4 Low is not low enough

Bob.Gibson

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have a 2004 Auto TJ with 31" tyres.
When descending very steep inclines the lowest gear is not low enough and I frequently need to use the brakes.
This is not a problem on short inclines but some places I go are very steep for long durations.
Any suggestions.

I thought I read that there was a transfer case available that had two low ratios. Was I mistaken?

Your fortunate, because the 42RLE allows you to install a Rubicrawler. It's basically a doubler that gets you 3 speeds with the 231 and 4 if you have a 241.

https://www.advanceadapters.com/pro...r-auxillary-crawl-box-for-42rle-transmission/
iMhfuvT.jpg

Reactions: billiebob
The Rubicrawler replaces the empty tail housing that the 42RLE has and bolts directly to your transfer case. The install is fairly easy, with the cable shifter being the most difficult part. I've been running one now for a couple years and it's my favorite modification to date.

xYNa5Vp.jpg

Wouldn't a Rubicrawler be even better with the proper axle gearing?

Yes, but it helps a lot!

Features: The RubiCrawler increases your available gear ratios allowing you to gear your Jeep to the terrain in which you're wheeling on. The various ratios will allow you more control of the vehicle which results in extreme off road performance while maintaining a fun and safe offroading experience. Ratios with a Stock New Process 231/241 are a 2.72:1 and a 7.40:1 Ratios with a Stock NP Rocktrac are a 2.72:1, 4.0:1 and a 10.88:1

Reactions: Larry221
If you keep the stock ratios you keep all the advantages of a taller gear on the highway yet the Rubicrawler gives you better than Rubicon gear reduction off road. And you don't waste money on a regear. I can't imagine needing gearing lower than low, low, low with the Rubicrawler.

With the 42RLE 4 speed automatic,
A Rubicon with 4.10s stock gives overall reduction of 16.40 in direct, 3rd gear in 4LO
A Sport with 3.07s and the Rubicrawler gives overall reduction of 22.63 in 3rd gear in 4LO, Rubicrawler LO

Last edited:
If you keep the stock ratios you keep all the advantages of a taller gear on the highway yet the Rubicrawler gives you better than Rubicon gear reduction off road. And you don't waste money on a regear. I can't imagine needing gearing lower than low, low, low with the Rubicrawler.

With the 42RLE 4 speed automatic,
A Rubicon with 4.10s stock gives overall reduction of 16.40 in direct, 3rd gear in 4LO
A Sport with 3.07s and the Rubicrawler gives overall reduction of 22.63 in 3rd gear in 4LO, Rubicrawler LO

Guess it depends on factory gearing and tire size. And we only know one of those things from OPs post.

Hey Guys that was an enormous help thanks heaps.
I will try and source a Rubicrawler.
May be difficult here in New Zealand so may have to import.
What price do they go for?