4.0L oil consumption

ATTolan

IMG_2052.JPG
My 05 TJ Rubicon has been using 2 quarts to a quart and a half every 3000 miles with it being winter in Iowa I've been running 5w30 jeep and just switched back to 10w30 today. It only has 103,xxx miles no burning out the pipe or anything noticeable leaking either. I know some vehicles have oil consumption specifications does anyone know them off hand? Came up empty on my Google Search.
Thanks guys

Reactions: Travis
Neither of my TJs consumed any oil between oil changes. My previous TJ had 192k miles on it the last time I saw it and my present TJ has something like 90k miles on it.

My 2003 doesn't use any oil between changes either.
It might be burning it at a slow enough rate you're not seeing it. I had an old Mazda 626 with a billion miles on it, it ate oil by it passing by the valve guides. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: kdawgg11
Hmm I'll have to wait and see if the thicker oil helps or if there is something internally going on thanks guys!
5W-30 and 10W-30 have the exact same 30 viscosity when the oil is warm. The 5W and 10W numbers are only its thinner viscosity when the oil is cold, it thickens to 30 when it warms up. The lower viscosity for when the oil is cold helps it flow better/faster when a heavier viscosity would flow too slowly.

Last edited:
No oil consumption with my 2005 4.0 but did have a Subaru using 2-3 quarts between oil changes, it was never an issue though.

Reactions: ATTolan
5W-30 and 10W-30 have the exact same 30 viscosity when the oil is warm. The 5W and 10W numbers are only its thinner viscosity when the oil is cold, it thickens to 30 when it warms up. The lower viscosity for when the oil is cold helps it flow better/faster when a heavier viscosity would flow too slowly.
Yeah duh I totally spaced that off. Thanks!