42RLE transmission problem

Larrybortz

Supporting Member
I had the generic 706 code and 1776, I have replaced the selenoid pack and thought it was good, now it's going into limp mode again. Replaced the tcm and no change but couldn't get the codes this time just the 706. Any ideas

Have you by any chance had the Jeep in deep water lately? Also be sure to Google the p1776 code including 42RLE and Wrangler. There are a lot of threads on that issue. I had problems with my 42RLE 2 years ago but not the same code or symptom. A solenoid assembly and a Transgo Stage 1 kit took care of mine though I'm not sure if the Transgo kit had anything to do with it.

Good luck with it, I know the frustration you're feeling right now

I had the same codes and limp mode on my 06. Take it to a trusted transmission shop. They'll be able to tell you if it's an electrical vs mechanical issue like torque converter not locking up.

Don't drive it in limp mode if you can avoid it.

I'd check if the fluid smells burnt. That with those issues spelled the end for mine. My pcm was bad too and I replaced that first as you did.

There are quite a few threads about 2004 TJs with P1776 but few that follow through to resolution.

I don't think that P1776 is necessarily the solenoid pack. The code indicates that the Solenoid Switch Valve is stuck in L/R. The switch valve itself is in the valve body. Could be that the valve is stuck or that the solenoid pack isn't directing fluid flow properly because of a short in the wiring harness.

I think it's time to start tracing the wiring from the TCM to the transmission. If no wiring issues are found, rather than dropping the valve body again, I think I would take it to a shop where they can perform pressure tests to determine if the valve is indeed stuck.

Last edited:
There are quite a few threads about 2004 TJs with P1776 but few that follow through to resolution.

I don't think that P1776 is necessarily the solenoid pack. The code indicates that the Solenoid Switch Valve is stuck in L/R. The switch valve itself is in the valve body. Could be that the valve is stuck or that the solenoid pack isn't directing fluid flow properly because of a short in the wiring harness.

I think it's time to start tracing the wiring from the TCM to the transmission. If no wiring issues are found, rather than dropping the valve body again, I think I would take it to a shop where they can perform pressure tests to determine if the valve is indeed stuck.

Found the transmission relay had some green corrosion coming out of it so changed it out and so far today I have had no code, we ran Charloue Gap today, great run hopefully it will keep working
Think it's fixed, ran all day and worked perfect. Now my Currie steering on the other hand is going to require a press, it's got a smile after I slipped off a rock in a stream we were running up.😁

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Good to hear that you got it resolved. It looks like the solenoid pack receives battery power from the RD wire coming off the relay. If there was corrosion at the relay terminals, that could certainly explain why the switch valve was not moving.

Good to hear that you got it resolved. It looks like the solenoid pack receives battery power from the RD wire coming off the relay. If there was corrosion at the relay terminals, that could certainly explain why the switch valve was not moving.

Any one have a digraph of the transmission where and what solenoids?

Any one have a digraph of the transmission where and what solenoids?

The solenoid pack is coming as a closed box, in our 42rle transmission there are no separate solenoids, just one pack.
The pack itself is attached to the valve body. You need to drop the pan, drop the valve body and then you can replace the solenoid pack.