4.56 or 4.88 gears?

My preference is for any that use a potentiometer to adjust the speedometer. I despise the correction factor bullshit and refuse to use it if at all possible.
Understood. I guess my experience with variable pots is that they tend to drift due to temperature and vibration etc. That being said, there very well may be a potentiometer inside the speedohealer that you cant even see.

Got it.

To be honest I'm not sure why they didn't intercept the signal where the factory harness plugs into the speedo cluster instead of under the vehicle.

The pcm uses the speed signal for other things, and then communicates it to the cluster digitally, so there's not really a good way to intercept and change it there. It's gotta be between the sensor and the pcm.

Reactions: bitbyte
Fair enough. Then at the PCM instead of at the transfer case. Same principle.
Exactly. That's what both of the mentioned solutions do. Sounds like Blaine prefers to turn a knob until the speedometer reads correctly, the speedo healer does some math in between to adjust it by a percentage.

I don't know what the signal format is; I always figured it was some sort of frequency or pulse width modulation but if a simple potentiometer works then it would have to be a scaled voltage. Unless the potentiometer solutions Blaine mentions are not literally just a potentiometer but an adjustment knob that shifts the modulation.

I've spent the last two hours trying to wrap my mind around some of the concepts discussed in this thread. Somehow this has turned into some high level math and engineering. It certainly has my brain feeling like it needs a nap. Probably because of my "calculations" the convo has taken a turn into the weeds of engineering, physics, and math that I for one can't figure out and has me feeling dumb too. :LOL: Which brings up another point, the educated and experienced engineers did a lot of calculations and work to design a jeep a certain way, I don't think that even they had all the "right" answers. Interestingly though if you run the numbers on gearing vs tire size for a stock tj (I think it is 30" tires and 4.10 gears?) and then for 33s and 4.56, it is almost exactly the same ratio as stock. Meaning it would get drive shaft, transmission, and motor speeds, relative to vehicle speed, right where the eggheads at Jeep put them. But loads of people like their jeep better geared lower and the entire aftermarket industry is there to "improve" stock designs. So who knows?! :ROFLMAO:
The Jeep engineers (with all their high level math and engineering) also used the same axle gears for the 6 speed manual and the 4 speed auto. 0.84 OD vs .69 OD. 😉

42rle / 29.5" /3.73 = 2052rpm @ 70mph
NV3550/29.5"/3.73 = 2320rpm @ 70mph (nearly 300rpm higher than the 42rle)
AX-15 / 29.5" /3.73 = 2349rpm @ 70mph (nearly 300rpm higher than the 42rle)
NSG370/29.5"/3.73 = 2498rpm @ 70mph (over 400rpm higher than the 42rle)
32rh / 29.5" / 3.73 = 2974rpm @ 70mph (nearly 900rpms higher than the 42rle)

Reactions: Shawn at Tom Wood's
Stock rubi lockers to something aftermarket that doesn’t require thick gears since as far as I’m aware, there is no thick cut 44 5.89 R&P….for the TJ anyways.
The only 5.89 gears for a Dana 44 I have ever seen are from Dana. And the last time I asked about them, they didn't work on an ARB rd116 which uses regular cut gears. I forget the reason.

The only 5.89 gears for a Dana 44 I have ever seen are from Dana. And the last time I asked about them, they didn't work on an ARB rd116 which uses regular cut gears. I forget the reason.
Not sure why that would be. Revolution has a listing for “Dana 44” from 3.55-5.89 and lists a ton of vehicles. XJ/TJ are on there.

So as long as you go to an Eaton or other standard locker (I guess not ARB unless that info was incorrect), then I can’t possibly think of why you couldn’t gear a TJ Rubi to 5.89 after ditching the stock lockers since they use the same LP gearset f/r. Unless I’m missing something but I don’t see what I’d be missing here since Revolution lists the TJ.

5.89 Revolution Dana 44 Gears

Reactions: jjvw
anybody using this calculator remember you need to use ACTUAL tire diameter, not the nominal size on the sidewall, to get an accurate result.

My favorite way of doing this is to use the revolutions/mile published by the manufacturer, because I'm usually doing this kind of thing at my desk and it's quicker than going out to the garage with a tape measure and trying to get an accurate measurement of the center of my hub.

Rolling Diameter = (5280*12)/(pi*revolutions per mile)

Most 35's are in the neighborhood of 602 revs/mile which comes out to an effective rolling diameter of 33.5. With 4.88's, the difference between using 35 and 33.5 is 2812 vs 2938 driveshaft rpm.

Or another way is to skip the tire diameter altogether...

Driveshaft speed = Revolutions/mile * axle ratio * (vehicle speed/60)
A tire will vary in revs/mile depending on the psi.

Measuring the hub center height x2 is more accurate to your Jeep and your tire pressure. The more accurate (but nearly identical method) is to determine your speed via GPS at a certain engine rpm and use a calculator like GrimmJeeper to adjust the tire size until the engine rpm and gps speed match. That number will be the hub center height x2.

Reactions: psrivats
Not sure why that would be. Revolution has a listing for “Dana 44” from 3.55-5.89 and lists a ton of vehicles. XJ/TJ are on there.

So as long as you go to an Eaton or other standard locker (I guess not ARB unless that info was incorrect), then I can’t possibly think of why you couldn’t gear a TJ Rubi to 5.89 after ditching the stock lockers since they use the same LP gearset f/r. Unless I’m missing something but I don’t see what I’d be missing here since Revolution lists the TJ.

5.89 Revolution Dana 44 Gears
Have those been available all this time?

Understood. I guess my experience with variable pots is that they tend to drift due to temperature and vibration etc. That being said, there very well may be a potentiometer inside the speedohealer that you cant even see.
I've used many of the turn to adjust types starting with the Superlift version, then Dakota Digital until they messed that all up and now the Jet Accuspeed. None of them have drifted or changed correction value. Maybe I don't know what is being turned to correct the signal but whatever it is, it appears to be fairly steady.

Exactly. That's what both of the mentioned solutions do. Sounds like Blaine prefers to turn a knob until the speedometer reads correctly, the speedo healer does some math in between to adjust it by a percentage.

I don't know what the signal format is; I always figured it was some sort of frequency or pulse width modulation but if a simple potentiometer works then it would have to be a scaled voltage. Unless the potentiometer solutions Blaine mentions are not literally just a potentiometer but an adjustment knob that shifts the modulation.
Unless I've missed something in the documentation and the install videos, the speedohealer only attaches at the transfer case, not at the PCM.

No other specific brand was discussed other than a generic reference to one that had a knob you turn. I have no idea where that one attaches, probably anywhere you want since I believe you have to cut into the harness to install it. But as my objective is plug and play that's not really what I'm after.

I did find another brand called SpeedoDRD which might be plug and play but theres little to no information out there about it and I wasn't able to find any install documentation to see which end it attached to.

I've noticed some ratios use different tooth counts between thick vs standard...the thick uses the smaller tooth counts. Gear design is outside my wheelhouse so the only thing I could infer from that was that they'd prefer the larger tooth cross section afforded by the smaller tooth count but are forced by the thinner gear into the more numerous, shallower teeth. Following that logic, maybe they just don't think they can get enough tooth area into the thickness of the standard ring gear.
A tire will vary in revs/mile depending on the psi.

Measuring the hub center height x2 is more accurate to your Jeep and your tire pressure. The more accurate (but nearly identical method) is to determine your speed via GPS at a certain engine rpm and use a calculator like GrimmJeeper to adjust the tire size until the engine rpm and gps speed match. That number will be the hub center height x2.

Yes, though I have a theory I've been wanting to test out:

1. A significant determiner of a tires load capacity is the heat generated by sidewall and contact patch deflection at speed.
2. The tire is designed to have a specific contact patch to achieve its intended treadwear characteristics.

Which leads me to theorize that the ideal pressure for any vehicle may be the one that results in the same sidewall deflection as the manufacturer designed it for at max load rating and max inflation pressure. It's a variation on the chalk test, but instead of using my opinion of what the contact patch should look like, it uses the one developed by the multimillion dollar R&D budget of the tire manufacturer.

To test it I plan to adjust the pressure until my hub height matches what I calculate from the revs/mile and see if it results in a reasonably comfortable ride. If it returns a pressure I that sucks to ride on or is too low for me to be confident in, then I'll consider the theory disproven and start using my hub height at 25psi in my calculations.

Reactions: bitbyte
Unless I've missed something in the documentation and the install videos, the speedohealer only attaches at the transfer case, not at the PCM.

No other specific brand was discussed other than a generic reference to one that had a knob you turn. I have no idea where that one attaches, probably anywhere you want since I believe you have to cut into the harness to install it. But as my objective is plug and play that's not really what I'm after.

I did find another brand called SpeedoDRD which might be plug and play but theres little to no information out there about it and I wasn't able to find any install documentation to see which end it attached to.

It intercepts the signal at the transfer case and transmits a new one to the pcm. It just does it at the transfer case because there's a connector there that you can unplug, then plug one into the sensor and one into the harness.

Reactions: mrblaine
It intercepts the signal at the transfer case and transmits a new one to the pcm. It just does it at the transfer case because there's a connector there that you can unplug, then plug one into the sensor and one into the harness.
ok, I had assumed that the other end of the cable at the PCM also had a connector.

Do you drive at 70ish mph on the interstate? Are you regularly driving up hills and mountains? If yes, I'd seriously consider 5.13s. I'd only go 4.88 if I was driving 80+ mph regularly, lived in the flatlands and seldomly encountered hills and mountains.
Appreciate the insight. I don't plan to trailer at any point, so I'm often driving a good distance to trails. With the 4.88 am I just looking at spending more time in 4th gear while climbing? I'm concerned that with the 5.13 I'll be winding out RPM's if I spend a good amount of time on the freeway to reach destinations.... with the significant $$$ associated with regearing, I want to give myself the best chance of being happy with it! I guess worst case I could always make the tires bigger or smaller!

Appreciate the insight. I don't plan to trailer at any point, so I'm often driving a good distance to trails. With the 4.88 am I just looking at spending more time in 4th gear while climbing? I'm concerned that with the 5.13 I'll be winding out RPM's if I spend a good amount of time on the freeway to reach destinations.... with the significant $$$ associated with regearing, I want to give myself the best chance of being happy with it! I guess worst case I could always make the tires bigger or smaller!
It's all relative. I'm running 35s with 5.13s and (6 speed which has a .84 overdrive) at 70mph I'm turning ~3,000rpm comfortably. If you consider 2,800 rpm at 70 mph winding it out, then I'd stick with 4.88s. As Jerry pointed out increased weight and rolling resistance should be factored into gear selection. Check out grimmjeeper.com for more info on the effect different gears will have on your set up.

Last edited: