.

I'm assuming he was talking about a Jeep Cherokee XJ? If that's the case, the 4.0 will fit, but not without some modifications as @UPJOHN found out with the 4.0 XJ engine he helped his son swap into his TJ.

See this thread here:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/xj-4-0-into-tj-hardest-engine-swap-ever.16770/
So yes, it fits, but no, it's not as simple as just bolting it in and driving.

Also, since yours is a 4 cylinder, you'll need to have the engine mount brackets cut off and have new ones for the 4.0 welded on.

Most would tell you (and I would agree) that it's easier to just sell yours and buy one with a 4.0 already in it.

Reactions: KCsTJ
thank you for the speedy reply and you are probably right about selling and rebuying was just hoping, the big issue is I got this jeep from that Carolinas and the frame is literally rust free I have already installed the slip yoke, (running 32S) re geared both diffs and with the new 2.4 I just went ahead and got a new HD clutch the only thing Im missing is new floor mats and a new air freshener hehe

Reactions: 31ster and Chris
I gotcha. Rust free TJs can be harder to find in those parts. It's not like out here on the West Coast where we are spoiled with rust free TJs all over.

Anyways, the swap can be done, it's just more work than you'd think, that's all. If I was going to the effort of swapping in a 4.0, I'd probably just swap in an LS or something else at that point.

yea that could be my next occupation Im actually form OH and had to go to NC to get mine, but bringing rust free jeeps to OH from out west could be a good hobby and I have never really ran into any jeep owners that don't swear by installing the slip yoke if your running larger tires on any late models and hard to get your money back on that when your selling a late model. the main reason for all this is wife and I are planning a bit of full time RVing and was going to sell the jeep to by a camper but we both love the jeep so much, we were gonna put her to work pulling a small RV and keep it, was watching Big Toes Video on his escalade swap heh not sure I want a V8

Im not sure but what is an LS ?

A Chevy V8 engine. Those are probably the most popular swaps for TJs, followed by Hemi V8s.

yea that could be my next occupation Im actually form OH and had to go to NC to get mine, but bringing rust free jeeps to OH from out west could be a good hobby and I have never really ran into any jeep owners that don't swear by installing the slip yoke if your running larger tires on any late models and hard to get your money back on that when your selling a late model. the main reason for all this is wife and I are planning a bit of full time RVing and was going to sell the jeep to by a camper but we both love the jeep so much, we were gonna put her to work pulling a small RV and keep it, was watching Big Toes Video on his escalade swap heh not sure I want a V8

Jeeps are a lot of fun. I think the ultimate fun could be had by towing the Jeep behind an RV across country and stopping at places like Moab and other off-road spots. You could unhitch the Jeep, camp in the RV, and take the Jeep out and explore the trails. Sounds like one hell of a life to me. It probably wouldn't be cheap though!

Buy the new 4.0 Jeep and you can swap over your updated axles, transfer, et all. You lose the rust free part, but get to go on all sorts of adventures looking for a new one.😁 All sorts of fun for you and your blood pressure medication. But you can also get any options you wished you had now. A/C, hard top, Rubicon, LJ, ... even a new color. I know this isn't what you want, but it could be fun. Also, up here in NY the prices are highest Spring and Summer. They drop with the temperature. Hope this helps a little bit.🐐