42RLE automatic transmission has pause from 3rd to 4th gear upshift

Ugh - gotta love those engineers! I would definitely try the salvage yards. @Chris posted a link to an on-line database of sorts to find parts. Maybe he can repost it here. And not sure about the breather tube. When I had mine out it was all coated with crap and I cleaned it up but haven't looked since. I would check but we got a foot of snow last night so crawling under it right now is not something I am overly enthusiastic about! lol

Ugh - gotta love those engineers! I would definitely try the salvage yards. @Chris posted a link to an on-line database of sorts to find parts. Maybe he can repost it here. And not sure about the breather tube. When I had mine out it was all coated with crap and I cleaned it up but haven't looked since. I would check but we got a foot of snow last night so crawling under it right now is not something I am overly enthusiastic about! lol

LOL but you don't need to crawl under to check your breather tube. It's right by the tranny dipstick.

Long story, but mine isn't. It fell down when I was putting the transmission in and I didn't notice it until it was too late. Now it is stuck down behind the block, wedged at the top of the bell housing. It isn't in a bad place from a water standpoint, at least for daily driving so it is on the list of 'gotta fix that someday' tasks! If I get under there, I might as well take the time to route it up where it belongs, which ain't gonna happen until the snow melts! And now that I think of it, mine is the transfer case breather tube that is tucked down there. My transmission only has the breather hole on the front by the pump.

Last edited:
Nope. It's the cable that connects to that. In the pic below you can see it's a little spherical thing that comes WITH the $85 cable :/
I'll need to engineer something.
One last thing, does you tranny breather tube collect oil at it's mouth? I'm not talking a lot, just enough to coat it and have dirt and dust then stick to it.

View attachment 79297
That looks like a tiny Heim joint like the ones you often see in aftermarket track bars

For that little plastic one, I'd bet the ball part just popped into the retainer. If your shifter has been operating by having that retainer hooked around something, I can't imagine that it is undamaged and able to hold the ball, even if you could find one.

X2 on looking in salvage yards for the entire cable. Might also try Ebay.

Long story, but mine isn't. It fell down when I was putting the transmission in and I didn't notice it until it was too late. Now it is stuck down behind the block, wedged at the top of the bell housing. It isn't in a bad place from a water standpoint, at least for daily driving so it is on the list of 'gotta fix that someday' tasks! If I get under there, I might as well take the time to route it up where it belongs, which ain't gonna happen until the snow melts! And now that I think of it, mine is the transfer case breather tube that is tucked down there. My transmission only has the breather hole on the front by the pump.

Are you kidding me?! A breather hole?! As in no tube goes up somewhere above to keep water out? Wow, that's kind of scary. I hear you about the "gotta fix that someday"... the list keeps growing... lol.

Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
Yup, the 32RH has a small breather hole inside the bell housing on the pump. It is up pretty high so unless you forge deep water you are safe. Of course, these are Jeeps so many owners have found out the hard way. There is a fairly simple process to plug that hole and add a new one on the top of the case with a hose routed to a safer location. It involves pulling the trans and opening it up so it is one of those fixes that is generally coupled with a rebuild. When I pull mine this spring, it is also on that 'list'. I dropped the transmission last summer to replace the torque converter and cleaned the valve body. I didn't have time to rebuild it completely so when the snow melts I plan to do a full rebuild and vent relocation. I ultimately will tie both transfer case and transmission vents up by the filler tube like it should have been done by the factory.

I checked the Fluid as you suggested and it doesn’t smell burnt it’s a little dark but everything seems to be OK. I did notice that there is RTV around the transmission pan which leads me to believe the fluid was changed at one time. My neighbor suggested a local transmission shop that he recently got his manual transmission for his jeep rebuilt, he said they would do automatic transmissions and they are known to be a reliable and honest shop that caters to people with specialty cars and jeeps Thanks for all the input I appreciate it I’ll let you know if I’m going to get the transmission rebuilt And the final cost of the rebuild just in case there are local people out there who are considering the same thing for their vehicle.