42RLE to 4L60 transmission swap question

I don't have those measurements but this thread could get interesting. Is there a writeup for this swap? How do you handle the computer/TCM integration? I get that the trans will work fine if it's not expecting any computer inputs, but doesn't the computer expect info back from the trans on the 42RLE?

It's within a 1/2" of the nv3550. Novak has that measurement.

Interesting. I know there are aftermarket standalone TCMs for the 4l60e, not familiar with a "non computer" though. How do you mount the CKPS?

Reactions: reddvltj
  • USA Proud
Reactions: Rickyd
Thank for the the NV3550 tip.

From Novack

The is 16.7" long and has a cast aluminum case with generous ribbing. With its removable Jeep I6 bellhousing, it measures 23.1

The 700 transmission has a main case of cast aluminum alloy with a length of 23-3/8" long.

The length looks that with the adapters it will be moving the TC about 1.5-2in further back.

We have a LJ so the rear driveshaft getting a bit shortened will not be a problem

Ok,answered my own question. The non electronic 4l60 is a 700r4 renamed.
Correct
How is it going to get its shifting input ??

Usually the 700R4s used a carb/throttle body mounted TV cable that if improperly adjusted , could burn it up quickly

"I don't have those measurements but this thread could get interesting. Is there a writeup for this swap? How do you handle the computer/TCM integration? I get that the trans will work fine if it's not expecting any computer inputs, but doesn't the computer expect info back from the trans on the 42RLE?"

I am gathering all the info I can to get the parts I will need to keep our Rubican running long after all the Computer and associated parts are NLA.

So far I have researched up and this is what I am thinking:

Engine timing will be with a standard 258 distributor and HEI module.

FI will be replace with a Offy 4 barrel manifold and a 600 CFM Holley fitted with the 3 barrel conversion and Willys float less carb system.

Reactions: ColoJeep
If you want to get away from emissions compliance i would probably get rid of the amc as well. For pcm issues you could run a manual trans setup