42RLE, 32s and 5.13 gears?

06lj

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Has anybody ever run 5.13s with 32s on a 42rle? I am looking to re-gear the Jeep in the near future. I tend to bounce back and forth between my 32s and 33s depending on what I'm doing. It appears that there is only about 130 rpm difference between the two at 65mph. I'm leaning towards the 5.13's unless there is something I am missing.

Unless you would be extremely over geared, always go with the worse case scenario, and gear to that. I agree with Jerry above.

No, but I ran my 42RLE with 4.88 gears and 33s and regretted it. If I could do it over, I would have gone 5.13, or maybe even 5.38. The 42RLE needs the deepest gears it can get.

I'm happy with my 42RLE + 265/75R16s with 4.88s. Well I mean apart from the vibrations. if I were to run 33s, I will have definitely gone with 5.13s minimum.

During one of the stages of my build, I was running 35s and 5.38s with the 42RLE. It was very nice with no problems at highway speed. The 42RLE overdrive ratio is so overly tall, there should be no concern about gearing too aggressively.

I'd like to do the same as you, go to 5.13 gears on my current 32s. I doubt I would ever go bigger than 285/75 16.

I believe John Buss at Maddie's Garage in Hillsboro is good - @psrivats

I'd like to do the same as you, go to 5.13 gears on my current 32s. I doubt I would ever go bigger than 285/75 16.

I believe John Buss at Maddie's Garage in Hillsboro is good - @psrivats

Yes - John is very good but he doesn't like to do very many Ring and Pinion installs since he doesn't have the time/manpower these days. His strong recommendation is to go to 6 States (in NE PDX) for R&P installations. 6 states is a good shop for this work for sure.

Reactions: zebra12 and Chris
Jeep west for your regear.
Over 30 years experience. regear jobs are being done daily, not occasionally.
Itll be hard to beat the yukon gear prices, 2 day turnaround.

20191119_135958.jpg

20191117_153206.jpg

20191108_140254.jpg

Those look like good shops. I'm in southern Oregon, though. Portland might be a little far and hopefully I can avoid the drive.

When I got mine re-geared and Truetracked (I just made up a word), I looked for a shop that seemed to know their shit, and price was secondary. Now I wouldn't have paid a lot more than the norm, but a hundred or two more was worth it. My gears are dead silent, no leaks, everything is fine. I sure would have hated fighting with some hacks, that while cheaper, didn't know what they were doing.