42RLE starting off in second gear

callies_hero

I have 2005 with the 42RLE, 120K miles. Was driving home and the converter started locking and unlocking. Came to a stop and took off again and it started off in second, went thru all the other gears but no converter lockup. Pulled a 1776, 700, and 841 codes. Changed solenoid block twice. Fluid was like new. Pan was clean. Now if you clear the codes it will take off in first one time. Once it shifts to second it will no longer go back down to first unless you clear the codes again. Always 700 and 841 codes. Any ideas?

Could be the transmission controller inside the PCM has blown from heat buildup. That's a problem with 05-06 TJs with the automatic transmission. I'd get on the phone with @Mark cantrell at www.wranglerfix.com who is an expert on that problem with the PCM. He'll be able confirm whether he believes it's a blown PCM or not after a couple questions.

Could be the transmission controller inside the PCM has blown from heat buildup. That's a problem with 05-06 TJs with the automatic transmission. I'd get on the phone with @Mark cantrell at www.wranglerfix.com who is an expert on that problem with the PCM. He'll be able confirm whether he believes it's a blown PCM or not after a couple questions.

I contacted Mark at wranglerfix. He sold me a new PCM. Installed it and have the same issue. Not the PCM.
Any other ideas?

I contacted Mark at wranglerfix. He sold me a new PCM. Installed it and have the same issue. Not the PCM.
Any other ideas?
I'm at a complete loss after nothing you tried helped...

There is a TSB that might help, take a look at https://www.autocodes.com/pdfview.p...eep Factory Service Bulletin OBDII Code P0841

This is something I found for your P0841 code, your P0700 code is not important as it just says something is wrong. The below link doesn't give the cure but does lay out many possibilities.

https://www.transmissionrepaircostguide.com/p0841/

My transmission guy thinks it's an electrical issue. Its on the low/reverse pressure switch "A" circuit. I got a pinout of both the plug at the transmission and the TCM plug at the PCM. Checked the low/reverse pressure switch wire between the two and verified continuity. I'm kinda leaning towards the transmission plug for corrosion but have no experience or proper tools for replacing a plug.

My transmission guy thinks it's an electrical issue. Its on the low/reverse pressure switch "A" circuit. I got a pinout of both the plug at the transmission and the TCM plug at the PCM. Checked the low/reverse pressure switch wire between the two and verified continuity. I'm kinda leaning towards the transmission plug for corrosion but have no experience or proper tools for replacing a plug.
Be sure to look at the TSB information in the above link too.

If I read the links correctly, the code may indicate a faulty trans pressure sensor. Or a poor connection from the sensor to the pcm.
Also are you using the correct ATF?

If it were me, if the wiring checks ok, I’d find a way to check trans pressure manually and go from there. Monitor the pressure while driving and get it good and hot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
If I read the links correctly, the code may indicate a faulty trans pressure sensor. Or a poor connection from the sensor to the pcm.
Also are you using the correct ATF?

My understanding is the sensor is part of the solenoid pack. I've tried 2 new solenoid packs. I've checked the relevant wires between transmission pigtail and TCM/PCM for continuity. Using proper fluid.

My understanding is the sensor is part of the solenoid pack. I've tried 2 new solenoid packs. I've checked the relevant wires between transmission pigtail and TCM/PCM for continuity. Using proper fluid.

Then I would monitor the pressure manually some how.

I’m going on the assumption that the code is for low pressure.

When you check continuity did you grab and wiggle wires? Also if possible do a continuity check after driving around and getting things hot.

Last edited:
Then I would monitor the pressure manually some how.

I’m going on the assumption that the code is for low pressure.

When you check continuity did you grab and wiggle wires? Also if possible do a continuity check after driving around and getting things hot.

I checked plug terminal to plug terminal. Didn't probe wires. I would think if it were a loose wire it would be intermittent. It's constant, hot or cold.
Found a replacement pigtail. Be here in a week. We'll see then if it's the TSB issue.

So, on a hunch I unplugged both ends of the low/reverse pressure signal wire I'd tested for continuity before and tested continuity to ground, and it was grounded. Removed all the old crumbling loom I could and went through all the wires. Found what I'm pretty sure was point of contact. Re taped all the wires I could. Reloomed all the wires I could. Verified no continuity to ground. Test drove it and everything was normal. Checked for codes again. No new codes. That was it.