4" lift questions

New to me stockish 99 sahara 4.0 tj. Looking to go to a 4" lift for stage 1 of this project. Looking for a inexpensive budget lift. Ive seen rough country and zone around the 500 dollar price point. Im not interested in higher end control arms at this stage (mid or long arms) this is more of a get it in the air and drivable for a while. Im looking mainly @ amazon as i have $400 in a gift card. Ive looked at piecing a kit together but at the moment there isnt a good selection of stuff to piece together a 4" kit without being over 4-500 bucks for used take off stuff

My goal is to get the initial lift on with a goal of 35"s. This is a toy and not a daily driver as i have a f350 for daily driving and a f250 for a work truck. Outside of the budget kit i think ive decided to do front and rear jks adj tracbars, and likely a sye (possibly not right away unless needed). Once lifted i will probably hunt down some take offs on marketplace between 33-35s for it to be drivable. After the lift i plan to swap in a izuzu trooper rear axle amd fab brackets. This should make it livable to play off road given their 4.56 stock gears amd burly strength. Keep in mind this axle is around 200 bucks from a sccrapyard with discs amd geared vs the ungodly amount to do any jeep 44 or 8.8 and gears. The front will depend on what i can source ibe seen a few gear sets for tj and xj axles that are 4.56. The xj axle would be better likely driveline wise but arnt as plentiful as when i had a xj 20yrs ago. The goal is to have a drivable jeep for a while to enjoy it a bit while i gather parts for further mods or decide to stop where im at with it. At this point my eventual goal is 02-04 superduty axles, a tj6 style strech and probably 37" or 40". Also some sort of 4 link build. Im fairly sure that is a farther out goal as i will probably look at drivetrain upgrades first amd should have a better idea of which direction i want to go concerning the engine/tranny

Pics of jeep when i picked her up amd ran her thru a carwash. Still pretty filthy but i need some motivation to keep progressing

20220716_222631.jpg

20220716_222654.jpg

20220716_222644.jpg

I’ve used the zone 4” lift that come with lower arms and I run 35s. It flexes just fine and I’ve ran it pretty hard in the rocks and in the desert.
Perfect? No, not by a long shot but it’s good enough for now

F6F72EDF-7031-4F4B-9544-FB16408F7208.jpeg

1420AAED-C35B-4F96-945A-DE9E91467D96.jpeg

Reactions: Sensei and JMT
New to me stockish 99 sahara 4.0 tj. Looking to go to a 4" lift for stage 1 of this project. Looking for a inexpensive budget lift. Ive seen rough country and zone around the 500 dollar price point. Im not interested in higher end control arms at this stage (mid or long arms) this is more of a get it in the air and drivable for a while. Im looking mainly @ amazon as i have $400 in a gift card. Ive looked at piecing a kit together but at the moment there isnt a good selection of stuff to piece together a 4" kit without being over 4-500 bucks for used take off stuff

My goal is to get the initial lift on with a goal of 35"s. This is a toy and not a daily driver as i have a f350 for daily driving and a f250 for a work truck. Outside of the budget kit i think ive decided to do front and rear jks adj tracbars, and likely a sye (possibly not right away unless needed). Once lifted i will probably hunt down some take offs on marketplace between 33-35s for it to be drivable. After the lift i plan to swap in a izuzu trooper rear axle amd fab brackets. This should make it livable to play off road given their 4.56 stock gears amd burly strength. Keep in mind this axle is around 200 bucks from a sccrapyard with discs amd geared vs the ungodly amount to do any jeep 44 or 8.8 and gears. The front will depend on what i can source ibe seen a few gear sets for tj and xj axles that are 4.56. The xj axle would be better likely driveline wise but arnt as plentiful as when i had a xj 20yrs ago. The goal is to have a drivable jeep for a while to enjoy it a bit while i gather parts for further mods or decide to stop where im at with it. At this point my eventual goal is 02-04 superduty axles, a tj6 style strech and probably 37" or 40". Also some sort of 4 link build. Im fairly sure that is a farther out goal as i will probably look at drivetrain upgrades first amd should have a better idea of which direction i want to go concerning the engine/tranny

Hey! A Lubbockite. I lived there about 10 years. Married a girl from there. What do you need a 4” lift and 35’s for there!? 😂 or especially 37’s or 40’s?! Just messing’ with you. The 4.25” Zone combo is a good choice. Great for 33’s, could slip by w 35’s if you bumpstopped it and lost some uptravel. I’d do 33’s since this is just a stepping stone.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Last edited:
Are you talking about the lift or those tires? @jjvw loves those things. :sick:

p.s. Why do people park their Jeeps on shit, jump out and then take a Jeep selfie? Lack of friends with cell phones or just showing off that you adjusted the parking brake correctly? :unsure:

Both.
It’s a flex test. Have you never taken a picture of your Jeep?

Hey! A Lubbockite. I lived there about 10 years. Married a girl from there. What do you need a 4” lift and 35’s for there!? 😂 or especially 37’s or 40’s?! Just messing’ with you. The 4.25” Zone combo is a good choice. Great for 33’s, could slip by w 35’s if you bumpstopped it and lost some uptravel. I’d do 33’s since this is just a stepping stone.

There are places to play but you have to look. Several years ago they had a 4x club that would wheel off the caprock near post. I had a fun homebrew xj before they were really cool.

There are places to play but you have to look. Several years ago they had a 4x club that would wheel off the caprock near post. I had a fun homebrew xj before they were really cool.

There’s that new place up near Palo Duro. It wasn’t open when I was around. Big place!

There’s that new place up near Palo Duro. It wasn’t open when I was around. Big place!

Havent looked in a few years but the sand drags at the Canadian river were a fun time. I think the last time i went was when my 22yr old was about 4. Its been about that long since i had a jeep too.

Reactions: JMT
Havent looked in a few years but the sand drags at the Canadian river were a fun time. I think the last time i went was when my 22yr old was about 4. Its been about that long since i had a jeep too.

Welcome back into a Jeep!