4.88, 5.13 or 5.38 debacle

My concern is there will be times it is driven on snow covered roads and I hear bad things can happen with lunchbox lockers.
Auto lockers in the front in the snow when giving it gas tend to spin both the front tires, obviously. That in turn takes away your ability to be able to steer. You give it gas turn the wheel and the jeep keeps going straight, can be a bit scary. "My opinion," if your going to drive in the snow you have to have a selectable up front.

There are some out there that suggest if your going to go with just one selectable locker to put it in the front axel. What say the TJ guru's? I've been thinking of locking the front and staying with the LSD in the rear.
no, don't do that. Let me include my experience. Previous vehicle was a 97 TJ Sport, I had swapped in a HP 30 upfront and a ford 8.8 out back. I wanted OX (selectable) lockers all around, but came upon the front one first so had it installed. By itself, I don't believe it helped me up anything any better than before it was installed because the front end unweights. In fact, I had to pull cable in South Dakota getting up a waterfall that the next TJ (unlocked!) made it up by using his parking brake to activate power over to the other side on the rear axle! Props to the driver as well, but my expensive front locker was a fail that day. Sure did enjoy it tho when the rear OX came along.

Last edited:
Reactions: MutantNinjaTJ